Dahua duds or User dud?

simsrw73

n3wb
Reaction score
After lurking for a bit, I picked up what seemed the most highly rated first camera: EmpireTech IPC-T5442T-ZE through Amazon. Couldn't get it to work. Ordered a replacement and can't get it to work. Now, I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I've tried powering it through a POE port on my Mikrotik router, through a TP-Link POE+ Injector, and through a switchable Belker 12V Power Supply. I've configured my PC to the correct network, setting my IP to 192.168.1.1 or .10 or .110. I can't access the camera through http, ping, nor the config tool. I've tried the reset button. I can't tell if there is any type of power indicator on the device, but if there is, it is not lit. What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
After lurking for a bit, I picked up what seemed the most highly rated first camera: EmpireTech IPC-T5442T-ZE through Amazon. Couldn't get it to work. Ordered a replacement and can't get it to work. Now, I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I've tried powering it through a POE port on my Mikrotik router, through a TP-Link POE+ Injector, and through a switchable Belker 12V Power Supply. I've configured my PC to the correct network, setting my IP to 192.168.1.1 or .10 or .110. I can't access the camera through http, ping, nor the config tool. I've tried the reset button. I can't tell if there is any type of power indicator on the device, but if there is, it is not lit. What am I doing wrong?
The camera IP out of the box is 192.168.1.108
check your ip and subnet mask--
You need to have a 192.168.1.x address AND a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask. :thumb:

EDIT--- and preferably get your computer connected by ethernet on the same switch.

simsrw73

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you downloaded Dahua's Toolbox and tried the Config tool?
Yes. Downloaded, installed, set the search range, and searched, but found nothing.

Does the link detect LED come on at the PoE switch or router that you connected the camera to?
It momentarily flashes amber and then goes out. When directly connected to PC, Windows shows cable unplugged.

When you plug it in, within the first 15 seconds or so you will hear the IR filter click and if in a dark room you would see the red IR - do either of those happen?
No sounds nor lights that I could find.

You need to have a 192.168.1.x address AND a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask. :thumb:
Check I tried a few addresses in that range and set the subnet.

EDIT--- and preferably get your computer connected by ethernet on the same switch.
Mostly trying direct connect through PC to get it configured, but I tried it once after reconfiguring my Mikrotik to see if I could use Its POE port.

I've also tried several ethernet cables that I verified as good.

Am I just unlucky and got two bad cameras back to back?

PS: On the second camera, I tried powering in the reverse order I did the first camera on the off chance that one of my devices was surging or something. Not really familiar enough with POE to know if that's a possibility but I was playing it safe.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

simsrw73

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I've tried powering via:
All without success.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you sure of the polarity with that Belker supply? Center pin is positive at the camera end, shell is negative.

Reaction score
I think that tp-link injector might be the most trustworthy item on your list right now.... do you have ANY other standard POE devices you could use to test whether it's working correctly? I think your instincts are accurate--- very doubtful that 2 brand new 5442 cams were "bad" --- there is something else going on....

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It still doesn't sound right to me, two duds in a row. Do you have any other PoE devices plugged in to either of those switches and working?

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
don't these cameras normally default to DHCP for their network configuration? I plug one in, and look at the latest DHCP leases on my router to find the IP of the camera, then set that as a DHCP reservation on the router. Of the 3 or so different cameras I've tried to date, the HiKvision required running their config utility and enabling DHCP first, the others just came up in DHCP out of box

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua come with 192.168.1.108 as the default IP of all their cameras to my knowledge. If it's not powering up it's a moot point anyway.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your Ethernet cables and/or patch cables: do they ALL pass muster as follows:
  • In other words, do they all have all 4 pairs, terminated T-568B on both ends?
  • Can you confirm correct order and continuity of each cable with a Ethernet cable tester?
T568B_RJ45_pinout.jpg tester1.jpg

simsrw73

n3wb
Reaction score
I think that tp-link injector might be the most trustworthy item on your list right now.... do you have ANY other standard POE devices you could use to test whether it's working correctly?
It still doesn't sound right to me, two duds in a row. Do you have any other PoE devices plugged in to either of those switches and working?
I can power my MikroTik Audience AP with either the POE port on my router or the TP-Link Injector, so that seems ok. That's the only other POE device I have at the moment.

Your Ethernet cables and/or patch cables: do they ALL pass muster as follows:
  • In other words, do they all have all 4 pairs, terminated T-568B on both ends?
  • Can you confirm correct order and continuity of each cable with a Ethernet cable tester?
I have used these ethernet cables before, but I tested on my Klein VDV526-100 Lan Explorer tester and they pass.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Something still is not right, at least to me. I can understand a PoE board in the camera failing but what you're describing is two cameras in a row that have failed power supplies, PoE and 12VDC sides. That's really strange to say the least.

Have you tried the old reset trick? Pull the cover for the SD card and hold the reset switch down, then apply power and keep holding that button down for about 15 or 20 seconds after applying power. You may find it easier to do if you use a small tool to hold that little button, my big fingers can't even get to it. I'd try that with the Belker power supply and the camera plugged directly into the PC with the right IP set in the PC.

simsrw73

n3wb
Reaction score
Something still is not right, at least to me. I can understand a PoE board in the camera failing but what you're describing is two cameras in a row that have failed power supplies, PoE and 12VDC sides. That's really strange to say the least.
No argument. That's why my first reaction is: what am I doing wrong? Then again, if anyone is going to have such perfect (bad) luck, it would definitely be me.

Have you tried the old reset trick? Pull the cover for the SD card and hold the reset switch down, then apply power and keep holding that button down for about 15 or 20 seconds after applying power. You may find it easier to do if you use a small tool to hold that little button, my big fingers can't even get to it. I'd try that with the Belker power supply and the camera plugged directly into the PC with the right IP set in the PC.
I had tried a few variations on reset. And just tried again with your instructions, but still no change. Still not even an indication that the camera is getting power: no light or sound other than a mocking laugh from somewhere deep inside.