Dahua nvr alarm inputs

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am trying to find the correct modell nvr for my next setup.

i did find the following information:

NVR4216
<20 watt
4 channel alarm input
200 mbps record rate

NVR4416
<20 watt
16 channel alarm input
200 mbps record rate

DH-NVR4216-4K
8.7 watt
8 channel alarm input
192 mbps record rate

DH-NVR4216-4KS2
<17 watt
16 channel alarm input ?
192 mbps record rate

NVR5216-4KS2
<9.5 watt
4 channel alarm input
320 mbps record rate

NVR5416-4KS2
<16.7 watt
16 channel alarm input
320 mbps record rate

I intend to run 7 cameras.
6 times a mini ptz 2MP (SD22204T-GN) with max bitrate of 8192 kbps
1 time a larger ptz with 3 or 4MP most likely. Als max bitrate of 8192 kbps
Basically most cameras seems to have max bitrate of 8192 kbps in H.264

so even if i wanted max bitrate, i need only need 60 mbps
16 port modell seems best if i start with 7 cameras already. So assume i add full 16 cameras at 8192 kbps is only 131 mbps. All modells will do on that requirement.

second requirement would be the alarm inputs. If an dedicated sensor is more reliable than the built in motion detection/ivs i would require more than 4 inputs. So all modells with 4 input channels would be not valid for me.

so last requirement would be lowest power use.

here the issues start, the information is a bit hard to find (or i searched not good enough)
dahua sites seem not to have the 42xx 4KS and 42xx 4KS2 modells, so the specification come partly from aliexpress sellers (and i find that questionable source of information sometimes)

can someone confirm me that:

4216-4K has 8 alarm inputs?
4216-4KS2 has 16 alarm inputs

a 5416-4KS2 would be ok with specifications but is more expensive, and if have 8 or 16 alarm inputs with 4216-4K or 4216-4KS2 that would do i assume.

Main functional difference between 4xxx and 5xxx seems fisheye dewarping.

on the dahua wiki i found this: https://dahuawiki.com/NVR/Alarm_Panel
that seems to be the 16 alarm input..

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
4216-4k has 8 alarm inputs; no reason to doubt the spec sheets..

bryansj

n3wb
Reaction score
Most if not all the models you listed do not have 12vdc output from the NVR. I just hooked up a PIR to my 4208-4K over the weekend. I tapped into my security system panel to piggyback its 12vdc output and then ran the signal cables to my NVR. You could also simply add a transformer.

It works great so far. No false alarms and my alerts are all showing people, cars, or cats. No shadows, lights, moths, or spiders.

nats

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It works great so far. No false alarms and my alerts are all showing people, cars, or cats. No shadows, lights, moths, or spiders.
How many cars, cats false alarms do you get per day?

bryansj

n3wb
Reaction score
How many cars, cats false alarms do you get per day?
I don't get any false alarms now. Without the PIR all the alerts were trash. You either dial up the settings for software motion detection and miss most everything or you dial it down and get moths and tree limb shadows 24/7. Without the PIR I would just ignore all the alerts.

The cars and cats are in our driveway and set off the PIR as expected. I could try to exclude the cats by changing the sensitivity, but I'm thinking they are feral stray cats and might need dealt with. Having the alerts showing them at 2am sort of proves they are stray or the owners don't care for them.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was thinking of buying some poe to dc12 volt comverters so i can wire everything back to my poe inserters.(like €5 via aliexpress)
Than i can use ethernet wires everywhere.

i found some afordable bosch pir sensors on ebay(blue line gen 2) Not the combined pir and radar units (like 100€ local here) but slightly older ones.
These are line $10 in the usa on ebay, but shipping and import duty will make it almost as expensive as local, like 15€ from UK

it would need another 2 line cable for the alarm of the sensor next to the ethernet though.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they have 12v to PoE splitters you could use.. you'll get the full 100m distance out of ethernet using 48v PoE.. if you try to send 12vdc down 24awg the voltage drop will soon be far too much to run anything.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes 48 volt over ethernet, poe to 12 volt converter at far end and than into sensor.
On the other hand i would need a sort of mounting box in the wall to place this converter in. So a thicker 4 core wire could be better option, one for 12 volts, other for alarm. This would be simpler at the sensor to have only a piece of tube coming out of the wall for the wire

bryansj

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This link has all the specifications there, no more complex searching
http://www.dahuasecurity.com/download_detail_2321.html

Reading that one, all the 42xx and 44xx models seem to have a maximal number (8) of 1080p streams they can decode
Does not matter if it is 8, 16 or 32 channel modell.

If you take a 52xx or 54xx modell they can decode 16 channels of 1080p..

Is that some thing one would need to have if ever growing above 8 camera's ?

Has this to do with actual recording possibilitys ?
Or is that simply the display of channels at the same time on the monitor output ?

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't get any false alarms now. Without the PIR all the alerts were trash. You either dial up the settings for software motion detection and miss most everything or you dial it down and get moths and tree limb shadows 24/7. Without the PIR I would just ignore all the alerts.

The cars and cats are in our driveway and set off the PIR as expected. I could try to exclude the cats by changing the sensitivity, but I'm thinking they are feral stray cats and might need dealt with. Having the alerts showing them at 2am sort of proves they are stray or the owners don't care for them.
Please tell me more about this.... you have a certain PIr sensor that is connected to the alarm input of your NVR and this is used instead of the cameras ir sensor because it works better? Please explain in detail—thanks!