Dahua new 8mp eye ball

MikeMac

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone have a comparison between the newer N85CM5Z and the HDW5831R-ZE? it looks to be about double the price. I am looking to build about a 6 piece camera system for the home and was curious what is the big difference? I can not find any reviews or anyones comments on the N85CM5Z.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a comparison between the newer N85CM5Z and the HDW5831R-ZE? it looks to be about double the price. I am looking to build about a 6 piece camera system for the home and was curious what is the big difference? I can not find any reviews or anyones comments on the N85CM5Z.
one is international the other us US region.
Same camera.
Both will not perform well in low light/night conditions.

MikeMac

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there an 8mp camera that performs well at night? Would you suggest different cameras? Is the Hikvision DS-2CD2H85FWD-IZS a better camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there an 8mp camera that performs well at night? Would you suggest different cameras? Is the Hikvision DS-2CD2H85FWD-IZS a better camera?
Look for a camera that has a 1/2" sensor or larger (1/1.8). Hikvision and dahua both make these models (none in turret form) and there are lots of threads on them.
If you want exceptional low light performance look at the 2mp dahua starlights varifocal turret.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can not find any reviews or anyones comments on the N85CM5Z
With Andy (@EMPIRETECHANDY) selling the same hardware for significantly less <under his own brand>, not many folks find value in paying 2x more to get the same hardware being sold under the Dahua US brand... that's probably the biggest reason why there isn't much talk about Dahua US model numbers (like N85CM5Z) on the forum here.

MikeMac

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the help. If you were starting over and buying everything new today. What cameras would you buy for a 6-7 cameras around the outside of the house as well as AVR? I don't have an extra computer so I was thinking about a POE AVR system. I would mostly use the system in the unfortunate event of any theft I would like to identify the person/persons so that was my desire for 8mp cameras. I would like to get text alerts and be able to quickly view the cameras remotely. Out of ignorance I purchased the new 4k Arlo ultra cameras and very quickly found all the flaws with those and quickly returned them. I am open to installing external motion activated lights if that is helpful for night. I live in a rural area so there should not be very many people except deliveries to the front porch. Many animals though (turkeys, deer, squirrels, etc.) so it would be nice to be able to differentiate between people and animals if possible on alerts. I was thinking of also backing up to the cloud as an extra safety. For the front door porch area it would be nice to have a microphone and speaker to interact with visitors. thank you for your help and expertise it is very much appreciated.

Reaction score
Thank you for the help. If you were starting over and buying everything new today. What cameras would you buy for a 6-7 cameras around the outside of the house as well as AVR? I don't have an extra computer so I was thinking about a POE AVR system. I would mostly use the system in the unfortunate event of any theft I would like to identify the person/persons so that was my desire for 8mp cameras. I would like to get text alerts and be able to quickly view the cameras remotely. Out of ignorance I purchased the new 4k Arlo ultra cameras and very quickly found all the flaws with those and quickly returned them. I am open to installing external motion activated lights if that is helpful for night. I live in a rural area so there should not be very many people except deliveries to the front porch. Many animals though (turkeys, deer, squirrels, etc.) so it would be nice to be able to differentiate between people and animals if possible on alerts. I was thinking of also backing up to the cloud as an extra safety. For the front door porch area it would be nice to have a microphone and speaker to interact with visitors. thank you for your help and expertise it is very much appreciated.
In our general experience here over the last two years (and I guarantee you someone will correct me if I'm wrong) higher megapixels are NOT indicative of higher quality or more picture detail. If anything, they introduce more noise during video processing. The best image quality we've seen has been from the Dahua Starlight 4231 fixed-focus and 5231 varifocal and now the newer 2231 varifocal turret cameras. These are all 2 megapixel cameras with the Sony Starvis CMOS sensor. Starlight is Dahua's term for this configuration of sensor and lens in their cameras, and it's quite accurate. The image quality and detail from these Dahua Starlight cameras are nothing short of incredible. Hikvision has some cameras (and IPCT sells a few rebranded here) that approach this level of image quality, but Dahua seems to be a clear favorite, at least in my experience. FWIW, I have Hikvision cube cameras throughout the inside of the house, and Dahua turrets outside.