Dahua NVR recommendation: DHI-NVR5216-16P-4KS2E vs DHI-NVR5216-8P-I

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am running a hybrid system of 16 cams (11 WizMind IP cams and 5 HDCVI cams) currently all connected to a XVR (DH-XVR5216-4KL-I2)

The XVR gives the HDCVI cams WizSense AI but I cannot recored on SMD for the IPs or get push notifications for any AI alerts through the XVR.

Only solution is to get a NVR and pull IP cams on to NVR and then pull XVR on to the NVR to get the HDCVI cam channels.

As the IP cams are WizMind cams they carry the AI so I don't need an AI NVR, a pro series will do the job. However I am looking at getting either a Pro Series (DHI-NVR5216-16P-4KS2E) or a WizMind series (DHI-NVR5216-8P-I) NVR. The only feature advantage of getting the WizMind NVR is for the Face Recognition database.

What is everyone ones thoughts between the two NVRs? Should I just go for the WizMind series NVR or is it overkill?

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
and yes the pro series NVR has 16 PoE and the WizMind NVR has 8 PoE... I am running the IPs through a PoE switch so no need for any NVR PoE ports, so that number is irrelevant.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that a, 8 channel nvr will only handle 8 cameras, no matter how they are hooked to the system. Same for a 16 channel, 16 cams only.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am running a hybrid system of 16 cams (11 WizMind IP cams and 5 HDCVI cams) currently all connected to a XVR (DH-XVR5216-4KL-I2)

The XVR gives the HDCVI cams WizSense AI but I cannot recored on SMD for the IPs or get push notifications for any AI alerts through the XVR.

Only solution is to get a NVR and pull IP cams on to NVR and then pull XVR on to the NVR to get the HDCVI cam channels.

As the IP cams are WizMind cams they carry the AI so I don't need an AI NVR, a pro series will do the job. However I am looking at getting either a Pro Series (DHI-NVR5216-16P-4KS2E) or a WizMind series (DHI-NVR5216-8P-I) NVR. The only feature advantage of getting the WizMind NVR is for the Face Recognition database.

What is everyone ones thoughts between the two NVRs? Should I just go for the WizMind series NVR or is it overkill?
Good Question .. one data point I also inspect is the bandwidth ..

1660419448225.png

1660419749742.png

1660419486871.png
1660419703891.png

Attachments

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
'AI by camera' for the '4kS2E' and 'AI by NVR' for the '-I'.
The '-I' means the NVR can do AI functions instead of the camera's processor doing it.
The 4kS2E just links the AI of cameras together.
So a camera added by ONVIF wouldn't get any features with the 4ks2e.

As you stated, your cameras already have AI on them.

One data point I also inspect is the bandwidth ..
10mb/s for a 4MP camera, multiplied by 16 cameras..... yeah It's close to the limit.

So decision time..... using the '-I' model without AI on is a waste, and enabling the AI cuts it back to 160mb which is also a waste if you only need NVR AI for a single camera.
Do you think that onboard AI would ever be of use to you...?
This is why a VMS is much easier to scale lol.

^ I have an NVR5216-16P-I, it is a great NVR.
On board AI is fabulous so I can add generic cameras.

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
'AI by camera' for the '4kS2E' and 'AI by NVR' for the '-I'.
The '-I' means the NVR can do AI functions instead of the camera's processor doing it.
The 4kS2E just links the AI of cameras together.
So a camera added by ONVIF wouldn't get any features with the 4ks2e.

As you stated, your cameras already have AI on them.

10mb/s for a 4MP camera, multiplied by 16 cameras..... yeah It's close to the limit.

So decision time..... using the '-I' model without AI on is a waste, and enabling the AI cuts it back to 160mb which is also a waste if you only need NVR AI for a single camera.
Do you think that onboard AI would ever be of use to you...?
This is why a VMS is much easier to scale lol.

^ I have an NVR5216-16P-I, it is a great NVR.
On board AI is fabulous so I can add generic cameras.
Thanks very helpful, with the IPs all having AI on the cams I don't think I will need to use the NVRs AI, and as shown, enabling the AI on the -I model NVR's IP channels cuts the bandwidth down considerably. The 4kS2E will probably be fine for my current requirements.

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
and me not reading everything fully....

Looks like just the NVR5216-I has 'EoC'.
As far as I know, that is a special Ethernet to BNC connector support but I don't know if that means you can connect a Dahua HDCVI camera directly to it.
Worth enquiring about, if it means I can scrap the XVR, will make sense getting it. Will ask the Dahua supplier regarding the EoC ports. Thanks.