Dahua NVR, any problems connecting cameras from a switch

louyo

n3wb
Reaction score
Not clear to me in users guide (5216) if there is any concern with connecting several non-Dahua cameras that are connected to a switch and then connecting the switch (uplink port) to a single port on the NVR. Remote switch provides POE.
Yes, we are also using BI on a different set of cameras.
Thank you,
Lou

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Not clear to me in users guide (5216) if there is any concern with connecting several non-Dahua cameras that are connected to a switch and then connecting the switch (uplink port) to a single port on the NVR. Remote switch provides POE.
Yes, we are also using BI on a different set of cameras.
Thank you,
Lou
As always, you have different options :)

Case 1:
- connect IPC to POE external switch
- put IPC in DHCP mode
- uplink one of the PoE ports of NVR5216 to the POE external switch
--> your cams receive a 10.x address from the NVR
- once you have hooked a cam to a "channel", the NVR will "port forward" that channel to the outer world (eg through your LAN) --> you can then contact each cam individually on http://ip-of-your-nvr:10081)

Case 2:
- configure IPC to work in your "normal" LAN (eg 192.168.15.99)
- configure NVR to work in your "normal" LAN (eg 192.168.15.100)
- let NVR search for your device (eg on IP 192.168.15.99)
- add IPC to a channel

Ready!

Easy peasy :)

But keep in mind that bandwidth wise, connecting tons of cams through the uplink port might "congest" displaying streams through that same port.

Hope this helps,
CC

louyo

n3wb
Reaction score

But keep in mind that bandwidth wise, connecting tons of cams through the uplink port might "congest" displaying streams through that same port.

Hope this helps,
CC
Thanks. Max # cameras to switch is 5 and uplink is 1GB but not sure if NVR will handle that. We shall look in specs again. If we need to run more HR's, we will do so.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. Max # cameras to switch is 5 and uplink is 1GB but not sure if NVR will handle that. We shall look in specs again. If we need to run more HR's, we will do so.
I double checked (source: NVR5216/5232-16P-4KS2) - the "LAN" ethernet adapter is gigabit on the NVR.

If security is a main requirement, I personally would install the cams behind the NVR. But in any case, make sure the LAN is "protected" from the internet (eg. no port forwarding to NVR/IPC or even BI). But I guess you already discovered VPN Primer for Noobs

Hope this helps!
CC

louyo

n3wb
Reaction score
I double checked (source: NVR5216/5232-16P-4KS2) - the "LAN" ethernet adapter is gigabit on the NVR.

If security is a main requirement, I personally would install the cams behind the NVR. But in any case, make sure the LAN is "protected" from the internet (eg. no port forwarding to NVR/IPC or even BI). But I guess you already discovered VPN Primer for Noobs

Hope this helps!
CC
Thanks. We are on a separate (static) public IP address, with VPN capable firewall/router (Sonicwall).

Reaction score

Case 1:
- put IPC in DHCP mode
- uplink one of the PoE ports of NVR5216 to the POE external switch
--> your cams receive a 10.x address from the NVR
- once you have hooked a cam to a "channel", the NVR will "port forward" that channel to the outer world (eg through your LAN) --> you can then contact each cam individually on http://ip-of-your-nvr:10081)

Case 2:
- configure IPC to work in your "normal" LAN (eg 192.168.15.99)
- configure NVR to work in your "normal" LAN (eg 192.168.15.100)
- let NVR search for your device (eg on IP 192.168.15.99)
- add IPC to a channel

Ready!

Hope this helps,
CC

Hello! I’m new to this forum, so I apologize for being a bit lost. I recently installed a PoE 6 camera system. I made my own lines/ends and checked them for continuity and the my all tested good. However, when I powered up the NVR, I had no camera image at first, then I had an image, then no connection, then no bitrate.

This is my first PoE system. I have the NVR connected to the router which is a brand new NetGear Blackhawk. Am I missing something? The instructions say nothing about a switch, just to plug the NVR into the router, but something is wrong obviously. At one point, I had the same image coming through 2 channels simultaneously! Help

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello! I’m new to this forum, so I apologize for being a bit lost. I recently installed a PoE 6 camera system. I made my own lines/ends and checked them for continuity and the my all tested good. However, when I powered up the NVR, I had no camera image at first, then I had an image, then no connection, then no bitrate.

This is my first PoE system. I have the NVR connected to the router which is a brand new NetGear Blackhawk. Am I missing something? The instructions say nothing about a switch, just to plug the NVR into the router, but something is wrong obviously. At one point, I had the same image coming through 2 channels simultaneously! Help
Did you use the 568B standard for the plugs? You cannot simply arbitrarily match them. If your NVR has poe ports you dont need a switch.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
start by plugging only one camera into the NVR, configure it. The the next camera one at a time.

If you can not configure the first camera use a short ( 3 ft) premade cable to the first camera, desk check it the cable and camera.

Note cat6 and cat5e cables are not easy to make correctly. Did you use copper wire. Not CCA copper clad aluminum