Dahua H265 and Synology Surveillance Station

kaisersoze

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone had any experience with a Dahua camera using H265 with Synology Surveillance Station (latest version 8.0)? I have the IPC-HDW4830EM-AS which works with H264 and H264+ (Smart Codec) with the native Surveillance Station HDW-4830 profile. Any H265 streams from this camera results in no video. I have no other H265 cameras to test with.

H265 or H265+ = Blank screen, audio present on playback only
H264 or H264+ = Video and Audio

Testing with VLC:
VLC with direct RTSP stream, it detects H265 and streams the video and audio.
Downloaded the Synology video file: I get audio only with no video. "Codec info" shows no video codec, only the audio codec

ONVIF:
I tried ONVIF function on Surveillance Station, it requires the admin login (which I am not happy with) and the H265 codec still doesn't work. ONVIF doesn't pick up stream 3 option when available.

Additional quirks:
Stream 2 is limited to D1 and CIF resolution
Stream 3 is limited to 720P and D1 resolutions
If smart codec is turned on (H265 or H264), Stream 3 is automatically removed
Synology Surveillance Station IPC-HDW-4830-EM-AS profile only has 2 streams, even if stream 3 is available

Last edited:

kaisersoze

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I've put in a ticket. Synology Surveillance Station ver 8.0 is supposed to support H265. I do not have any other H265 capable cameras at this time to test it.

I should modify that statement about "any H265 stream" to "Any H265 streams from this camera results in no video. I have no other H265 cameras to test with."

Last edited:

LGT

n3wb
Reaction score
Synology just officially started supporting some Dahua cameras this week. Are you running Surveillance Station with Device Pack 5.0.0-2055 or greater (right now mine is 5.1.0-2017). Make sure it is running and not stopped.

Putimir

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, yes, I have some experience and here are my findings (please correct me if I'm wrong)

1. ONVIF Profile S does not support H.265 (source: IPVM.com, however there is some new info for the 2.6.1 version - https://www.onvif.org/specs/rl/ONVIF_SpecSet_RL_2.6.1.pdf)
2. Dahua HEVC streams with devices using FW prior to 12.2016 have problems/incompatibility with the Synology implementation of the decoder (confirmed by Synology support team). At least, i had success in terms no-video/yes-video :) by upgrading some of my cameras to latest FW (more precise: IPC-HDW5231R-Z upgraded from idontrememberwhich -> 2.460.0000.2.R, Build Date: 2016-12-16)

kaisersoze

n3wb
Reaction score
2. Dahua HEVC streams with devices using FW prior to 12.2016 have problems/incompatibility with the Synology implementation of the decoder (confirmed by Synology support team). At least, i had success in terms no-video/yes-video :) by upgrading some of my cameras to latest FW (more precise: IPC-HDW5231R-Z upgraded from idontrememberwhich -> 2.460.0000.2.R, Build Date: 2016-12-16)
My camera had the 2016-10-25 firmware (the penultimate firmware available), and when I upgraded to the 2016-12-16 firmware, Synology recognized the H265 stream and it is working! Thank you!!!

As I was troubleshooting this problem, I noticed on the Dahua camera log that the Surveillance Station username was logging in and out every second. I tried assigning the Synology username admin privileges, the frequent login/logouts continued. When I switched to login to the original admin login, it stopped doing that. Any alternative to giving the Surveillance Station original admin account access?

Putimir

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sure what do you mean; are you using predefined Dahua profiles or ONVIF profile for you camera/s?

I found out, that webui logins are separate (to which the SS logins when using predeifned profile) to the ONVIF logins, which are by default admin/admin and cannot be changed via webui, but with special tool (Change-onvif-password-via-onvif-device-manager)

Hope this helps

kaisersoze

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using a predefined Dahua profile on Surveillance Station (they have my exact model). I created a user "synology" on the camera webui, gave it user/viewer permissions, and entered that user on Surveillance Station. Checking the log, it showed synology logged in and out frequently every second. I gave "synology" admin permissions, still same thing. I then changed the user on Surveillance Station to admin, and voila, SS logged in once, no further login/logouts