Dahua Dome Cams for $150-$200~

maplechris

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm looking to buy some dahua dome cameras from Andy. What would you recommend in the 150-200 range for outdoor cameras? Temps here won't get too cold or hot, maybe -10 Celsius and +30 Celsius. I'm having a hard time deciphering between all the model #s but from everything I've seen, dahua is the way to go. I'm using in conjunction with blue iris and I have a POE ubiquiti switch to run the power/networking. What would you guys recommend? Is this a feasible per camera price point?
Thanks,
Chris

jasburrito

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There needs to be a sticky with all the good cams. Pictures,spec,prices. Way to confusing. If there is. Link. Thanks

tkinkade

n3wb
Reaction score
The Cliff Notes are fantastic. I refer to them often.

It covers a wide range of topics so making it a sticky post in just the Hikvision, Blue Iris or Dahua camera forum doesn't seem appropriate. I haven't found it as a sticky but agree that it should a sticky or wiki entry rather than in Google Doc form. Maybe lumped in with the other docs on the "Resource Guide on IP technology for all Noobs" is a better place to house the doc while it's converted into a wiki page or sticky?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm looking to buy some dahua dome cameras from Andy. What would you recommend in the 150-200 range for outdoor cameras? Temps here won't get too cold or hot, maybe -10 Celsius and +30 Celsius. I'm having a hard time deciphering between all the model #s but from everything I've seen, dahua is the way to go. I'm using in conjunction with blue iris and I have a POE ubiquiti switch to run the power/networking. What would you guys recommend? Is this a feasible per camera price point?
The Cliff Notes should answer this, but Dahua Starlight models are what most folks on here go for, as their nighttime performance is the best for the price. Hikvision makes similar cameras (Ultra Low Light models), but they came out many months after Dahuas, seem to have fewer options, and they don't have a reseller active on the forum (like @EMPIRETECANDY does for Dahua). From the reviews I've read, the Hikivison ULL models perform as well as the Starlights, they just never got the momentum on the forum here. There's a ton (!!) of info and support from the Dahua Starlight owners available here.

Most folks here don't do domes outside. Spiders typically cause the most problems with that form, plus crap that gets on the dome (even as simple as residue from raindrops) can cause problems with the image (or cause the IR to reflect oddly, which can make the image look ghostly/whited-out). Turrets are what most folks get.

The Dahua varifocal turret (5231R-Z, or 5231R-ZE) are probably the most popular cameras on here, and fall within your budget. They're Starlight (so the best nighttime image for the price), they're varifocal (so you'll be able to electronically adjust the zoom after you get them installed), and they have a great microphone.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Thanks,
Chris
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE