Dahua in camera IVS - snapshot without SD card?

neagle392

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Dahua NVR that has very limited IVS functionality. (One IVS channel only, and older features, no human detection etc). I have two IPC-T5442TM-AS cameras that have good IVS functionality. I have setup email on them and set up IVS to detect humans under certain intrusion locations etc. It doesn't work.

I assume this is because the camera itself does not have an SD card or anywhere to actually store files to send. Obviously I could install SD cards in them, but is there a way to have the cameras store the snapshots etc in the NVR. Under storage > destination there is a way to use FTP or NAS, but I don't see a way to use my Dahua NVR as a storage device for it? Is this possible?

MY other option is my Synology NAS. Which isn't a bad idea either because it could act like a backup device to my NVR footage. BUT I also don't want to fill up my NAS. I would only want to store a couple days worth of footage on there and have it re-write. Not sure if that is possible from using the destination settings on the camera.

Any ideas?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You would need a current NVR that supports that function.
Or, put in an SD card in the camera. They're cheap.
Keep it simple.

neagle392

n3wb
Reaction score
You would need a current NVR that supports that function.
Or, put in an SD card in the camera. They're cheap.
Keep it simple.
I see.

I just set up FTP on my synology and used the destination setting in the camera to connect to my ftp. It works and it saved a regular motion detection video to my synology NAS. But it does NOT appear to be saving snapshots (even though I set the snapshot destination to the ftp). Either that, or my IVS isn't detecting or taking snapshots for some reason. I'm so confused

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Snapshots are a total pain no matter where or how. I figure if a snapshot is really needed I'd rather scrub through the event and choose the frame I want rather than an automated snapshot. So I don't bother chasing down snapshot settings. I'd be inclined to upgrade the nvr, myself. It wouldn't be a guarantee that snapshots would be any easier to work out but the upgrade in ivs per channel could make it worth it, especially if you plan on getting more new cameras too.