Dahua NVR + Amcrest Cameras

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys, any chance Amcrest cameras will work with Dahua NVRs? Does anyone have this kind of setup?

Thanks in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Guys, any chance Amcrest cameras will work with Dahua NVRs? Does anyone have this kind of setup?

Thanks in advance.
It should as they are both dahua...you are better off buying dahua cams in turret style.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LOL, fenderman. I just responded to you in the other thread. Anyways, I'll try my luck even though there is a chance that motion-detect recording might not work. I'm saying this because I've been warned by a Dahua US tech that even though the cams are oem'd by them, it's still not a guarantee.

Wish me luck.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you dont get one w/built in PoE and provide your own you can always connect to the camera and configure Motion Detection directly..

9 times out of 10 ONVIF Event subscriptions work fine, meaning it will pickup motion events.. this part is easy and widely supported.

However, 9 times out of 10 a NVR will NOT configure Motion Detection via Onvif alone.. unless its a matching vendor most choose more advanced configurations than onvif permits.

10 times out of 10 onboard motion detection is noisy and hardly that great.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would go for the Dahua 4-ch PoE which is just enough for my needs and have no plans for any expansion.

I have the Amcrest PT (IP2M-841E) and the turret (IP2M-844E) and hope Fenderman is right that these boys would cooperate with the Dahua NVR as far as MD-recording is concerned. If not, I'm going to have to replace them with Dahuas.

Thanks for chiming in fellas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys,

Did some researching and according to the ONVIF Device Manager, the two Amcrest cams (one identified as "General" don't know why) have ONVIF version 2.40 on them. Click screenshots below to enlarge:

Screenshot (15).pngScreenshot (16).png

The Dahua NVR that I'm planning to get to replace the Amcrest NV1104E is listed as ONVIF 2.4 interoperability. Click screenshot below to enlarge:

Screenshot (17).png

Does that mean both Amcrest cameras and the Dahua are 100% compatible as far as MD-recording thru NVR is concerned?

Your inputs will be much appreciated.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Does that mean both Amcrest cameras and the Dahua are 100% compatible as far as MD-recording thru NVR is concerned?
Not necessarily - you need to check if any ONVIF event notifications such as motion events are generated.
These if any can be seen on the ODM 'Events' page.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
from what Ive seen the AmCrest firmware is identical to Dahua firmware with merely branding tweaks to the HTML files.. functionally I suspect they will work as if they were regular Dahuas.

the test is, try to connect w/Dahua's version of SmartPSS to the cameras directly, if it loads them up.. then its a dahua speaking dahua and will work with other dahuas just fine.

some of the Lorex Dahua rebrands I've encountered are running completely custom software, they might be made by dahua but thats it.. they dont work with SmartPSS and the UI is completely different.

Reactions: Tic

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
alastair,

I did click on the 'Events' link and it generated motion events on the 'Events' page from the turret cam (which was set to 'Enable' including 'Period', 'Region', etc.) with a bunch of false, false, true, true, false, false and so on and so forth. Is this a good sign?

Nayr,

I downloaded and installed this:
SmartPSS_En_IS_V1.14.2.R.20160818

From its initial looks, it closely resembles that of the Amcrest Surveillance Pro which I have used before. Aesthetics aside, I am starting to believe...in fact, I have a gut feeling both software are basically the same.

I will get back to you two as soon as I am finished with the setup and test.

Thank you so much for the quick responses.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I did click on the 'Events' link and it generated motion events on the 'Events' page from the turret cam (which was set to 'Enable' including 'Period', 'Region', etc.) with a bunch of false, false, true, true, false, false and so on and so forth. Is this a good sign?
Yes, provided they are from a motion rule engine, it suggests that motion detection via ONVIF will work.
There would be nothing at all if ONVIF event notifications were not supported.

Reactions: Tic

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok good...SmartPSS found both Amcrest cameras.

I was able to get live view and the following:

Screenshot (26).pngScreenshot (24).pngScreenshot (23).pngScreenshot (22).png

However, 'Alarm' didn't work with the turret only since this cam didn't have any alarm features. Both cameras "Failed to get remote setup information" from the 'Remote Device' menu. I don't know what this means...maybe you guys can shed light on this.

Also, there is a noticeable lag on the turret cam. When I click on a menu item, it takes an average of 7-10 seconds for the menu window to populate. This never happened on the PT cam. Well, there's a little bit of lag which I think is normal but not as worse as the turret.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, provided they are from a motion rule engine, it suggests that motion detection via ONVIF will work.
There would be nothing at all if ONVIF event notifications were not supported.
Here is a screenshot of the motion events:

Screenshot (28).png

Motion Detection just sucks when there is no ample lighting. Also, before I took this screenshot, it generated a 'Tamper Event'...must've been me getting too close to the cam + the low lighting and waving my arms near it could've set it off, right?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep - that's the 'IsMotion rule state changes showing in the Events list.
it generated a 'Tamper Event'...must've been me getting too close to the cam
Yes, if you had your hoodie on.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, if you had your hoodie on.
LOL -- not a big fan of hoodies.

Now that both Amcrest cameras and Dahua software have passed the 'Nayr Compatibility Test', does this mean these cams will have no problem communicating with any Dahua recorder as far as motion detection recording thru NVR is concerned?

On a side note, this is the Dahua NVR I'm planning to get:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1264331-REG/dahua_technology_dhi_nvr42a04_p_4_channel_nvr_2sata.html

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
alastair & nayr:

Big thanks to you guys for all the advise/guidance. I will get back to this thread and report about my findings after I get the NVR.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys, when the specs say the NVR is "Up to 5MP in Preview, Playback and Recording", does that mean it will accept only 5MP max IPCs? If so, anything higher than that is totally useless/overkill?

One more thing...this is a newbie-ish/stupid question...under "Recording Resolution" it says 5MP/4MP/3MP/1080p/1.3MP/720p etc...even though 2MP is not specifically mentioned, does that exclude it?

Thanks.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes 5MP will be its max resolution, the more pixels the better.. however, at this point in time very few cameras over 5MP have any decent low light capabilities.. If you do get a higher MP camera, they will work if you configure the camera to provide a feed that's 5MP or less, in a format that its compatible with.. currently they go all the way up to 12MP, but they cost a fortune for anything that performs well, and that's unlikely to change for the next several years..

1080p == 2MP, they are interchangeable.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1080p == 2MP, they are interchangeable.
-- "You learn something new everyday."

Thanks for the tips.

Budget wise, I think I could go as high as the Dahua 6MP Fisheye dome w/ "tripwire" and, just like you said, dial the feed down to 5MP...or I could settle with either of the 5/4MP version of it if tripwire doesn't prove to be that effective.

Right now I'm still waiting for B&H to open from its usual holiday hiatus and that won't happen until tomorrow. Strangely enough, I just realized that this NVR takes two power bricks to run -- one for the PoE ports and the other for the mains. It could've been a deal breaker if I didn't have that spare battery back-up outlet for it.

Reaction score
So as someone who is starting in on Home CAMs/Systems -- did the Amcrest/Dahua work together? I bought a CAM from Amazon (Amcrest) and then figured out its really Duhua and so am going to go with Duha for everything else. Just wondering if I should return the Amcrest to Amazon or not ... Going to order the 8 port NVR (Lite Series) POE. I have the 3M Dome from Amcrest.