Dahua NVR - Selecting playback video from timeline jumps randomly (VIDEO)

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased 4 Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z, and a Dahua NVR (NVR5216-4KS 2) to go with it.

The cameras work, the NVR is working, everything is connected and I can see and record video ok. My only issue at the moment is with the playback.

When I login via ANY means of web gui/smartdss/idmss etc I have serious problems trying to play back my recorded video from a specific time.

I am able to see that the video has been recorded, however when I try to click on the timeline to select a particular time to view, the playback always jumps to a completely different time!

If I click 10:45am, it'll start around 10:00am, if I click 11:20am, it'll go to 11am etc .

I cannot seek/move on the timeline anywhere between hour marks. It's very frustrating.

I made a short video showing the issue (best watched full screen) - I also noticed notice that if I change the "Pack Duration" option from 60 mins to 30mins, the playback jumps will now start at XX:00 or XX:30mins so perhaps there's something/somelink there.

Could anyone shine some light on how to fix this issue

My NVR details:

Device Type: NVR
Record Channel: 16
Alarm In: 4
Alarm Out: 2
SN: [cut]
Web Version: 3.2.3.91112
Onvif Version: 2.4.1
System Version: 3.215.0000000.3, Build Date: 2017-12-11

Attachments

Last edited:

dikidera

n3wb
Reaction score
There is definitely a bug in Dahua DVR/NVR/XVR, if you look just below your thread, you will see mine with a similar bug.

Reaction score
Well it's not so much a bug as a show stopper!

If you can't view video along a timeline - what use is the recorder?! :wow::(

dikidera

n3wb
Reaction score
It is both, but I agree its pretty bad. Wouldn't be surprised if you had it, but for me the bug is in detecting and concatenating all motion recorded videos.

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is a newer firmware. I'm running the newest firmware on mine and it is not doing that but I cannot say for certain that would be fixed on yours. One important thing on the new firmware though, if you have any of the cheap China market cameras hacked to have English, they might no longer work with the NVR. If a camera is half the cost than any regular retailer and came from eBay, Aliexpress, Amazon, etc there is a very high change that it will be a China market device and Dahua is implementing things in firmware to prevent devices made for China from being used elsewhere, they made international versions of the devices for everywhere else. So be aware - if you are using any China market cameras, then it probably would NOT be a good idea to install the new firmware.

Go to this thread to read about the new firmware, you can see the release notes, etc. NVR5XXX-4KS2 latest new firmware.

There are some nice new features like backing up videos to MP4 file format. The release notes do no specifically address the issue you are describing though.

dikidera

n3wb
Reaction score
I actually have a different device than you, and consequently, a different firmware.

Mine is a Xvr4108c, and fw 3.218.9996000. Which is also the latest for me.

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have no idea on the one you have dikidera..... I only replied because the OP has the same model as mine, so I was familiar with the new firmware for it.

Reaction score
There is a newer firmware. I'm running the newest firmware on mine and it is not doing that but I cannot say for certain that would be fixed on yours. One important thing on the new firmware though, if you have any of the cheap China market cameras hacked to have English, they might no longer work with the NVR. If a camera is half the cost than any regular retailer and came from eBay, Aliexpress, Amazon, etc there is a very high change that it will be a China market device and Dahua is implementing things in firmware to prevent devices made for China from being used elsewhere, they made international versions of the devices for everywhere else. So be aware - if you are using any China market cameras, then it probably would NOT be a good idea to install the new firmware.

Go to this thread to read about the new firmware, you can see the release notes, etc. NVR5XXX-4KS2 latest new firmware.

There are some nice new features like backing up videos to MP4 file format. The release notes do no specifically address the issue you are describing though.

Thanks for the reply @MixManSC

I've updated the firmware because I have no chinese cameras. I then formatted the hard disks and started again.

After recording for 1 day I have the exactly the same issue. I can see all my cameras, I can see the green timeline, yet when I try and play anywhere in the timeline, the video jumps to the start of that hour. eg I click 4:27pm....video will only play from 4:00pm.

I can't fast forward or move through the timeline. This is incredibly frustrating!

Attachments

dikidera

n3wb
Reaction score
Since this is a firmware issue, only Dahua can fix it, but I sent them an email and there has been no reply whatsoever. The only solution might be buying a new DVR from a different maker.

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not sure what might be causing that. I have an NVR5216-16P-4KS2 and I'm not getting that behavior. Only thing I can think is something is configured different in some way or another. I've really only started testing this NVR though. Its not in production yet, installed a second hard drive (two WD purple, one 3TB it came with an a 4TB I added), and have it testing with just 4 cameras right now (all 4 recording 24x7). I can go to playback and pick any point in the timeline and that is where is starts playing. In your video above, around 48 seconds in you clicked a couple of spots after 11:30 and those played right where you clicked??

I just tried to reproduce that behavior on mine and I cannot get it to do that at all. Hard telling what exact specific combinations of things is causing it. Could be the hard drive, could be the display resolution, could be the camera, could be a dirty floor in one room, in other words, sorry but I'm not going to be of much use. :facepalm:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How does it work when you use the OSD - On Screen Display - that is with the attached mouse and monitor on the NVR?

Same result?
Different result?

Reaction score
@mat200 Thanks for the reply.

It was happening everywhere. OSD, web GUI etc. Very very annoying.

However I may have found out something that is linked to it. I had my NVR set up with day light savings time enabled (Time zone GMT) and in my cameras the time settings where also setup with DST enabled too.

I decided to remove all traces of DST in both the NVR and my cameras. I just set my timezone to be 1 hour different than normal and set the same time zone in my cameras. Rebooted the NVR and low and behold I am now able to view video at any point in my timeline.

I haven't had enough time (sic) yet to test out is it the camera DST or the NVR DST settings that are causing the problem, but I think I've narrowed it down to the culprit area.

Amazed noone else has ever had this issue before. Nearly everyone must use the DST settings?!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200 Thanks for the reply.

It was happening everywhere. OSD, web GUI etc. Very very annoying.

However I may have found out something that is linked to it. I had my NVR set up with day light savings time enabled (Time zone GMT) and in my cameras the time settings where also setup with DST enabled too.

I decided to remove all traces of DST in both the NVR and my cameras. I just set my timezone to be 1 hour different than normal and set the same time zone in my cameras. Rebooted the NVR and low and behold I am now able to view video at any point in my timeline.

I haven't had enough time (sic) yet to test out is it the camera DST or the NVR DST settings that are causing the problem, but I think I've narrowed it down to the culprit area.

Amazed noone else has ever had this issue before. Nearly everyone must use the DST settings?!
HI pilot

DST is an issue with many systems handling time - due to the forward and back 2x a year messing with the timeline - so I just used a standard offset. Not a perfect solution.

Surprised it is causing issues on regular viewing each day.

Also suspect Chinese developers not appreciating it as iirc China does not do this adjustment.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I can tell you for sure its buggy firmware, for testing purposes try this, Disable DST , default your time zone too and leave it at whatever time zone the default is. Reset your camera time and the NVR's time to whatever your PC is. Let it run and see what happens. If that works for you and things are correct with the time line then its a time bug, I have had to deal with it before on a few systems i set up. And yes the Chinese do not have dst so must not be a priority in some firmware hacks. UPDATE: I just read your temp fix basically doing what said..seems some NVr will jump a hour for no good reason when DST is set.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
have the same issu,
disable dst and restart not work for me :(
My post was from 5 years ago, What "Could" have worked back then most likely not going to work now, one thing is consistent, Dahua still has buggy firmware.,