Dahua mounting questions

Dunce Mode

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been reading here for a few weeks, have gone through the wiki and cliffs notes, but still have some questions.
  1. My house is prewired with cat6 at various locations around the perimeter. At each location, there is a single gang box with the cabling stuffed inside. Can I mount a turret directly to the box? What mount would I need? What mount should I get if I purchase bullets? They are exposed, so moisture would be a concern.
  2. I like the way bullets look, but would I really be better served with all turrets/eyeballs? How big a deal are spiderwebs, really?
  3. My front door has the single gang box about 9 feet off the ground. Being that it's so high, can I put a camera there and actually get decent images of people that come to the door? What would you guys recommend doing in this case?
I am attaching a couple pics for context so you can see the boxes and relative height. Thanks for any help!
IMG_20190823_211217.jpg IMG_20190823_211023.jpg

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I would definitely take advantage of the cable run and put a cam there. I don't believe you will be able to mount a cam directly on that box because the screw holes will not line up. If mounting Dahua cams, there are various mount boxes that you may be able to mount over that box or in close proximity. I've used both of these boxes and they work well and help keep things water tight. In a pinch, I've also used the weather proof electric boxes you can find at Home Depot really cheap.

outdoor-box.jpg

dahuapf137.jpg PFA121.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice - I didn't know about that adapter. Thanks Tony!
You're welcome!

It's a recent addition that solves some issues, alright. I'm a big fan of boxes for the pigtail and any time you can use what the contractor put up that is BEHIND the wall you're likely ahead because it won't make the cam stick out any further.

BTW, @MakeItRain used one here and caulked around the adapter which is a great idea as well to further protect the pigtail.

Dunce Mode

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, all. So is it true that I can mount a turret directly to that adapter plate? This means the cam will be facing perpendicular to the ground. Can I still orient it properly with this config, or should I use the gang adapter in combination with the below?

EmpireTech PFB203W Water-Proof Wall Mount Bracket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DVX7XXR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cgwyDb34FCR6Q

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Dunce Mode

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Looney, forgive me, but my username is quite apt and I'm having a dunce moment. Do you mean 'yes' that I can directly mount to the adapter, or 'yes' that I need to use the adapter AND the waterproof mount bracket that changes the orientation of the cam?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Looney, forgive me, but my username is quite apt and I'm having a dunce moment. Do you mean 'yes' that I can directly mount to the adapter, or 'yes' that I need to use the adapter AND the waterproof mount bracket that changes the orientation of the cam?
Yes, it will mount fine with the adapter, and cam has enough adjust-ability you should be able to get the view you need without the wall mount bracket.

Shotglasspeppa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, it will mount fine with the adapter, and cam has enough adjust-ability you should be able to get the view you need without the wall mount bracket.
Do you know if I can mount this adapter, then mount a junction box such as a pfa130 or 137 to it then mount a camera to the junction box?

Shotglasspeppa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes it would work, buy why the need for the additional junction box?
The jb housing the cat 6 is recessed in the soffit. I'd attach this adapter to it then another pfa130 or whatever to that then mount the camera. This would allow me to mount the camera a couple of inches lower than if directly attached to the soffit.