Dahua NVR will not find either of my two Dahua IPCs

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HI All

My physical setup is as follows:
- 2 Dahua IPC connected to a POE switch.
- POE switch connected to Dahua NVR POE port

I have been able to log into each of the cameras (each assigned a static ip address) by plugging the CAT6 directly into my laptop and accessing the web GUI through google Chrome. Thereby bypassing the NVR entirely. I get a video feed no problem from each.

I knew that I would need to have the DHCP checkbox ticked on the camera directly, as once I introduced the cameras into the DVR, this would need to be done as the POE port on the DVR needs to assign the IPs to the cameras.

I did this, but the NVR will not find the cameras. As an alternate option, instead of using the POE port on the NVR, I used the network port of the NVR. This time, each of the cameras showed up, but with RED status and i have been unable to add these or see a live video feed on the NVR.

I think I might be getting quite confused here. I have tried tinkering with the setup for hours to no avail. I am at the stage of selling the NVR and getting a pc instead!

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
here's what I got on the NVR when the cable from the switch (which has the cameras connected) is plugged into the "Network" port of my NVR instead of the POE ports

Jeroen1000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
First things first.

1. Reset the camera's.
2. Plug them both into the same (POE) switch.
3. Assign your laptop a static IP address in the same default subnet as the camera's you have reset. Plug the laptop into the POE-switch. Now you can get into the camera WEB-GUI.
4. Assign the camera's a fixed ip addresses in your own LAN-subnet. Also fill in the default gateway (typically your router). Do make sure that whatever device is handing out DHCP cannot hand out the fixed addresses you have just given to the camera's. As soon as you save this camera config you will no longer be able to access them. This is because your laptop is in a different subnet than the camera's.
5. Have you laptop request DHCP instead of having the statically assigned address. They will now once again be in the same subnet as your laptop. I'm assuming your laptop can reach the device handing out DHCP. If it cannot, you need to give your laptop a static address as you did with the camera's. You can access the camera's using the IP address you have assigned them.
6. Assign the NVR a static address just as you did with the camera's. It has to be in the same subnet as the camera's and your laptop. Plug it into the POE switch too.

Now the NVR should be able to find the camera's.

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for this Jeroen. I will get the ladder out to reset the cameras first. Hopefully I can work through these steps quick quickly and report back here later!
Thanks again.

Jeroen1000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you need any details about a step just give me a shout. Putting the cam's behind the NVR-directly will make the NVR put them in a whole new subnet. I believe it is the 10.x.x.x network in your screenshot. I really dislike that as you then will no longer be able to connect to the camera's directly: you need to go through the NVR at all times. Some settings are not exposed in the NVR-GIU so that would mean a loss of settings to tweak:)

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can put the POE switch and cameras on your native network. Instead of setting static IP addresses for the cameras, use DHCP reservation in your router. Once you use the search function on the NVR, you're set. You can the view the cameras either the NVR or directly.

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First things first.

1. Reset the camera's.
2. Plug them both into the same (POE) switch.
3. Assign your laptop a static IP address in the same default subnet as the camera's you have reset. Plug the laptop into the POE-switch. Now you can get into the camera WEB-GUI.
4. Assign the camera's a fixed ip addresses in your own LAN-subnet. Also fill in the default gateway (typically your router). Do make sure that whatever device is handing out DHCP cannot hand out the fixed addresses you have just given to the camera's. As soon as you save this camera config you will no longer be able to access them. This is because your laptop is in a different subnet than the camera's.
5. Have you laptop request DHCP instead of having the statically assigned address. They will now once again be in the same subnet as your laptop. I'm assuming your laptop can reach the device handing out DHCP. If it cannot, you need to give your laptop a static address as you did with the camera's. You can access the camera's using the IP address you have assigned them.
6. Assign the NVR a static address just as you did with the camera's. It has to be in the same subnet as the camera's and your laptop. Plug it into the POE switch too.

Now the NVR should be able to find the camera's.
1. Physical reset of each of the two cameras complete. I plugged my laptop into the POE switch and I have logged into Smart PSS and both cameras now have an ip address of 192.168.1.108.
2. Both cameras are running into my POE switch.
3. Assinged laptop a suitable ip. Successfully logged into the camera web GUI.
4. trying to understand the next steps.

Jeroen1000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Let me briefly elaborate. All the other stuff in your home is in a subnet too. It could be for instance 192.168.0.0/24 (this is called a subnet). Which means the first device in the subnet can be 192.168.0.1 and the last 192.168.0.253 (.254 and .255 are special and cannot be used for devices).

You need to change the IP's on the camera's so that the are in the same subnet as all the other stuff in your home. More than likely that subnet is NOT 192.168.1.0/24 as that is the subnet Dahua has arbitrarily picked. As soon as you change one camera to your home subnet you will move it from 192.168.1.108 to for instance, 192.168.0.1. At that point your laptop is still in subnet 192.168.1.0/24.

In orde to get to the camera whose IP you have changed to 192.168.0.1, you will need to move your laptop to 192.168.0.0/24 too. For instance, your laptop could be 192.168.0.10. Of course you need to figure out what your home subnet is first.

Jeroen1000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My bet I was a bit too fast there. You are entirely correct

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
unfortunately that has not worked for me (EDIT: IT HAS HALF WORKED!!). To recap on what i have done
- Physical reset of both cameras
- Manually sett ip address of one, but the second one would not allow me in (after I had changed pass), and it stated "account locked"!
- In order to continue to see if I could get the NVR to recognice at least one of the cameras, I manually assigned the NVR an IP. In this case it was 192.168.1.26, and I changed the default gateway to 192.168.1.1. One of my IP cameras is manually assinged to 192.168.1.60.
- I have checked my router, and it is 192.168.1.1.
- I have my NVR plugged into the POE switch.
- I also have my router plugged into my POE switch.
- When I access my NVR, the two cameras appear, the one which IP I successfully manually assigned (to 192.168.1.60) and also the camera that locked me out (which still has the IP assigned to it ater the physical reset i.e. 192,168.1.108).
- I try to add both cameras, however they move down to the "added device" box, but both show red status radio buttons (EDIT: NOW THE .108 CAMERA SHOWS GREEN AND I CAN VIEW, BUT THIS WAS THE CAMERA THAT I DIDNT MANUALLY RE-ASSIGN AN IP ADDRESS TO!!!). THE .60 CAMERA (MANUALLY RE-ASSIGNED) STILL SHOWS RED STATUS

I am going to need to medical attention soon, these cameras have my mind cracked!!!!

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The network port on the NVR is not intended to be used for cams. That port would plug into the switch.

When a cam locks you out, its for a set period of time. Simply power cycle the cam to unlock.

I would reset everything back to defaults, NVR & Cams.

Then ---one at a time--- plug the cams into the poe port on the --nvr--. Plug first cam in, wait for the NVR to configure it, then plug in the 2nd cam.

It can take up to 5 minutes for the NVR to discover and setup the cam. This --should-- happen automatically.

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The network port on the NVR is not intended to be used for cams. That port would plug into the switch.

When a cam locks you out, its for a set period of time. Simply power cycle the cam to unlock.

I would reset everything back to defaults, NVR & Cams.

Then ---one at a time--- plug the cams into the poe port on the --nvr--. Plug first cam in, wait for the NVR to configure it, then plug in the 2nd cam.

It can take up to 5 minutes for the NVR to discover and setup the cam. This --should-- happen automatically.
Thanks. The problem I have is that the NVR is not located so that it can take input directly from the cameras. I have a POE switch connected to the cameras.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Plug your POE switch anywhere on your local network and follow what I posted earlier. That's the point of buying the POE switch. In fact, if you buy a NVR with over 16 channels, it will only have 16 POE ports and you have to use a POE switch.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, your solution is simple.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can set them to exactly what DHCP assigned them to. You can see what they are assigned by using either the search feature in the NVR or use an IP scan tool on your PC.

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can set them to exactly what DHCP assigned them to. You can see what they are assigned by using either the search feature in the NVR or use an IP scan tool on your PC.
OK, thanks. I will try this. I assume that once i find out these, and then reserve them, then I will not need to re-reserve these again, and they remain static from then onwards?

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, dhcp reservations are just as good as statics, well almost. The nice thing about it is the router shows you a list of all attached devices. The only downside would be the cam has to request a new IP periodically which might cause a second or 2 of down time periodically, but no biggie as it gets the same address each time. I use dhcp reservations and my router gives out leases for 30 days.
This is a key bonus.