Dahua IPC camera prefers GMAIL SMTP ?

fa355115

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there,
I am currently setting up my IP camera to send mail notifications based on triggers.
The configuration I enter is as follow :

sender mail address : DLINKcamera@skynet.be (address is not existing, this is just to received a correct sender address)
receiver mail address : myself@skynet.be (this is my mail address at Skynet)
Server address : smtp.gmail.com
User name : myself@gmail.com (this is my gmail user name)
Password : xxxxx
Port : 587
This server is using a secured connection (StartTLS) : YES

... so I am expecting to receive a mail from DLINKcamera@skynet.be ... but instead, I receive the mail as myself@gmail.com

?!?

Is there a specific reason why GMAIL setting like this doesn't take into accout the "sender mail address" and takes instead the user name of the GMAIL account ?

Also I would like to know if you also experienced issues with NON GMAIL accounts .... I had defined previously another ISP account and all was working perfect, but had to reset the camera and recreate the configuration with that account and now it is not working anymore ... where GMAIL always passes ....

??

Many Thanks !

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a specific reason why GMAIL setting like this doesn't take into accout the "sender mail address" and takes instead the user name of the GMAIL account ?
Yes; Spam.. gmail wont allow you to send emails from your account that look like they are from another account.. never has.. the sender is always the user you login to smtp as..

otherwise you could send emails originating from: potus@whitehouse.gov or anything else you wanted.. like the spammers do.

fa355115

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok ... with my other ISP it allows that maisl are received from another sender address .... without considering it as spam ....
you could have a valid email address sending spams like a "non valid" (the one I define as sender) not being spam !

anyway, I was finding this easier so that when you get a mail, you know if this is from Camera 1 or camera 2 ...
As w workaround, I have defined an alias "Camera 1" and an alias "Camera 2" and ut that in the gmail parameters as knows aliases .... now I can use those.

als I would like to know if you also experienced issues with NON GMAIL accounts .... I had defined previously another ISP account and all was working perfect, but had to reset the camera and recreate the configuration with that account and now it is not working anymore ... where GMAIL always passes ....

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your ISP trusts you because you are on there own network; and they know where you live.. Gmail dont, and gmail hosts the majority of the worlds email accounts now days so it has alot more issues with spammers using its servers than your ISP does.. this is not functionality in the email specs that MUST be supported; the behavior you want is OPTIONAL and gmail dont implement it for valid reasons.

If you setup authorized forwards to your gmail; that its verified.. it may let you send email FROM those addresses.. my old edu email is forwarded to gmail and I can send mail from its address.

Ive used non gmail servers before w/out issue; sounds like its not setup correctly.

fa355115

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok, this is logical explanation ....
For the account, I succeeded to define my ISP SMTP as well, works, after some reboots.

I still have the issue on a DLINK camera where only GMAIL works ... but I guess this forum is not the right place to port this issue as this is DLINK