Dahua IPC-HFW4239T-ASE Night Color 24/7 Live Stream

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I decided to try a Dahua Night Color camera to see if it performed as advertised. I connected the camera to a Raspberry Pi to convert the RTSP to RTMP for YouTube Live.

It's been running for almost two weeks now and seems to perform quite well. It is in a rural area with little light pollution although the moon has been out for the last week and there has been snow on the ground for the last few days. The camera is also recording a still image every ten minutes that I will make into a timelapse video and post at a later time.

Peter vB

n3wb
Reaction score
That works great
I have been watching a few times at night.
Do you have it set to b&w at night or does it only look that way because of the snow now?

How did you set up the 1 image every 10 minutes and where do you save those images?

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In the camera setup you have a choice of b&w at night or color. I chose color for day and night.

Also in the camera setup GUI are settings to capture an image at a user selected interval. Then that image can be sent to a FTP server or stored locally on a internal micro
SD card for later retrieval by swapping cards or downloading using the camera GUI.

Peter vB

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I saw the colors during daytime and see why they might look as b&w in the night.
Thanks for explaining. Can't wait to see your 10 min interval timelapse

Peter vB

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, that's a great timelapse TRL, almost 3 weeks !!
Thanks for sharing. Very inspiring.
You can even see the Earth's shadow crawling upwards at minutes ±1:00 and ± 6:20.
What's that small "dot" you see on the horizon in the middle of the screen?

/edit:
Oh by the way... I'm recording my own timelapse right now.
I tried to use the ftp-upload, but can't rename the seperate files from each folder on my Mac.
So now I'm using a cronjob on my webspace where every 5 minutes a file is saved into an online folder and they're named from 1.jpg upto xxx.jpg.
We don't have great weather right now (all day grey cloud cover), but when I see stars and seperate clouds again I will show you the result.

Last edited:

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The flashing light in the center is a radio tower a few miles away. The glow on the horizon to the left of the frame is the city of Omaha about 45miles away.

The Dauha image numbering and filing method is a little cumbersome to work with. I use a bulk image relabeling program that works well.