Dahua IPC-K42A 4mp Indoor Cube Cams Losing Connection

DohDehDuhm

n3wb
Reaction score
I’ve got several k42a’s I picked up from @EMPIRETECANDY and two of them have been working flawlessly for weeks.

I set up another two this past week and both have continuously fired WATCHDOG BI notifications 1-3 times an hour. It appears they are rebooting (light turns red like it does during start up).

They are running different firmware versions so it’s not that. I have Unmounted and plugged into my switch using different Ethernet cables that work with other cameras so I know it’s not the physical connection. I also tried a different switch so know it’s not that either. The camera’s settings match the other two working ones (Dahua settings and BI settings) so that shouldn’t be an issue. They are both powered by my POE switch.

Interestingly enough these two are both mounted 90 degrees sideways for a vertical picture. The two working ones are mounted vertically for the normal landscape view. This is the only difference in the firmware settings between these and the working ones. I’m going to set them to 0 degree rotation and see if that fixes anything (not sure why that would matter) but I wanted to post here and see if anyone else had this issue in the meantime.

Thanks!

DohDehDuhm

n3wb
Reaction score
Setting the Dahua Firmware rotation setting back to 0 degrees fixed the issue. These cameras drop keep rebooting for some reason when you set the rotation to 90 degrees. Very odd.

MyDaHua

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also found on my EZ cameras that if I use image rotate to 90 degree I lose some other options and I have available low fps / bit rate than normal but no restart problem.

Tommyt79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My 2 new Dahua cameras both do NOT like H265 encoding. Both will drop connection multiple times a day (just for a few seconds.) Change back to H.264 and the problem goes away.

edirol

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone know what settings need to be tweaked to get a stable 90 degree rotation? There was another post that said you may need to drop resolution down to 1080p when using 90 rotation. Anyone found a way to do it but still get a decent picture?