Dahua NVR4116HS-4KS2 looses the last added camera after a while or restart

KawaNinja

n3wb
Reaction score
Something strange is happening with the 16 Channel Dahua NVR since I added one last camera. I have 13 Dahua cameras connected and running fine until now. I recently added a new Dahua camera (#14) and after a while it got disconnected from the NVR and had to ADD it again. But it kept disconnecting from the NVR. The camera is still connected to the network, it appears in camera list in WEB interface. I just have to ADD it in order the NVR to use it.
I reset the NVR to factory defaults, formatted the hard disk, re-installed the last firmware from Dahua site just to be sure, added all cameras to the NVR.
BUT
The camera that I add the last (it doesn't matter which camera it is) gets disconnected after a while !
It is not a network issue, nor a specific camera problem (the last added one gets disconnected).
Six of the cameras are connected to a POE switch , the rest are connected to the WiFi (MESH) network.

Did anybody ever faced a problem like this, any idea how to resolve ?
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I kinda wonder if you arent exceeding the max bandwidth or decoding ability of that NVR?

KawaNinja

n3wb
Reaction score
I checked that, not even half of it.
All cameras are in H.265 mode and checking the BPS page in the NVR I see that it is less than 30 Mbps
It kick the last camera out almost immediately.
Although I bought it from eBay from a seller that is in business since 2013 and specialize in DAHUA, can it be a Chinese hardware with an English forced software causing the problem ?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You said it doesn’t matter which camera is added last…Ive not seen any benefit of Dahua’s implementation of h.265 but a number of folks have had various issues using it. Mebbe try going to h.264 on them and see if it makes a difference.

KawaNinja

n3wb
Reaction score
If I don't find any other solution I might try that.
It will be a good test to see if the storage will be effected (as it should).
But why do you think moving the cameras to H.264 should help solve the problem ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What are the other parameters set to?

If you have the cams set to VBR then you may be looking at a small time period where the bandwidth isn't exceeded. Then motion ramps up the bitrate and then you are over. Plus what about anything connected to watch it. Any apps, etc. is consuming part of that bandwidth.

Or it could be a power issue and you are exceeding the total wattage available that the NVR can put out. Read the fine print, rarely can an NVR send out the power per port for every port - there is a max limit it can do in total as well.

And you mentioned you have some cams connected via wifi. So a microwave turns on and bam you have a lost camera. Or the wifi cannot keep up with the constant video streaming.

I am leaning towards a power issue or issue with the wifi.

KawaNinja

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas.
The cameras are connected to external POE switch not to the NVR so I don't think it is a power issue.
I tried leaving a wired camera as the number 14, it was also kicked out almost immediately, so I don't think it is a WiFi issue neither.
All cameras are in VBR mode, maybe the BPS is higher than what I think.
But according to my calculation even in H.264 mode with 12 4MP plus 2 2MP cameras should not hit 80Mbps limit so quick.
I know that the 80Mbps is theoretical, maybe the HW is not capable supporting that, but the fact that it gets kicked out immediately makes me think maybe there is something else.
I will try to reduce 3-4 cameras to 2MP to see if it solves the mystery.
If I don't find the cause I will have to live with 13 cameras :-(

KawaNinja

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to update you, it might help someone that is having the same problem.
It is definitely bandwidth issue.
To test it I reduced all cameras to 2MP (1980x1080) and I was able to add the camera #14.
After running it for couple of days with that configuration I see that no camera was kicked out,
I now retuned all the cameras to 4MP mode except two that I left in 2MP (in addition to the one that is a 2MP camera) and everything seems OK,
I'll update you if I find anything else.
It is disappointing to see that the DAHUA NVR can not keep up with this, according to "on paper" calculations it was supposed to be OK.

Thank you all for your help.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I kinda thought so. Are you recording the substream as well? I believe you have to consider both the main and substream combined in the total bandwidth.

I think that model NVR is discontinued but the 4000 series is considered “lite” and are the least powerful of their line. The 5000 series are much more capable.

Glad you got it sorted out.

KawaNinja

n3wb
Reaction score
No, I'm not recording substream. I'm not viewing any camera that's why I still don't see (on paper) how I got to 80 Mbps but it is what it is.
This model is EOL now, but the replacement model NVR4116HS-4KS2/L is also 80 Mbps.
Originally I planned he system for 10 cameras but kept adding more :)
Thank you for your help.