Dahua hfw5431E-Z

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
hello I have a spare dahua hfw5431E-Z from Empire candy. I am trying to get the best picture quality for the location/purpose. I have it full zoomed to approx to pick up cars approx 50/60 foot away driving in residential area. Currently I make out some of the letters and numbers but still not fully readable. I am posting my setting hoping someone can suggest better settings. it is a dedicated camera for LPR. I know its probably not the best application but it is a spare camera. on the first setting page brightness act all set at 50 percent default. 3d nr on, iris on daylight mode color, mode auto.resolution 2688x1520, frame rate 25, bit rate type CBR,sampling rate 16k bit rate(kb/s) 4096. Also how do I get the camera to take snap shots , I have it set to take a snap shot but no luck. any help would be appreciated

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is probably stretching the limits of a 12mm focal length. Most here don't even feel like 32mm is good enough at 65 feet.

It is the shutter speed that is important. It needs to be 1/2000 at night and all you will see is the headlight/tailight.

Look at this thread as a good starting point for settings.

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
thank you much I read the article god info. I will try to log into camera to change shutter speed.

Reaction score
What software are you using with the cam? Are you using an NVR or a PC with software? You really need to record 24/7 continuous and not just on motion or just take a snapshot.

You did not state if you were talking about in daylight or at nighttime. I have posted my current settings for one of my LPR cams below. This is not the same cam as yours, so some of the settings may not be available in your cam.

Nighttime Conditions settings:
2022-5-14 LPR-W Night Settings.JPG

Daytime conditions settings:
LPR-W Day Settings 5-8-22.JPG

Video settings:
2022-5-15 LPR-W video settings.JPG

I run at 25FPS and is probably overkill, but I get cars travelling quite fast sometimes and this gives me more frames to examine to get a plate.

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
hello samplenhold thanks for the info. I attached a scene shot of my setting. does anything stand out to you as something I should try changing. I logged into the camera thru web interface and there were no options to change shutter speed. I am going straight thru the dahua nvr with the instigated switches I have all cameras on 24/7 record

Attachments

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There has to be an option to change shutter (exposure). Look for the settings tab

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
50ft and 60ft this camera may not work well. The lens is bit limited. LPR camera have to be a powerful lens, at least 32mm.
So better use a IPC-B5442E-Z4E or a IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E. Here is a pic for around 50ft by the Z12E.

1652682744373.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using Explorer? Some options are missing unless you use explorer.

But if you cannot control shutter speed, then between the distance and this, it will not work for LPR especially at night.