Dahua NVR5216-16P-I

Steveee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here are some pictures and screen shots of the NVR5216-16P-I , I bought from @EMPIRETECANDY .
Personally I am very pleased with this NVR, after a bit of a learning curve for the various setting, I find it works really well :)
I use IVS tripwire and intrusion rules, face detection and recognition. You can't use all the features at once per channel on the NVR , but if you set IVS rules on the cam, the NVR can be set for face detection and recognition, or vice versa depending on what your cam can do? (for example 7842 cam has extra settings for exposure of face capture).
I don't use the ANPR and some of the other features.

I agree with @Arjun and others on this forum that using a separate switch is the best way to go for maximum flexibility , but for me as a newcomer to the world of IP Camera systems, I found there was more than enough to be learning already , and this POE option meant one less thing to worry about (plug them in and they just work). Now I've got my head around most of this. Do I wish I'd gone for a non POE model ? short answer - NO. This NVR combined with the various cams I have does everything I need, and I think it does it very well.

I think Looney said the fan on the 4216-I is quiet. To me the fans on this 5216 model seem a bit noisy ( Not excessive, but noticeable in a quiet room ), Not a problem for me, its not in the lounge.

NVR front.jpg NVR rear.jpg

@c hris527 here is pictures of inside

NVR board.jpg NVR Internal view_LI.jpg

And some screen shots of web interface for anyone interested.

Main Menu 1.png Main Menu 2.png AI Face Library.png AI Search.png AI Settings.png Live Viewing.png Playback.png Alarm.png

And some screenshots of IVS rules

Screenshot (53).png Screenshot (54).png Screenshot (55).png Screenshot (56).png

and Face Recognition, notification on gDMSS app

Face Recognition by NVR.jpg Phone notifications.jpg
Face Recognition on NVR search. (note. usually shows pictures on left now)

Cam AI working, and NVR Face detection working in NVR PlayBack.

Edit:
How to set up Face Detection.
AI > Parameters > Face Detection
Select by Device (if camera supports Face Detection," by Camera " option is also available, but then you can't use IVS on camera)
Set min/max size etc
Don't forget to save.
Face Detection By Device.png

How to set Face Recognition
AI > Database > Library > Add
Face Library Add.png

Click on "i" to add information
Face Lib_Information.png
Then Click on Register ID
Face Lib_Register ID.png
Then Add picture and Information as required.
Face Lib_ID pic added.png Face Lib_Finished add.png

AI > Parameters > Face Recognition
Enable. Select channel. Period setting. " + " .
Face Recognition by Device.png

Check Setting for face Library is recording ALL channels you want to record.
IGNORE the "Operation Failed" warning at top, it Still worked, for me anyway.

I don't think I missed any steps, but you get the idea, Don't Forget to Save.

Search by Image.png

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for doing that. Always nice to look under the hood.:lol:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here are some pictures and screen shots of the NVR5216-16P-I , I bought from @EMPIRETECANDY .
Personally I am very pleased with this NVR, after a bit of a learning curve for the various setting, I find it works really well :)
I use IVS tripwire and intrusion rules, face detection and recognition. You can't use all the features at once per channel on the NVR , but if you set IVS rules on the cam, the NVR can be set for face detection and recognition, or vice versa depending on what your cam can do? (for example 7842 cam has extra settings for exposure of face capture).

I agree with @Arjun and others on this forum that using a separate switch is the best way to go for maximum flexibility , but for me as a newcomer to the world of IP Camera systems, I found there was more than enough to be learning already , and this POE option meant one less thing to worry about (plug them in and they just work). Now I've got my head around most of this. Do I wish I'd gone for a non POE model ? short answer - NO. This NVR combined with the various cams I have does everything I need, and I think it does it very well.

I think Looney said the fan on the 4216-I is quiet. To me the fans on this 5216 model seem a bit noisy ( Not excessive, but noticeable in a quiet room ), Not a problem for me, its not in the lounge.

View attachment 48912 View attachment 48913

@c hris527 here is pictures of inside

View attachment 48914 View attachment 48917

And some screen shots of web interface for anyone interested.

View attachment 48916 View attachment 48918 View attachment 48919 View attachment 48920 View attachment 48921 View attachment 48922 View attachment 48923 View attachment 48924
Because yours is POE, it has the extra fan because of the big power supply. ;)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Darn, that User Interface looks nice :D I know I'm trying to say that word, but its better to keep it rated G, lol :lol:

Thank you @Steveee

Steveee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looney said in the Review-AI NVR 4216-I

This NVR and the Review-Dahua IPC-HFW7842HP-Z AI, ANPR Ultra 8MP Varifocal Starlight Cam still do not play nice together.
I'm going to ask Andy if there is an updated firmware for this NVR or it could still be an issue with the firmware for the 7842 cam.
The NVR is not receiving commands from the camera, nor is it receiving MetaData from the camera.
Setup the cam from it's interface, and the instructions don't get sent to the NVR.
Try setting up the cam from the NVR, and some functions will change, but then they don't record what they are supposed to record to the NVR. Some functions won't respond
This is also mostly true for this NVR5216 . Having these issues resolved would great :D

Love2ski

n3wb
Reaction score
@Steveee Thanks for the screen captures. I noticed a few things as I ran through my web interface.
1. Face Detection is ghosted on my Smart Plan
2. I do not have a "Type" Drop down in the IVS menu (Your setup shows AI From Camera)
Mine looks like this:

IVS SETUP.JPG

3. You mentioned in your post that you setup parameters directly on the camera. How do I get access to the camera menu beyond the web interface of the NVR?
4. What app are you using to display the face capture? Is that pushed directly to your phone or is it via an email?

Thanks for all of the advice - I feel like I am closing in.

Steveee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
1. Face Detection is ghosted on my Smart Plan
2. I do not have a "Type" Drop down in the IVS menu (Your setup shows AI From Camera)

If you un-select IVS (light bulb), you should be able to select face detection, On my set-up I have camera set for IVS , and AI (face detection & Recognition) on AI NVR, you might not be able to have both if your NVR does not have AI? Although I thought Arjun said AI functions have been added to one of the NVR Firmware updates.

3. You mentioned in your post that you setup parameters directly on the camera. How do I get access to the camera menu beyond the web interface of the NVR?
4. What app are you using to display the face capture? Is that pushed directly to your phone or is it via an email?
Log into NVR with internet explorer(not Edge)(some use Chrome with IE plugin), go to Camera registration, should show list of your cams, click on the "e" (internet explorer), It will open a new tab, log in with same details as NVR. Note, for me with poe NVR, I had to connect to spare poe port to download plugin to be able to see video. After that could log in via wifi as normal.
I use android gDMSS app. Don't use p2p etc, log in by IP address. Then use VPN when your out and about.

I'll add a screenshot of Face Recognition to first post.
Hope that all helps. :)

Love2ski

n3wb
Reaction score
@Steveee I think my mistake with the browser was my computer defaults to Edge. Is there a link to the plug-in required? I am lost as to how you downloaded the plugin when connected to a spare POE port.
You were spot on with turning off IVS - that allows me to select Face Detection in the Smart Plan.
4.0 does have the AI so I need to see how I log into the camera and turn on features there and offload some of that from the NVR - correct?

Steveee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am lost as to how you downloaded the plugin when connected to a spare POE port.
Just turn off wifi on laptop. connect lan cable, log into cam as normal(above). If you need to download plugin it will say where video should be, click on it, it will download from camera.(make sure you select "save and run". Then next time you log in from wifi it should work OK, even if you have cams with different plugins.

Jstar

n3wb
Reaction score
How to set up Face Detection.
AI > Parameters > Face Detection
Select by Device (if camera supports Face Detection," by Camera " option is also available, but then you can't use IVS on camera)
Set min/max size etc
Don't forget to save.
Hi,

ive been trying to set this up on my Dahua nvr and can’t get it to enable. I can get to the same screen as you but it doesn’t allow me to tick the enable checkbox. Any ideas? Thanks

eldy

n3wb
Reaction score
What firmware version are you running now on your 5216-16P-I?

dex90

n3wb
Reaction score
How does it send email notifications if there is no internet access? Does it host own email server and can send emails only to clients on the local network? Do I need to host a local email server like EmailEnable and then the NVR can connect to it as a client and send emails to other local clients?

Is there a way to connect a 2G/3G/4G module in order to send alerts to a mobile phone?

Under “Trigger Events” in I see “Buzzer, Voice Prompts, Email, Snapshot, Recording, Alarm Out, PTZ Activation, etc.”. Does “Alarm Out” mean I can connect VNR to my existing alarm central that does include a module for sending SMS’s? I kind of feel this can’t work out of the box and would require that both systems have a matching protocol.

Can the software of these NVR’s be extended in any way? I understand everything is closed source but is there any API at all I can use to connect other devices to send and receive signals from NVR? Looking into "Interoperability ONVIF 2.4, SDK, CGI" now:)

Last edited: