Dahua NVR Push Notifications

Keoki

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, after searching the internet and this forum I have still not figured out how to get my NVR to send push notifications or emails as they are supposed to. Here is my setup:

DHI-NVR52A16-16P-4KS2 Dahua 16 Port PoE NVR
DAN44BN52 Dahua Network Wedge Camera x2

I plugged the cameras one at a time directly to my router first to set up the username/password as suggested here in the forum. After initial setup, the cameras are now plugged directly into the NVR as they should. The username and passwords are correct, cameras are working on both the NVR screen, and iDMSS app. I can adjust camera settings though the NVR and have enabled notifications for Motion Detection, Face Detection, Power Outage, Tampering, etc however they do not work no matter what I do. I tried connecting a camera directly to the network (bypass NVR) and it will THEN send push and email notifications but once again not when connected to NVR. Why won't this work? Is there a setting that I am missing that allows the notifications to pass through the NVR to my iDMSS app? Since the notifications came through when it was directly connected to network, I know they work and all the ports should be working properly so this is an NVR issue. The only thing I can think of is that the NVR has its DHCP enabled so the IP address of the cameras is 10.1.x.x as issued by the NVR and the NVR is 192.168.x.x as issued by the router. Is this causing the issue and how would I fix this? I like that the cameras are on a separate network so noone can try to log directly in. Any help would be great, thanks!

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You have to go to Alarm Schedule and select all the days and all the time , sometime people forget this :)

When connected to the NVR the master is the NVR you have to add your NVR is the IDMSS app and not the camera alone.

BICK

Keoki

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Bick, thanks for the response. Just to be clear where do I find Alarm Schedule? From the Dahua web service window are you referring to SETUP/SCHEDULE and then set ALARM to be 24/7? Right now I have MD set for 24/7 and that is all. Keep in mind I did say before that when the cams are directly connected to the network (bypassing the NVR) the notifications work so I'm not sure how this would change anything.

The NVR is currently added to my iDMSS as the device and I can preview and playback. The alerts are set on my iDMSS for the NVR for Motion, Face, etc. Also I wouldn't even be able to add the cams separately if I wanted to to iDMSS because the NVR has them on a different IP than my network (it auto assigns it's own DHCP and you cannot change them). Thoughts?

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
when there is motion detection on 1 of your cameras you can see the alarm triggered on the NVR ?
yes you have to select alarm or MD for each channel you want and for 24h/24h all the days.

after this you have to go on GDMSS i dont use IDMSS and after go to menu subsribe to alarm and select the nvr

BICK

Keoki

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, the motion detection alarm is triggered on the NVR and it starts recording but no notifications get pushed to the iDMSS app. GDMSS is for Android, I use iDMSS because I have an iPhone but the process to subscribe to alarms seems to be the same. Making the Alarm 24/7 does not seem to fix this issue. Any other suggestions?

ambonious

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you have a firewall rule setup in your router to block outgoing camera/nvr traffic except for white listing to 17.0.0.0/8 (for apple / ios devices)? I had this rule setup for TCP and UDP and notifications stopped working after a couple of days. When i disable the firewall rules and register the NVR in the iDMSS app and re-subscribe in Alarm Manager, then I was able to get the notifications again. I then re-added the router firewall rules to whitelist only to 17.0.0.0/8 (port 2195) and it works. I suspect it needs to reach out to another location every few days to do something. I think i read AWS (amazon web services)...however not sure. I will not hijack the thread...with my issues :)

Last edited:

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Keoki,
If the cameras worked on their own, but not when connected to the NVR, did you setup/configure email on the NVR? Did that test work? If I understand it correctly, once the cameras are connected to the POE ports on the NVR, they no longer communicate with anything but the NVR. From that point on, it's the NVR that sends out the notifications.

Keoki

n3wb
Reaction score
Keoki,
If the cameras worked on their own, but not when connected to the NVR, did you setup/configure email on the NVR? Did that test work? If I understand it correctly, once the cameras are connected to the POE ports on the NVR, they no longer communicate with anything but the NVR. From that point on, it's the NVR that sends out the notifications.
I currently have email notifications working through Gmail so that is not an issue. Push notifications from the NVR are nonexistent still, when I try to create an "Alarm" from within the iDMSS app it says 'Failure to subscribe'. I have Motion Detection alarms enabled and running 24/7 in the NVR settings for all camera channels. On the NVR monitor itself the alerts will show that there is motion detected and I will get an email, but no push notifications to my phone which is the most important.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I currently have email notifications working through Gmail so that is not an issue. Push notifications from the NVR are nonexistent still, when I try to create an "Alarm" from within the iDMSS app it says 'Failure to subscribe'. I have Motion Detection alarms enabled and running 24/7 in the NVR settings for all camera channels. On the NVR monitor itself the alerts will show that there is motion detected and I will get an email, but no push notifications to my phone which is the most important.
There's an ongoing problem with push notifications to phones, even after you get it to "subscribe". It was supposedly some Google android update that wasn't compatible with Dahua. Mine just started magically working on my phone yesterday 18 Feb 2019 with no changes by me. Now I can see videos of alarm events again.

Reaction score
I am having the same issue, I have my cameras connected to my NVR and I can't get any push notification for IVS. Motion detect notification works though. I noticed that there is no way for me to setup the IVS when browsing through the NVR. I have to browse to the camera individually to setup the IVS. So is that means IVS will not work through the NVR unless it is separated from the NVR?

drdre84

n3wb
Reaction score
i had this issue for a short while after reseting router.
could login and see cams with idmss and motion all set up correctly.
you have to make sure in TCP/IP settings that the dns is 8.8.8.8 and alternative dns is 8.8.4.4
then idmss notifications started working.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem for those of you with “P” built in PoE NVRs is NOT the NVR. Don’t be tempted to start f$&king with the NVR assigned 10.1.1.x networking of the cameras, you’ll make a mess of things.

The problem as mentioned is the smart phone app that Dahua broke 2 years ago

Keoki

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone who is qualified PLEASE help me fix this issue I've had for almost 2 years now? To summarize again I have Dahua cameras directly connected to a Dahua POE NVR, the cams are NOT connected directly to my network. My iDMSS app is connected via both local IP and remote public IP to the Dahua NVR directly, NOT the cameras. I get "Failed To Subscribe" every single time I try to get a motion detect push notification alert set up for any camera. I have already successfully gotten iDMSS notifications when test connecting a camera DIRECTLY to my router and subscribing to motion alerts so the app, my internet, and my device are all fine. Alerts also are getting to my NVR from the cameras because they show up on my NVR monitor. Why are the alerts not going from NVR to iDMSS? What is it that I am missing here to make the cameras work with the NVR like they are supposed to? I already tried enabing uPnP on both NVR and router to let any ports be open it wants, no dice. Any help from someone who works with Dahuas regularly would be greatly appreciated!

Keoki

n3wb
Reaction score
i had this issue for a short while after reseting router.
could login and see cams with idmss and motion all set up correctly.
you have to make sure in TCP/IP settings that the dns is 8.8.8.8 and alternative dns is 8.8.4.4
then idmss notifications started working.
Tried making sure DNS was as suggested on both router and NVR, no luck. Thanks though

drdre84

n3wb
Reaction score
Tried making sure DNS was as suggested on both router and NVR, no luck. Thanks though
the router you dont need to touch dns settings (becase they are for your wan). only the nvr i noticed when i changed it from the above default it stopped working.
make sure that you have port forwarding allowed in your router. you will need to forward the relevant ports.

drdre84

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone who is qualified PLEASE help me fix this issue I've had for almost 2 years now? To summarize again I have Dahua cameras directly connected to a Dahua POE NVR, the cams are NOT connected directly to my network. My iDMSS app is connected via both local IP and remote public IP to the Dahua NVR directly, NOT the cameras. I get "Failed To Subscribe" every single time I try to get a motion detect push notification alert set up for any camera. I have already successfully gotten iDMSS notifications when test connecting a camera DIRECTLY to my router and subscribing to motion alerts so the app, my internet, and my device are all fine. Alerts also are getting to my NVR from the cameras because they show up on my NVR monitor. Why are the alerts not going from NVR to iDMSS? What is it that I am missing here to make the cameras work with the NVR like they are supposed to? I already tried enabing uPnP on both NVR and router to let any ports be open it wants, no dice. Any help from someone who works with Dahuas regularly would be greatly appreciated!
Did you check your isp is allowing you to forward ports?
do a port checker online tool and test the ports are open
mine works fine like so:
have your cams on a 10.* network
then lan router and nvr on a 192.* network (on the router it must have port fowarding).
your internet connection (WAN) needs to allow port forwarding. if you have a static ip great.
**if you dont have static
you will need to setup a dyndns. (adding the dyndns info to both the router (so it updates regularly) and the nvr)
then subscribe to the dyndns hostname and port (that is setup and open)

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The problem for those of you with “P” built in PoE NVRs is NOT the NVR. Don’t be tempted to start f$&king with the NVR assigned 10.1.1.x networking of the cameras, you’ll make a mess of things.

Didn't want to make a new post. Search menu won't produce Gdmss delays..just brings up GDMSS. My question - is it normal for GDMSS push notifications for IVS alarms to have a 5-10 minute delay? Got a Samsung J3 Mission phone.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m on iPhone so use iDMSS and no that’s not normal for me. I get mine almost immediately.

That said I have always had problems with getting an image or video clip, but I do get the notification.

* I also get email with a snapshot almost immediately.

Keoki

n3wb
Reaction score

The problem is not the iDMSS app, I know this because as I mentioned in my original post the notifications WILL work if the cameras are plugged directly into my network and not through the POE NVR.

Again, does anyone qualified to answer this question have a solution to this? Why is my POE NVR not letting notifications go through to the app, but they WILL work if cams are directly connected to network without NVR? Can someone who has everything working the way it should be through a Dahua POE NVR walk me through the steps? This is ridiculous and customer service was not help.