Dahua IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV quality issues

marfor

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi! I bought two IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV cameras and both have same problems. The daytime video is flashing/flickering after some seconds. I uploaded sample video .
I use brand new Dahua PFS3010-8ET-96 POE switch (30W port) and record directly to the SD card. The live stream is flashing too. Updated firmware, nothing much changed. It seems to be a huge quality problem Dahua has with this model. There are more and more users reporting same issues with this camera model.
Dahua does not answer to consumer e-mails. Maybe here are some resellers who know what is going on or can ask official explanation to this from Dahua.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I don’t see any flashing? Looks fine, maybe some noise. What is your DNR setting? Bitrate?

marfor

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe try full screen. I dont know if the flashing is exactly the right word... sorry. Even the seller saw the problem :)

Reaction score
I had to bring it up full screen to see anything. What I see is the typical problem of bit rate and frame rate, more so bit rate. What is the camera set to for bit rate and is it CBR or VBR? You may need to experiment a little with CBR. Given it's an 8MP camera, on a small sensor, I'd suggest 8192 or higher for the bit rate.

@wittaj got there first. Great minds and all.

marfor

n3wb
Reaction score
My video settings and original firmware, which i updated later.

Changing video settings (tried almost everything - smaller resolution, bitrate, codecs...) does not correct the problem. The video is little bit better if i change iframe to 150 (max).

Last edited:

wittaj

Known around here
Reaction score
Try H264 and match FPS to iframe rate.

Try 15FPS and 15 iframe rate and if that doesn't solve the pulsating, then go for 20,000 bitrate just to see and then back down to the lowest number that doesn't result in the pulsating.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I don’t see any flashing? Looks fine, maybe some noise. What is your DNR setting? Bitrate?

Ok got home and was able to look at it on a real computer screen full screen, and yeah, as I asked, I think bitrate and FPS matching Iframe along with maybe codec. I like H.264H

marfor

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you everybody for trying to help. I set codec H.264, 15FPS ,15 iframe and bitrate 8192. Bitrate 8192 is maximum i can set. I also lowered resolution but as i said before - no difference, the video still pulsating just like in the video in the first message.
I have tried almost every setting possible. As i said before, it if i set maximum iframe - 150, the video is better.
The problem seems to be too much details in the video and the camera just cant handle this. Nighttime video is ok, problem is in daytime outdoor video with lots of details - grass, trees and so on. If the camera does not have to process so much data, no problem.
Is it underpowered CPU or cheap sensor or buggy firmware, I dont know. Thats why i was hoping that someone knows the background. I am sure Dahua knows the problem.
These are my first Dahua cameras and I am really disappointed in Dahua.

Reaction score
No offense, but the camera selection seems to be the problem. 8MP on a 1/3" sensor isn't a very good combination, especially at night. Megapixels don't mean anything if the camera can't see anything, especially motion, at night without blurring due to slow shutter speeds. I have a lot of Dahua cameras and have been able to tune out any of the "pulsing" you are seeing. Most of them are 2MP on 1/2.7 or 1/2.8 sensors and some are 4MP on 1/1.8" sensors. Great night vision, with motion, as well. Chasing megapixels is not a good idea. Chase sensor size.

That said, do you notice any change in the pulsing when you make adjustments? If so, what are those setting and what were they changed from? It is possible the CPU is being overloaded due to resolution problems. Keep in mind that when you change the output resolution the camera still needs to process all 8MP before reducing the output stream to whatever you set it to. Reducing resolution also will not improve night vision since there are still the same number of physical pixels on the sensor.

kobebeef

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dalton series is the new ipcam.
Can provide the model of the processor?
Maybe it’s an image processor problem.
http://(IPCAM-URL)/cgi-bin/magicBox.cgi?action=getSystemInfo
processor= ???

marfor

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, You are right. I just do not care so much about night vision. I wanted sharp daytime video. At first I actually ordered 5MP camera, but it was out of stock and seller sent me 8 MP. I was fool enough to agree :)
I use web browser interface for settings. There are some changes if I change settings, the bigger the iframe, the better picture. Also smart codec makes video better. I will try factory reset, the latest SMD 3 firmware, and replace the network cable. Could it be the cheap cable what is causing such a problem? It is 10 meters long.

marfor

n3wb
Reaction score
Dalton series is the new ipcam.
Can provide the model of the processor?
Maybe it’s an image processor problem.
http://(IPCAM-URL)/cgi-bin/magicBox.cgi?action=getSystemInfo
processor= ???
processor=SSC339

wittaj

Known around here
Reaction score
Down at the bottom of the bitrate should be customized and then you can change it to a larger number (although for some reason the spec sheet doesn't show it allowing higher - maybe because the CPU can't handle it?)

Check if the cable is actually pure copper or CCA.

Do you have anything else on that switch? If so, temporarily unplug them and see what happens. Or try an injector if you have it.

I have found that these cameras in general do not have a lot of wiggle room for power and if you power provided is right at the cusp of what the camera needs, you still get an image but something is cutting out and messing with it.

But yeah, as others have said, that is a horrible MP on that sensor size, so the little CPU is probably designed for a lower MP and trying to cram 8MP on it is a problem.

It certainly is exhibiting what I have seen on the newer cams when the bitrate is too low.

You do not have any backlight feature enabled do you?

If you want one with the active deterrence feature, go with this as it is the proper MP on the proper sensor (I have two of them):

IPC-T5241H-AS-PV