Dahua DVR not recognising new or existing HDD

GreenEnvy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

My Dahua HCVR5108HS-S3 DVR started audibly alerting me of an HDD error. It was not showing/recognising the existing HDD. I thought this would be a simple fix by simply replacing the "dead" HDD with a new one. This is where the mystery begins...

So I replaced the old Seagate HDD with a new Seagate SV35 3TB but the error persisted. I then used my desktop PC to check if the drives had any errors which is when I discovered that both the old and new drives had no issues and were functioning properly. I've even changed the SATA cable just to be sure as the HDD definitely has power.

The DVR does not recognise either HDD or allow me to detect/select a HDD for formatting even though they both are functioning correctly.

Any suggestions on how to rectify the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Kendive

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure if you have the option or have tried but does your NVR have a second HDD Port you could try that?

I know my Dahua NVR5232-16P-4KS2E has two HDD Ports. I installed a WD Purple 10GB with no issues and plan on adding a second one soon.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure if you have the option or have tried but does your NVR have a second HDD Port you could try that?

I know my Dahua NVR5232-16P-4KS2E has two HDD Ports. I installed a WD Purple 10GB with no issues and plan on adding a second one soon.
The 5108 is a 1 slot hdd. I suggest you hook up a monitor to the NVR (hdmi/vga), and start the HDD manager on there - it can do SMART read-outs and media scanning. That will tell you more I hope.

Hope this helps!
CC

GreenEnvy

n3wb
Reaction score
The 5108 is a 1 slot hdd. I suggest you hook up a monitor to the NVR (hdmi/vga), and start the HDD manager on there - it can do SMART read-outs and media scanning. That will tell you more I hope.

Hope this helps!
CC
I have a monitor connected to the NVR and in the HDD manager it doesn’t show any drive connected, nor does it give me the option to detect or format a drive. I’ve also updated the firmware but I’m still having the same issue.

GreenEnvy

n3wb
Reaction score

Unfortunately my NVR only has one HDD slot.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like you are running out of options, Not sure what that NVR looks like under the hood but you could try to replace the Data Cable from the board to the Hard drive. Can you hear or feel the drive spinning up when powered on? If Not you might have a power issue, If so if you had a spare PS hanging around, you could try to power it externally and then see if it picks it up. What happens if u plug a usb drive into the unit? Will the NVR pick that up? If not then you might have a fault on your board. You always plug a 2 to 1 sata to molex and test your voltages.

johanr

n3wb
Reaction score
I had the same problem,i installed a new hdd and it did not recognise the hdd.
It turned out to be a power supply problem,my inverter from 220v to 12v brought to little power. I plugged in another powersupply and it worket perfectly.

Reaction score
I had the same problem,i installed a new hdd and it did not recognise the hdd.
It turned out to be a power supply problem,my inverter from 220v to 12v brought to little power. I plugged in another powersupply and it worket perfectly.
Hello: I just wanted to say I had the same problem with the power supply, and thanks to this discussion (but only after many hours of swapping HDs and cables), I have now fixed my unit. It was indeed the PS. I did want to say my unit is a dahua DVR (don't know the model), but had only one HD input. My power supply was a 12v, 2amp, positive tip (i.e. negative on the outside). Hope this helps someone else.

Reaction score
Hello.
I found the solution! Why doesn't he see the hdd anymore. Simple. I changed the charger with 2 Amps / 30w.
Immediately NVR Dahua saw all the hard drives I had tried before.
Solved. Case closed