Dahua IPC-HFW5231EN-Z - what did I just receive?

charlesaf3

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I just received the Dahua IPC-HFW5231EN-Z. I had thought I was ordering the turrets from Empiretecandy, but I goofed (entirely my fault, not his).

Not necessarily a bad thing, I need bullets I think, though reading the turret thread has made me question. But does anyone know what I ended up with?

Google is little help, I'm guessing/hoping these are new starlights? Search here didn't do anything either

gregbert

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You got an NTSC version of the 5231 bullet. I got my first order last week, including a 5231 bullet. It's labeled IPC-HFW5231EP-Z which is the PAL model. Doesn't really matter though.
Oh, and if it says "S2" that doesn't mean much either. Almost all of them have been this version.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW5231E-Z)

Same performance as the turret, but its a bullet so:
  • No onboard Mic
  • External Audio In/Out
  • External Alarm In/Out

They are great for hooking up external Motion Sensors/Contact Switches and/or High Sensitivity Remotely located Mic's.. can also be hooked up to strobes/sirens

charlesaf3

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW5231E-Z)

Same performance as the turret, but its a bullet so:
  • No onboard Mic
  • External Audio In/Out
  • External Alarm In/Out

They are great for hooking up external Motion Sensors/Contact Switches and/or High Sensitivity Remotely located Mic's.. can also be hooked up to strobes/sirens
Thanks. This is actually fine for me. I appreciate all your excellent work here btw.

Any advantages to the bullet over the turret in terms of video? Does the size help with lenses or anything? I won't use the external, probably, so should I just automatically buy the turret one in the future? I guess I'm asking why bullet exists...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The bullet exists for choice, there's a whole range of form factors for these Starlight Cameras: Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

I'm using them for the audio and alarm IO, which you wont get on a Turret.

charlesaf3

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm probably missing something, but if the turret provides equal video, isn't the bullet almost useless for most of us? I feel as if I have to be missing something

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
how would two things that are equal, one being great.. make the other useless?

I'm not following your logic.. for one the Turrets are unobtanium right now and the Bullets are available, thats better..

lets put this in a car Analogy; So every car your manufacturer made that is not the exact color of your car, is useless?

charlesaf3

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
how would two things that are equal, one being great.. make the other useless?

I'm not following your logic..
Well, I'm assuming (for this) they are the same in all respects except audio/alarm IO. If that's the case, the turret would seem to have a hugely better form factor, since these bullets are huge - more like box cameras.

Thing is, I'm not at all sure about my assumptions, most likely case is there is something I don't understand which I probably should understand. One thing might be focal length? Guessing.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this specific camera is 100% identical, same optics, same sensor, same firmware, same circuitry, however they also make a Z5 Variant that goes up to 35mm.. thats not coming on a turret.

many people find the audio/alarm IO quite desirable; and the turrets also have a larger footprint which makes them difficult to mount to like a post/pole for example.

most people prefer the looks of the turret, but this is a subjective measurement..

charlesaf3

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you. Just read your post on them which I found in your profile, oddly hadn't found it on search bar.

It seems also better IR? But reading your other stuff I plan on switching to IR cannons like you did. Also I'm in the city of Richmond so I have a lot of ambient light.

I guess I far prefer the look of the turret myself. I can use these in a couple of places, and it might even be good because they say CAMERA in boldface. But given what you say I will order the turret from now on.

Soepkip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I purchased ons of these instead of the turret because:
- they were actually available
- I think a wall mounted turret looks kinda weird.

I probably don't need the alarm or audio either so it would not really matter which version I would have. I think the extra IR could be nice but I am not sure it actually makes a difference where I use it.