Dahua NVR's Claim to Support Drives up to 10TB?

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know that this is a topic that has had some discussion around it. I saw one post where somebody got a 12TB drive working on a Dahua NVR, but until today, that's the largest drive that I know of anyone trying to use.

An acquaintance of mine is installing a system at his new home and he came across some WD Purple 22TB drives on Amazon. He decided to order one and see if it would work.
img_2777.jpg

So, what do you guys think? Does the file system put at cap at 20TB? Or is there a discrepancy in the way that the size is calculated by WD vs Dahua?

Windows detects my 2TB drive as being slightly larger than 1.8TB. If I plugged in a 22TB drive, it would likely detect it as about 19.9TB if my math is correct.

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's kinda what I was thinking, but just wasn't sure. So I guess the conclusion is that a 22TB drive wil be fully supported, but to my knowledge, nobody has tried a larger drive (which would be unnecessary since 22TB seems to be the largest surveillance grade drive available to my knowledge)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's kinda what I was thinking, but just wasn't sure. So I guess the conclusion is that a 22TB drive wil be fully supported, but to my knowledge, nobody has tried a larger drive (which would be unnecessary since 22TB seems to be the largest surveillance grade drive available to my knowledge)
probably will depend on the firmware / bios / board .. my guess the newer pro level NVRs have support for larger HDDs .. cheaper smaller consumer NVRs .. or older NVRs may not.

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
22TB should yield 20.0089 TiB so there may be something limiting size to 19.99.
It's also possible that the drive isn't a full 22TB. Maybe it's 21.9xx and WD just said, close enough.

Either way, I'm glad to see that larger drives like this work.