Dahua HDBW4431R-ZS flicker/video loss due to pinched wire or defects?

HuCon

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, I joined this site when I began to install cameras for the first time on my house last week.

I purchased two HDBW4431R-ZS on Amazon and mounted them horizontally under the eaves. One on each corner looking down the driveway and angled slightly so as to keep an eye on the other camera. The cameras ship with the lens zero'd so that it's pointing out the top/center of the glass. In order to get the angle I needed I had to tilt/twist it slowly on all three axis including a twist of the lens housing to position the IR underneath the lens.

The first camera is crystal clear with no issues both day and night. The second one exhibited some discoloration and eventually began bouncing or flickering (sorry if there is a more proper term for this). Sometimes it would flicker and turn green or purple with just a slight outline of whatever was moving in the frame. Since these were from Amazon, I promptly ordered a third and returned the second cam. I configured the third (leaving it in the zero'd position) and then carefully positioned the camera upon installation. Immediately, the image began to flicker and freeze, even losing the feed altogether. Using TinyCam Pro while installing and adjusting it, I noticed that during problems with the video image only the FPS dipped to '0' while the stream maintained roughly 300-600Kbps. Wiggling the wires on the back of the lens would sometimes improve things briefly.

I'm perplexed whether I'm causing the wires to become pinched while tilting/twisting the lens into position or if this perhaps just bad luck on these two cameras. I've ordered a fourth and if still problematic I'll be returning them all and coming back here for suggested alternatives, I guess.

Much thanks!

P.S. I took both cameras back to the POE switch and tried different cables/switch ports to rule out the other components. The image issues are visible through web GUI, ISPY and with TinyCam.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, I joined this site when I began to install cameras for the first time on my house last week.

I purchased two HDBW4431R-ZS on Amazon and mounted them horizontally under the eaves. One on each corner looking down the driveway and angled slightly so as to keep an eye on the other camera. The cameras ship with the lens zero'd so that it's pointing out the top/center of the glass. In order to get the angle I needed I had to tilt/twist it slowly on all three axis including a twist of the lens housing to position the IR underneath the lens.

The first camera is crystal clear with no issues both day and night. The second one exhibited some discoloration and eventually began bouncing or flickering (sorry if there is a more proper term for this). Sometimes it would flicker and turn green or purple with just a slight outline of whatever was moving in the frame. Since these were from Amazon, I promptly ordered a third and returned the second cam. I configured the third (leaving it in the zero'd position) and then carefully positioned the camera upon installation. Immediately, the image began to flicker and freeze, even losing the feed altogether. Using TinyCam Pro while installing and adjusting it, I noticed that during problems with the video image only the FPS dipped to '0' while the stream maintained roughly 300-600Kbps. Wiggling the wires on the back of the lens would sometimes improve things briefly.

I'm perplexed whether I'm causing the wires to become pinched while tilting/twisting the lens into position or if this perhaps just bad luck on these two cameras. I've ordered a fourth and if still problematic I'll be returning them all and coming back here for suggested alternatives, I guess.

Much thanks!

P.S. I took both cameras back to the POE switch and tried different cables/switch ports to rule out the other components. The image issues are visible through web GUI, ISPY and with TinyCam.
did you check with a short premade cable, its likely user installation error...
also avoid the china region cameras.

HuCon

n3wb
Reaction score
did you check with a short premade cable, its likely user installation error...
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, tried that; although, what I didn't do was take my working camera and swap it with the cable of the faulty one. The next replacement arrived today and if same issues, I'll take pics and perform more thorough troubleshooting.

HuCon

n3wb
Reaction score
I suppose there are numerous reasons to avoid these. What's confusion for newbies like me is just what am I gaining by paying much more for English/American equivalents? -Better vendor support? -More stable/save firmware? -Better hardware QC?

I don't mind paying more for quality but at first blush it's hard for newbies like me to know why we should pass by the $90 camera for the $300+ options.

Many thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose there are numerous reasons to avoid these. What's confusion for newbies like me is just what am I gaining by paying much more for English/American equivalents? -Better vendor support? -More stable/save firmware? -Better hardware QC?

I don't mind paying more for quality but at first blush it's hard for newbies like me to know why we should pass by the $90 camera for the $300+ options.

Many thanks!
all of the above + better hardware...penny wise pound foolish..its not 90 vs 300...its 60-90 vs 100-150 or so..there are many threads that will show you why..

HuCon

n3wb
Reaction score
@fenderman Thanks. Starlights from Andy are sounding better all the time :D. I still see merit in posting my experience with the international/Chinese Dahua domes -if for no other reason than to underscore the point that you make -that the "savings" probably comes at a steep cost. And I'm curious if I just suck at installing or if these little domes are really that delicate...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman Thanks. Starlights from Andy are sounding better all the time :D. I still see merit in posting my experience with the international/Chinese Dahua domes -if for no other reason than to underscore the point that you make -that the "savings" probably comes at a steep cost. And I'm curious if I just suck at installing or if these little domes are really that delicate...
you dont have international cameras..you have hacked china region cameras...you suck at installing...the likelyhood of multiple defective cameras is zero

HuCon

n3wb
Reaction score
Lol, I guess we'll see when I break the next one with my sheer suckiness just by opening the box and plugging it in.
Serious question: is there even such a thing as "international" versions of these cameras or is that just a euphemism for hacked Chinese? If so, I repent of my ways!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, I guess we'll see when I break the next one with my sheer suckiness just by opening the box and plugging it in.
Serious question: is there even such a thing as "international" versions of these cameras or is that just a euphemism for hacked Chinese? If so, I repent of my ways!
yes, the cameras from andy are international versions that can take updates and english firmware...china hacked cameras are for china only..

HuCon

n3wb
Reaction score
Fourth camera (2nd replacement) installed yesterday and working like a champ. I did however, remove the tape which was wrapped around the folded (internal) wiring to free-up the movement while positioning it. I did not do this for the other three installs so if I was supposed to then this is likely where I messed up. That said...I'll probably be returning them all and replacing with IPC-HDW5231R-ZE.

Thanks to @fenderman for being quick to answer (tho also quick to tell me I suck.) :rolleyes:
Thanks to @giomania for pointing me to concrete and helpful info. :cool: