Dahua IPC-HDW5831R-ZE

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So, the IPC-HDW5831R-ZE arrived, three days from Hong Kong to Italy, thanks @EMPIRETECANDY !! But, right in these days, I'm installing the other ipcams, so, I've done a fast comparision test with this 8Mp camera and the IPC-HDW5231R-Z, during nighttime. ̶F̶i̶r̶s̶t̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶'̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶'̶.̶.̶.̶.̶ ̶i̶p̶c̶a̶m̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶d̶e̶f̶a̶u̶l̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶s̶,̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶I̶R̶ ̶(̶S̶m̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶I̶R̶)̶.̶.̶.̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶I̶P̶C̶-̶H̶D̶W̶5̶8̶3̶1̶R̶-̶Z̶E̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶l̶o̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶a̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶e̶n̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶m̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶(̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶w̶o̶ ̶I̶R̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶h̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶l̶a̶s̶s̶ ̶?̶)̶ :) Found the root cause, nothing to do with the ipcam ...A small piece of nylon was still close to one of the IR, and was causing the reflection ... my fault, I've tried yesterday evening, on the fly, and now I've seen that ....
8Mp_IR-2.jpg

If I turn off the IR on the 5831, and then turn on the IR on the 5231 (which is close) the image is much better
8Mp_IR_Starlight -2.jpg

For reference, the image below is from the Starlight ip cam
StarlightIR.jpg

Then, some images in color mode, with external lights on, two small wall lamps (led 6W each)

8Mp
8Mp_LowLight.jpg

Starlight
Starlight_Lowlight.jpg

Now, still color mode, with a 100W led flood light, behind and above the ipcameras..

8Mp
8Mp_HighLight.jpg

Starlight
Starlight_HighLight.jpg
Of course, during daytime, the 8Mp is amazing, but even in nighttime, if there is some kind of light, isn't so bad ...
As soon as I've (a bit) more time, i'll post other images with different settings.
Cheers,
jonatha

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the looks of that camera. It would be interesting to see how they compare if a person walks through the frame.

How is the price on that model? I shouldn't look at 4K cameras. They aren't easy on poor Blue Iris.

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This Saturday I should install both where I'm working now, if I have a chance, I'll post some videos ....

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
LENS different and new one can support 500meters poe power supply.
Thanks Andy, I imagine the lens difference is basically a lens with more light (f1.6 the 5830 and f1.4 the 5831) right? This should improve the low light capabilities quite a lot. I am going soon to order these 8mp Dahua cams

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Andy, I imagine the lens difference is basically a lens with more light (f1.6 the 5830 and f1.4 the 5831) right? This should improve the low light capabilities quite a lot. I am going soon to order these 8mp Dahua cams
Just got 2pcs only.... but booked some, seems have to wait 3-4 weeks again, these new models are very hard to get them.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
it seems like the 8Mp is a tiny bit out of focus. It could be the amount of light, but with 100W LED (~10,000 lumens) there should be enough to go around, as it appears to be. Try turning auto off and on and see if it gets better. It might just be the car to the right messing with the focus a bit more in the 8Mp, as there is a tiny bit more of it in that shot. Regardless, the car needs to not be there for a good shot. This is the problem with vari-focal. they are just not tolerant of foreground objects for distance viewing.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

vinson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you. i have one poor night cross street ,i will buy 5831 try it.

Dave88LX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have any lit night videos w/ motion on these? We would all love to see how that video looks! :)

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Waiting for a second 8MP IPC-HDW5831R-ZE from @EMPIRETECANDY (the first one is already installed), as soon as the cam arrives, I'll post some videos.
Cheers,
jonatha

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Same here. Even better would be night-time video footage with peron in motion.