Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Not Saving Audio Stream to Local Storage

Reaction score
Hello there,

I've got the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE doing "regular" scheduled recording to local microsd card storage. In the settings the Audio Encode is enabled on the Main Stream, and when I watch the rtsp feed you can hear the audio very well.

However, when I download all the dav & idx files from the microsd card. There doesn't seem to be any audio streams in the files. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What happens if you export the video via the Playback tab of the camera web interface?

That's how I export the clips I need here from microSD and audio is fine for me that way.

Saying that I did find that if I exported the clip using my Chromebook it's missing the audio but if I export the same clip via Chrome on a Windows PC the audio is there - I should really do some more testing around that!

Reaction score
What happens if you export the video via the Playback tab of the camera web interface?

That's how I export the clips I need here from microSD and audio is fine for me that way.

Saying that I did find that if I exported the clip using my Chromebook it's missing the audio but if I export the same clip via Chrome on a Windows PC the audio is there - I should really do some more testing around that!
Thanks for your reply reverend,

I hesitantly installed that SmartPSS software, and once I got the firewall blocking the strange UDP calls to China then I too was able to get the audio out by exporting the footage through the tool.
The problem is exporting that way is vastly slower than copying the files from the microsd. It would be great to avoid using and of these proprietary "tools" (smartpss, chrome plug-in) and just deal with the video that is saved directly.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is your actual use case here? Timelapses or long term archival etc?

Just thinking if you're trying get at the files via the microSD you're having to remove the camera from it's install location to get to the card so would file transfer via SFTP, NAS or SMB work better for you?