Dahua IPC-A46P: Ethernet over WiFi

eengineer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!

I bought this one with the intention of using it as a babycam. I found out through one of the threads about this model that they yanked the web interface, which is ridiculous.... and that the latest firmware ruined the possibility of modifying it to include the missing partition.

Now I have another issue: LeChange/LeCrappola only lets you configure WiFi.... I want to remove the WiFi connection altogether. I already configured a secondary user with SmartPSS and the rest of the features work through PSS... no IVS or anything like that but, there is that. If there is no way to shutdown WiFi I suppose I could just block the MAC address or shutdown the IPC WLAN (on its own VLAN) altogether.

Andy, if you are ready this, what other cameras with PoE are "indoor friendly"? I can't put a turret in a bedroom for obvious reasons.... but I do need good image quality and audio for the babycam(s).

Thank you all!

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Be aware that it is Chinese New Year and Andy may not be available for a week or so.

eengineer

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to get it back to work. I can get WiFi to associate and link via LeChange, but the moment I connect the ethernet cable, it loses connectivity. There is still a blue ring, and if I remove the WLAN/turn it off with the Unifi controller, it remains on so as long as the cable is connected. I had tested the camera with the same configuration in another switch. and I can confirm DHCP lease works just fine with both, and the ports are operating properly. I'm not sure if the camera got bricked somehow. It's an absolute pain though, and a first for a Dahua product.... they really messed up with the consumer line.

Dunn

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to get it back to work. I can get WiFi to associate and link via LeChange, but the moment I connect the ethernet cable, it loses connectivity. There is still a blue ring, and if I remove the WLAN/turn it off with the Unifi controller, it remains on so as long as the cable is connected. I had tested the camera with the same configuration in another switch. and I can confirm DHCP lease works just fine with both, and the ports are operating properly. I'm not sure if the camera got bricked somehow. It's an absolute pain though, and a first for a Dahua product.... they really messed up with the consumer line.
I just got the same model from Andy, works fine. Still trying to setup more features with SmartPSS. To fix that problem, I actually connected with the ethernet, then switched my wifi password to force it out of wifi mode. Works fine on ethernet now.

Reaction score
So, they apparently don't sell this model in the US.
(Probably because we don't like cloud-based solutions.)
But it's available from AliExpress where they claim firmware update ability.
No web interface for device management? THAT'S A DEAL KILLER. :(

Does anyone know if any Amcrest PTZ firmware is compatible?
Can we get into the camera's bootloader and attempt a load?
Can someone please sniff their network traffic and obtain a firmware URL?
I'm willing to purchase one and open up the hardware especially if
someone has already found the console serial port on the PCB.

Here it is.
https://fccid.io/png.php?id=3470247&page=3

Attachments

Last edited:

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@VorlonFrog

Don't disagree lack of a web interface is uncool, but bear in mind the target/main audience of such a thing probably just wants something easy to set up (P2P) and shows up on a Smartphone app.

I just got a couple of the Amcrest 841s. Was real easy and quick to set up by their app and P2P. Awesome no doubt for many, perhaps most. Us 1%ers, well, that's a different matter. ;)

Of course, after I did that, I ended up resetting to factory and playing around quite a bit to get them set up with static IPs, linked to BI, etc.

Reaction score
@Whoaru99 My problem right now is, I'm hooked on the idea of interrupting their CFE/bootloader, getting root, and trying alternate firmware. The challenge is just too enticing . . .