Dahua IPC-HDBW4231E-ASE vs Hikvision DS-2CD2335FWD-I

Golota

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I could use a bit of advice here. I need to buy 7 IP cameras for my house. I'm looking for decent low-light performance, as my house is in a developing area with little public lighting. I will need to monitor around 20 meters in all directions.

I'm thinking about 2 models:

- Hikvision DS-2CD2335FWD-I
Color: 0.005 lux @(F1.2, AGC ON), 0.009 Lux @ (F1.6, AGC ON), 0 lux with IR

- Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE
0.007Lux/F1.6( Color,1/3s,30IRE)0.06Lux/F1.6( Color,1/30s,30IRE) 0Lux/F1.6(IR on

Both 1/2.8” sensor size, Dashua has 2MP resolution, while the Hikvision is 3MP.

On paper, these cams should be very similar, but not sure about real life performance as the quality of the sensors could be a massive difference.

The Dahua seems to get a lot of love in this forum, but it's 20% more expensive. Has anyone had experience with both models?

Thanks.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Rule of thumb...the lower the resolution the more light collected by each segment, pixel, of the sensor. That results in better low light performance, especially in this case with the same sensor size. Like Tony I don't have any experience with the Hikivision but I do have a pair of Dahua 4231EM-ASE and they perform very well in low light situations.

Golota

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I will order 1 of each and will compare them, poist my findings. If the Hikvision does not measure up, I will keep it for the smallest area to monitor.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Dahua seems to get a lot of love in this forum, but it's 20% more expensive. Has anyone had experience with both models?
I think there was a least one person who has experience with both that posted in the DS-2CD2335FWD-I review thread:
DS-2CD2335FWD-I - Hikvision Ultra Low Light 3M camera

Do you have links to the prices you're seeing for the two models?

Also, have you seen the newer Dahua 2231 varifocal model? It's US $10 more than the 4231. The varifocal might be useful for tightening up some of your shots.
Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal

2231 on Andy's shop
4231 on Andy's shop

Both of those include DHL worldwide shipping. If you're not in a hurry, he can sometimes use the slower method most companies use and it may save some money.

civic17

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm on almost same boat but deciding between IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE and IPC-HDW2231R-ZS. They are about the same price and I rather have the varifocal on the 2231 than mic on 4231. The 2231 is also missing the Face Detection.

Question on the face detection on 4231. On the PDF Spec sheet it describes it as "In addition to scene analytics, the camera supports face detection to quickly capture a face and upload the image to a server."

Does this capture the image and then email it out as an alert with the picture attached? I remember seeing a review on youtube on a Lorex brand camera (made by Dahua) and it had this feature and that's what it did. Is this similar feature on 4231?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm on almost same boat but deciding between IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE and IPC-HDW2231R-ZS. They are about the same price and I rather have the varifocal on the 2231 than mic on 4231. The 2231 is also missing the Face Detection.

Question on the face detection on 4231. On the PDF Spec sheet it describes it as "In addition to scene analytics, the camera supports face detection to quickly capture a face and upload the image to a server."

Does this capture the image and then email it out as an alert with the picture attached? I remember seeing a review on youtube on a Lorex brand camera (made by Dahua) and it had this feature and that's what it did. Is this similar feature on 4231?
Hi @civic17

Facial detection in camera at this price point at this time is not yet what you may expect or want it to be compared to the numerous CSI and other TV episodes we have seen.

I would recommend not using that as a determining factor on your choice at this time.

( if you really need it, consider passing the video for analysis to another system which can handle the compute better )

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've got a Hikvision DS-2CD2335FWD-I here and I've been more than happy with it in comparison to the 5231s I also have.

Stability wise the Hikvision has been flawless since I bought it.

It does wash out a bit if I have the IR turned on with the front PTZ so I tend to leave that at a lower setting - I should really look into tweaking it to see if that can be resolved.

The 4:3 ratio it gives as opposed to the Dahua has been useful where it's mounted, but I have to admit I've been thinking about replacing it with another 5231 (I'm trying to hold off for a 4K Starvis+ turret) with a microphone purely because there have been a couple of issues recently where I could have done with audio in that location.