Dahua or Hikvision IP Camera

karunakar

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post and i have started looking into IP cameras since last week and i am in Australia so buying directly from local source would not be as cheap as Aliexpress or Amazon but mostly i would be getting from Aliexpress with reputable sellers.

Here are the cameras i am thinking to get and i need 4 for now and would be using PC NVR temporarily and then would get dedicated NVR later on.

BTW i would be getting 8 port POE switch for these camera.

HikVision

DS-2CD2345-I
DS-2CD2145F-IS
DS-2CD2035-I (3MP Bullet) As i need two for drive away and to cover front of the house.

Dahua

IPC-HDW4431C-A
IPC-HDBW4421R-AS or IPC-HDBW4431R-AS
IPC-HFW4300R-Z (3MP)

If i go for Dahua i could save ~$30AUD but i am not after saving ~$30 and i want something good quality with reliable quality.

Please recommend which one would be better choice in terms of quality of image and recording.

I am capable of working with complex system but i would prefer not to spend too much time on setting up.

Thanks,
Karunakar

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dahua for me, especially vs 2xx5 cameras. Big plus is the ONVIF is better.

Image quality similar as they have the same sensors.

karunakar

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you Del Boy and what do you rate about Dahua cameras that i have mentioned as i have narrow down to those models on both brands for my needs.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I only have the 1.3MP and 3MP versions but are very happy with them. Those models are fine.

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the 4431ca and like it so far, but just found the IPC-HDW4421EM-AS. Looks line the same specs, but with a more powerful IR. I'm on my phone so hard to a comparison right now.

karunakar

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you Tygger. it seems like more forum support for Hikvision and most of them seems to lean towards Hikvision.

I may get Hikvision and let you know guys what i get and how they work.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I may get Hikvision and let you know guys what i get and how they work.
If you do this then get a Hikvision NVR, don't mix and match when it comes to brands.

I have Hikvision, I got one of my sister's Dahua. If I did it again, I'd get myself Dahua. OK, when I do it again hahaha.

karunakar

n3wb
Reaction score
I will be using PC NVR for now and once i have enough funds for NVR then i get Brand specific NVR. Thanks Del Boy.

wackystuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would go for the hikvision turret.. their IR is far better than the hikvision dome, bullet.. not that familiar with the dahuas.

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If a built in mic for audio is important to you, consider the Dahua turret. Image quality seems to be very similar between the hik and dahua 4mp turret... However, we know the hik turret has a sturdy metal base while we're still trying to determine which of the Dahuas bases are metal.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
7 dahua cameras been running for over 2 years now, with matching Dahua NVR.. does everything I demand of it, which is alot.

2 years ago when I bought mine, I was about to buy Hikvision, I had worked with several Hik systems and was extremely impressed.. then I learned of there region locking nonsence and found Dahua, they did not have all the same form factors that Hikvision did at the time, like mini-wedge, cube, turret.. but I knew I wanted a couple PTZ's and everyone here agreed that Dahua set the bar on PTZ cameras, while Hik still had the advantage of having a wider range of Fixed Cameras.

Fast forward, and currently Dahua has a fixed camera answer to everything on Hik's lineup.. the advantage Hik once had over Dahua has evaporated and I think Dahua is clearly the all-arround champ, at the moment.

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
we know the hik turret has a sturdy metal base while we're still trying to determine which of the Dahuas bases are metal.
Word of caution, not all new hik turret models have a metal base.

My Dahua turret IPC-HDW4431C-A has a plastic base.

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have to add one more positive thing about Dahua as opposed a negative for Hikvision.

If you call Hikvision technical department in US the first question they ask is the serial number of your unit, your name, and where you purchased the cam from. If you purchased from unauthorized Hikvision dealer, tech department will not help. They will tell you to contact the seller who you purchased the unit. I did not like the experience I had with Hik tech. He had an attitude and was talking to me as if I was a criminal for purchasing the unit from an unauthorized Hikvision dealer.

This Wednesday I contacted Dahua technical department in California. Within a couple of minutes a real tech answered the phone. I told him I purchased a new Dahua NVR4208-4k, stated to him the problems I am having with the NVR, VGA port not working and 4 seconds of frames skipping. I was shocked the tech actually listened to what I was saying. He didn't ask me for any serial number. He told me to try to change the Dither and other settings. I had to run down to the basement where I have the NVR. Tech was very helpful explaining to me the settings. He took his time answering my questions...because of this experience with Dahua tech department I will only purchase Dahua cameras in the future.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
At some point Hikvision's unhelpful and rude attitude to people who have bought their products from other than the high-margin 'authorised' resellers may catch up with them, once their competitors nip their heels.
Why they don't invest some effort in putting up some useful FAQs for the common set of queries that people have and everyone can benefit from beats me.
Good products - but such bad customer service.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hikvision has made it abundantly clear that they value entrenching old, dead business models from a pre-Globalized market.. There products are great, but I cant recommend them because I would be endorsing them as a result.. and I cant in good faith do that.

Adapt or Die..

@Anto, im amazed u got someone from Dahua on the phone.. usually OEM's wont ever talk to end users... Dahua never pretended to be a consumer company, so they have no obligations to provide support.. as opposed to Hik which markets and supports consumers, as long as you supported there stupid distribution models.. otherwise they'd rather your brick your camera and laugh in your face.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Great news @Anto

As many probably know from my ranting on about it, my install for my sisters new house was Dahua and I was very impressed and am not going back to Hikvision for new installs for friends and family. Not replacing my existing Hikvision stuff though until it's dead or massively out-dated. I also will keep recommending Hikvision as an option for noobs but ask them to research Dahua.

If the choice was LTS or Dahua that would be better. Hikvision really are a horrible company.

Last edited by a moderator:

karunakar

n3wb
Reaction score
Word of caution, not all new hik turret models have a metal base.

My Dahua turret IPC-HDW4431C-A has a plastic base.
Yes not all Hik turret have metal casing and this one for sure has it as i have checked with the seller (DS-2CD2345-I )