Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 V2 or NVR4216-16P-4KS2 or ?

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've purchased 3 x Dahua IPC-HDW5831R-ZE (4K 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens) so far from Empire Technology, who I've nothing but praise for - outstanding customer service! I took the lead from who best to use from other wiser folks (than me) who use this forum, thanks to all who mentioned Empire.

Since I'm starting afresh, I decided to go with a 4K set up, with around 8 cameras to start with but the option to add more, hence 16 ch

It's a residential property, a bungalow that I own. I'm seeking advice on which NVR would suit me best.

I've looked at the specs of the 5216 and 4216 and don't have a clue which would suit my needs.

I'm asking for suggestions on which of the above would be better or if there is a better option.

Thanks to all.

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cheers @bigredfish I thought the 5216 was released after the 4216, well that's what I read somewhere, and the 5216 is slightly cheaper which doesnt make much sense to me.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Cheers @bigredfish I thought the 5216 was released after the 4216, well that's what I read somewhere, and the 5216 is slightly cheaper which doesnt make much sense to me.
Not only the "5216" versus "4216" does make the difference, the extensions behind it (eg without or with 16P, or 4KS2 or 4KS2E). The first extension indicate how many POE ports (none = lacks POE, 16P = has 16 POE ports), 4KS2 is "old" model, 4KS2E is extended POE (and thus newer model).

Hope this helps!
CC

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks @catcamstar, it helped a lot - the devil is in the detail as always. It would be very easy (for a newbie like me) to 'accidently' purchase an "old" model thinking it was a newer model...

So, as I've 4K cameras and want to get the best out of them recording and playback wise, with 16 channels to future proof, can you suggest which 16 channel Dahua NVR would be most suitable?

I'm just wishing to purchase the most suitable NVR that matches the spec of the cameras. I'm not working to a budget, if it's slightly more expensive, that's fine.

I guess in time and with experience, this decision becomes easier, but right now it's proofing hard :)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @catcamstar, it helped a lot - the devil is in the detail as always. It would be very easy (for a newbie like me) to 'accidently' purchase an "old" model thinking it was a newer model...

So, as I've 4K cameras and want to get the best out of them recording and playback wise, with 16 channels to future proof, can you suggest which 16 channel Dahua NVR would be most suitable?

I'm just wishing to purchase the most suitable NVR that matches the spec of the cameras. I'm not working to a budget, if it's slightly more expensive, that's fine.

I guess in time and with experience, this decision becomes easier, but right now it's proofing hard :)
Hi @Chocman

The NVRs are designed to record as a primary function. If you want to playback the full "4K" streams the NVRs will eventually run short of processing power and you'll need to setup another system for display ( example if you plan to have a display wall of many "4K" streams ).

The NVR52xx series iirc has more processing power than the NVR42xx series - so given the choice between the 2 I like to get the NVR52xx

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @mat200 - aha recording and playback quality are mutually exclusive - to a newbie, on a steep learning curve, that's not obvious and I can already here the sighs. Sorry everyone, my field of expertise is chocolate lol and dont know much about cctv now, so I'll take your advice.