Dahua NVR Setup

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I finally broke down and purchased my first security system. I purchased a Dahua NVR (DHI-NVR4208-8P-4kS2) along with 5 IPC-HFW2231TP-ZS.
Setting this up is a pain for me as looks all foreign (TCP/UPNP etc..) I have some knowledge but very very limited.

First question, is there a way to set up my NVR to WIFI..I've been googling and YouTube for the past 2 hours and I can find anything. Is there a way to make this happen and in a way that even a layman like myself can do it?

Also for email alerts..I dont know what I am doing wrong but I always get a "test error"
Here's what I am entering
So for SMTP server I enter: smtp.gmail.com
Port 465 (SSL) or 587 (TLS)
username: xxx@gmail.com
password: xxxx
Receiver: xxxx@gmail.com
Sender: xxxx@gmail.com
Encryption type: None/SSL/TLS ...I pick tls
Interval: 120s (default)
Health Enable (unchecked) 60 min (default)

Could I be getting an error of due to the fact that Gmail requires both SSL and TLS encryption type and the options I get are one or the other but not both?

My end is to be able to watch my cameras from my phone without the NVR being connected to my mobile hotspot.

thanks for your help!

Mark

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Email alerts using Gmail remains broken on NVR4208-8P-4kS2, so you will need to use another provider. I am successfully using Yahoo, but I have read of someone having problems with this option. There is a whole thread on the topic of email alerts.

You probably need to advise the rest of your home network infrastructure to get advice regarding connectivity. It should be easy to use your local WiFi to access your LAN connected NVR. However your phone browser will not be able to use the "plug in" required to view the NVR. You can use GDMSS or IDMSS depending on the your Android/Apple handset. This app based access is primarily for viewing, not for programming or set-up tasks. To do this you need to use the NVR, or Internet Explorer browser across the network.

If you want to access the NVR outside your local WiFi, then you should set up a VPN. Do not use the other optiond. Again, there is a dedicated thread.

It's a learning curve. Make some coffee!

Cheers, Steve

Reaction score
Thank you Steve for your response. I'll definitely make a couple pots of coffee because this is definitely not my field of expertise. As for my phone I did download GMDSS and it works great as well as. You hit the nail on the coffin..all I would like to do is view of my cameras especially when I am away.

Thanks again!

Mark

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Netgear Nighthawk router and use a Netgear WiFi extender connected to the NVR to manage it via my network laptops/PCs just fine

Reaction score
I have an atat mobile hotspot that is my router..isnt bad but the signal could be better. unfortunately the only internet that I could get in my area is either satellite or a mobile hotspot

Reaction score
I was just curious as I'm going to try and find a way to use 4g to remotely monitor a system