Dahua minidome catches guy casing house

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did you report it to the police? And if so, what was their response?

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
wow, that's pretty bold!
Yeah you can see the guy on 3 of my other cameras as he approached and left. He was walking purposely down the center of the street. He passes the house and slows down, looks around and then circles back past the driveway. Finally he approaches the house and does the search. Even after seeing the camera he was slow going down the driveway as he was looking for a key in the landscape rock there.

I suspect he stopped at my house because I'm the only one who parks the car in the garage. So probably thought nobody was home.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did you report it to the police? And if so, what was their response?
Yes I did. I told them I had very clear footage of the event and the guy's face. Despite this they took the info and said they'd tell the night patrol that goes through my area.

That's the understaffed San Jose PD for you.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Someone on NextDoor a few streets over caught the same behavior on their street too.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe you could print off a few pictures of the guys face and hand it to any cops you see driving in your area? Sounds like there's not much they can/will to, but at best maybe they can hassle the guy if they see and recognize him.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tygunn, the part of the post that got my attention was that yours is the only house on the street that doesn't have a vehicle(s) in the driveway! You safely tuck your vehicles into the closed/locked garage and leave nothing for the zombie door checkers! Does that mean you make room for your vehicles by de-cluttering your garage? Ha!

I never imagined the downside to having an empty driveway... the bad guys think there's nobody home!!

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you post a picture of the camera location?

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Or put some placebo painkillers under the carpet and some Monopoly money - jackpot for any door checker zombie.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Tygunn Are you still happy with the Mini-Dome?
Yes very much so. The image quality is great especially since it's just the porch light.

I played around with the shutter and gamma curve and got even more out of it. So if the guy returns I'll have even better shots.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tygunn, the part of the post that got my attention was that yours is the only house on the street that doesn't have a vehicle(s) in the driveway! You safely tuck your vehicles into the closed/locked garage and leave nothing for the zombie door checkers! Does that mean you make room for your vehicles by de-cluttering your garage? Ha!

I never imagined the downside to having an empty driveway... the bad guys think there's nobody home!!
Haha yeah my wife and I discussed it but figure knowing our luck someone would break into our car and steal the dash cam or something silly. We're going to keep the cars in the garage.

We only moved in a year ago from an appt so haven't had the chance to clutter the cars out yet. Hahaha.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You should screw with him and put a random key under the doormat...
I am tempted to put a sign under the mat that says, "nice try". But I've got so many dead keys that would be a nice trick too.

Frankydp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Key! Then get the "attempted" burglary on video. Of Course don't mention you supplied the key.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Key! Then get the "attempted" burglary on video. Of Course don't mention you supplied the key.
My only apprehension about putting the key under the mat would be that they find the key doesn't work so just smash the window anyways; seems I've have caused an escalation that I really don't want.