Dahua NVR motion triggering simultaneous recording on all channels

Reaction score
I have two Dahua IP cameras recording to a Dahua NVR (software running on a Windows box). When motion is detected on one channel, all channels record a motion event for the exact same time window.

There is absolutely no overlap in coverage between the two cameras so it's not like they're picking up the same motion.

I've checked every setting I can think of in the NVR but nothing is standing out.

Anyone experienced this or have any thoughts? This has been bugging me for a while.

Thanks,
Justin

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
On the event setup page in the NVR, look at the "record channel" setting for the channel that actually has the motion. Make sure it's set to record only that one channel.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Justin,
Check what gets recorded. MD on cam 1 can trigger recording on cam 2, and vice versa
Fastb
md.jpg

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have been noticing this also. On the timeline I see all the cameras recording pretty much the same time. Not all the time, but often. The channel is set correct, not what FastB is thinking. He's not saying the same camera is showing up in each channel.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I should have clarified that I'm using PC-NVR. As far as I can tell, I don't have the same options as the real NVR. For one, there's no web interface for the NVR itself. And from SmartPSS, I can pretty much configure the devices individually, but not exactly through the PC-NVR. There are a few options for the PC-NVR tab but not much.

Reaction score
There have been two more replies to this thread but strangely they're not showing up (got email alerts).

I'll address one of them though. I'm using Smart PSS and the included PC-NVR, from Dahua's site.

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm really glad I saw this thread. After adding a new camera to my NVR5232-4KS2, I was getting the same problem. Thank you, Fastb, for the screen shot showing where the problem might be. Sure enough, I had clicked ALL on one channel and thus it was recording to all channels. It's been windy here, and moving shadows, light changes, etc. had me thinking maybe just coincidences, with just enough variation in recording time and event lengths on other channels to really confuse me. This feature to record all, or certain channels based on an event from one camera could really be handy in some situations, so I see the need for it.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i use it in several instances, alot of my external sensors are in the view of more than one camera, espically my PTZ's.

Reaction score
Yeah this makes sense but for me, unfortunately I don't have a web view for PC-NVR. I can configure similar options through iDMSS though so I'm playing with that. But I now I get no recording at all. I may do a complete reinstall of Smart PSS and PC-NVR.

Does anyone have experience with PC-NVR in particular?

I'm really glad I saw this thread. After adding a new camera to my NVR5232-SK2, I was getting the same problem. Thank you, Fastb, for the screen shot showing where the problem might be. Sure enough, I had clicked ALL on one channel and thus it was recording to all channels. It's been windy here, and moving shadows, light changes, etc. had me thinking maybe just coincidences, with just enough variation in recording time and event lengths on other channels to really confuse me. This feature to record all, or certain channels based on an event from one camera could really be handy in some situations, so I see the need for it.

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, I guess I messed something up...thought I had my video detect record channel situation all fixed up but now channel 6 can't get configuration, and has quit recording, so I can't check record channel in nvr for that camera? Channel 6 camera shows in nvr live view, camera settings set to record, but that may just be settings for camera to record to on-board storage? All other cams performing as expected. This is a HDBW4431R-ZS, and had been performing just fine for over a week. Anyone?

Last edited:

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, both in nvr for channel 6 and on the camera. Both set for motion (yellow bars for every day).

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Ah!
I assumed you were recording to the NVR 24/7
Both set for motion
So for channel 6 to record, you need an MD event. In the event set up screen, the "record" checkbox must be checked.

However, I overlooked something earlier that is disturbing.
but now channel 6 can't get configuration
I get that message when I'm trying to access a feature that isn't supported by the camera. eg: If I select a feature, as IVS, on a camera that doesn't have IVS, I get that error.
What screen were you trying to access when you got the error?

Your next comment muddies the water a bit

Channel 6 camera shows in nvr live view, camera settings set to record,
So you CAN reach the camera, and retrieve "configuration" or not?

Fastb

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Camera live picture is viewable in nvr. Cannot go to "video detect">"record channel" in nvr because the screen as shown in your screen shot says "channel 6 cannot get configuration" Therefore don't know if the nvr "record channel" is correct, because features are grayed out. Hope you can follow this. Thanks. Tried deleting and re-adding camera with no change.

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, just went in to nvr and the camera and turned both to continuous record and that works... so must be a problem with my motion detection setting, whether in the camera or nvr, I can't figure out.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting.
1) make sure the "enable" checkbox is checked in the Setting, Event, Video Detect screen. Hunch: if you haven't enabled MD, maybe it won't let you define the Record Channel numbers.
2) For some reason, your camera doesn't think it has the MD feature. I've heard from some that changing a lot of settings, or making many changes repeatedly, can cuse side effects like camera confusion. So a return to factory defaults may be in order. I think you'll have to do that by surfing to the camera directly, and activate "Default"

Fastb

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
went in to nvr and the camera and turned both to continuous record and that works... so must be a problem with my motion detection setting
So if there wasn't an MD event, that would explain why there wasn't any recording of MD events.
I'm glad normal recording is occurring. But (non-MD) normal recording is something else, sorta unrelated.

Your change to 24/7 recording doesn't seem like a "fix" to the MD recording problem.
And certainly doesn't explain the grey'd out "Record Channel" feature.

I'm signing off for the day. I'll hope to see good news tomorrow.....

Fastb

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Continuous record doesn't fix it but just proves the nvr can record from the camera. Now to try to fix MD. Will let you know tomorrow-thanks again.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do not recommend using PC-NVR. I have tried using it in the past, and even Dahua tech admits it's not great. For the price of a Linux based Dahua NVR, it's so worth just using and NVR.