Dahua NVR only recording and allowing to view 4 cameras out of 6

Reaction score
Hi all, have been running a BI system for a number of years with no dramas.

I decided to try out a Dahua NVR for a new remote storage location we have, I fear I may have purchased an NVR not up to the challenge or I am just being a noob which would be the better outcome.

The model is Dahua NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2 8CH 4K&H.265 Lite Network Video Recorder with 8PoE Ports. I have added 6x 2mp starlight cameras to the system. (I have used these cameras on our BI system for years now without a single problem!). I have also purchased a PTZ camera from Andy that I will add.

I have added all the cameras to the system and reduced frame rate in settings on NVR to 15. The problem is it seems I can only view and record 4 cameras at a time. I am using IE with plugin to look at system. Can anyone share some wisdom with me? Am I able to use more than 4 cameras?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is a Lite NVR (in the title) and as such is very limited. The bandwidth is limited to Access: 80 Mbps; Storage: 80 Mbps; Forward: 60 Mbps, which is nothing once you start adding cameras.

If you lower bitrate to 2048, then you can probably see all the cameras. And if that doesn't work, then you need to lower FPS and resolution as well. But then you probably do not have a good image either.

As you are finding out, not all NVRs are created equal. The 5XXX series NVRs bandwidth exceeds 300Mbps...

Reaction score
Tha
That is a Lite NVR (in the title) and as such is very limited. The bandwidth is limited to Access: 80 Mbps; Storage: 80 Mbps; Forward: 60 Mbps, which is nothing once you start adding cameras.

If you lower bitrate to 2048, then you can probably see all the cameras. And if that doesn't work, then you need to lower FPS and resolution as well. But then you probably do not have a good image either.

As you are finding out, not all NVRs are created equal. The 5XXX series NVRs bandwidth exceeds 300Mbps...
Thanks very much for your reply, so if I want to keep half decent image quality (which will probably be needed in the case of a break in) then 4 cameras is about the limit? Cheers.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will have to play around with the different settings to get it under the limit. My neighbor has a Lorex NVR (which is Dahua OEM) that is limited to 80Mbps and he was able to get 8 cameras going, albeit not at the FPS or bitrate he wanted. I would think you could probably get 4092 bitrate out of it, which for 2MP cameras is ok.

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to verify the very basics, when you login to the NVR, and go to Settings->Camera

1643338988822.png

Do you see all 6 of your cameras listed here?

1643339031880.png

If all 6 are added, and are available from the LIVE screen on the NVR, you would have to change your LIVE view from 4 to 9 cameras to see all 6 at one time...

1643339444148.png

As Wittaj said you may have to bring CBR down to 4096 or 6144 on the MAIN STREAM for the camera itself (it might be set for higher on your cameras? you'll have to let us know)

1643339258846.png

I'd start with that, so you can at least verify it's a bandwidth issue on the entry level NVR....

Reaction score
Just to verify the very basics, when you login to the NVR, and go to Settings->Camera

View attachment 116931

Do you see all 6 of your cameras listed here?

View attachment 116932

If all 6 are added, and are available from the LIVE screen on the NVR, you would have to change your LIVE view from 4 to 9 cameras to see all 6 at one time...

View attachment 116935

As Wittaj said you may have to bring CBR down to 4096 or 6144 on the MAIN STREAM for the camera itself (it might be set for higher on your cameras? you'll have to let us know)

View attachment 116934

I'd start with that, so you can at least verify it's a bandwidth issue on the entry level NVR....
Thanks, I actually have 2 of them reporting status as down:
1643339649640.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good call Jesse! So now look to see if power consumption and available left (if the lite series shows it). Perhaps your 4 cameras have pulled the available power (unlikely), but now chase down why those two are offline.

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There ya go! They might show RED because the user/password is incorrect. Start by verifying you are using the correct user/pass in the NVR for the camera. Re-tyoe them, and maybe they'll turn green. if they still dont' turn green, there might be some other connectivity issue.

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@wittaj is right.. If your user/pass is correct then try unplugged the ethernet cables for the channel 1/2 cameras, and see if after a little while the channel 5/6 cameras suddenly turn GREEN on their own. if they do, it's likely a POE power issue and the NVR can't supply enough for all 6? If 5/6 still don't show up, then plug the cables for cameras 5/6 into the ports where you unplugged 1/2 , in case you have bad ports on your NVR you'll be using "known" good ports that way as a test... (since channels 1/2 worked on those ports)

Reaction score
There ya go! They might show RED because the user/password is incorrect. Start by verifying you are using the correct user/pass in the NVR for the camera. Re-tyoe them, and maybe they'll turn green. if they still dont' turn green, there might be some other connectivity issue.
Nailed it, user pass was incorrect on those two cameras. I think I may have configured them 12 months ago for another job that never happened. Appreciate the help all. Will do some further testing and see if NVR can handle the 6 cameras now they are all operational.

Another question, what compression would you recommend running? H.264H or H.265?

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You still might need to bring the CBR down as Wittaj said, otherwise things might get a little choppy/slow since you have 6x cameras with bandwidth being used for the MAIN and SUB channel both.

The gurus here that are much smarter than me tend to recommend H.264.

Reaction score
You still might need to bring the CBR down as Wittaj said, otherwise things might get a little choppy/slow since you have 6x cameras with bandwidth being used for the MAIN and SUB channel both.

The gurus here that are much smarter than me tend to recommend H.264.
Thanks, yes have set bitrate to 4096 for main streams and 1024 for sub streams.