Dahua Lens Replacement

Russell_S

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have a newly purchased Dahua IPC-HDW2431TP-AS-S2 camera and wanted to know if it is possible to change the lens from a 3.6mm to a 2.8mm.

Basically, I am testing this Dahua camera to replace a Hikvision IPC-T120-D 2.8mm camera. The image quality on the Dahua is much better but unfortunately because it has the 3.6mm lens I'm not getting enough coverage. With the Hikvision camera I could cover the entire drive and also the front edge of the house including the front door step. With the Dahua camera the image is not wide enough to cover the front of the house as you can see in the attached picture showing both camera images.

Thanks

Combined.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I don’t know how to change the lens though it’s been done and hopefully a member who’s done it will stop by.

But consider adding a camera. One of the most common mistakes is trying to cover too much area with a single camera. Wider view = less detail. Knowing someone broke into your vehicle for instance is good to know, being able to get positive facial ID of a stranger is better.

Even the 3.6mm is going to lose too much detail to get positive ID at say 30ft+

Samples of a 3.6mm at 12ft-18ft
vlcsnap-2020-10-17-19h25m39s134.jpg vlcsnap-2020-10-17-19h31m06s363.jpg vlcsnap-2020-10-17-19h24m10s717.jpg

And at 20-25
4116P_Drive West_main_20201203165415_@12.jpg ch06_20210419_165334_E.jpg

Last edited:

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
mount type is m12

remove the locking screw..
it's just a matter of unscrew and rescrew the new lens in .. sometimes might need to scrap off abit of glue on the thead

nothing too difficult ?

Russell_S

n3wb
Reaction score
But consider adding a camera. One of the most common mistakes is trying to cover too much area with a single camera. Wider view = less detail. Knowing someone broke into your vehicle for instance is good to know, being able to get positive facial ID of a stranger is better.

Even the 3.6mm is going to lose too much detail to get positive ID at say 30ft+
Thanks for that, I admit it wasn't something that I had considered.

My plan was always to have another camera in the front porch looking straight from the front door towards the driveway entrance which could have a much narrower FOV so a 4mm or 6mm lens would probably suffice. This would then be much better for identification and the original camera in the corner would just be for a general overview of the entire front driveway.

mount type is m12

it's just a matter of unscrew and rescrew the new lens in .. sometimes might need to scrap off abit of glue on the thead

nothing too difficult ?
feasible.
M12 2.8mm F1.0~F1.6
Thanks everyone, that is really helpful. I didn't realise it is a standard lens fitting, I just assumed it would be a proprietry Dahua lens.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
mount type is m12

nothing too difficult ?
can you let me know where the locking screw is? im trying to this on my boobie cam, and thought it would be as easy as taking the lens cover off, and unscrewing the lens from the top?

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
re: locking screw : some of them have one some of them don't have.. if u can't see the locking screw then just use a sharp item to scrape the glue off the mount and unscrew the lens off.

if the lens is further enclosed in a futher black enclosure then .. you may need to remove the cover to access the lens.

1622068694528.png

Last edited:

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
re: locking screw : some of them have one some of them don't have.. if u can't see the locking screw then just use a sharp item to scrape the glue off the mount and unscrew the lens off.

if the lens is further enclosed in a futher black enclosure then .. you may need to remove the cover to access the lens.
this is the camera,, no locking screw.

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 3.38.35 PM.png

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
nope. the lens is glued in. u need to remove the glue else it will not come out.
so 3 screws, to lift up the cameras to expose wire, then i should unhook all the cables (not to much slack?

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
it's up to u.. i didnt touch the ribbon cables.

the eyeball rotating mechanism is held by some clips just gently use some force to undo one clip and wriggle it out .

however if you don't feel comfortable then don't do it in case the clips break..

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score

the eyeball rotating mechanism is held by some clips just gently use some force to undo one clip and wriggle it out .

however if you don't feel comfortable then don't do it in case the clips break..

im 90 percent there.

thanks for your help!!

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score

only got to 90 percent and gave up... I didnt want to damage my camera. no matter what i did, i couldnt get the glue off the stock lens. I watched this..
-- and his glue came off like butter. mine was like hard poly plastic. tried everything.

very sad.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
so near.. yet so far..

use a sharp object like a pen knife. use a sturdy one.. not those flimsy kind.

need to use some force to scrape off the glue material.. it is clear in colour so it appear black and you can find it on on two sides