Dahua P2P Issues

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello Gents
I setup 2 Dahua cameras for my uncle and they are working fine, except I am not able to view them remotely, I can log into the web login and check under network P2P and is enable but the camera is offline, I try to set it up using SmartPSS and is also offline , my uncle has AT&T INTERNET SERVICE and uses their router. In my house I have some of the same Dahua cameras and my internet service is Spectrum buy I use a Asus router, Now, I don't think I had to do any port forwarding in my house and I can view my cameras remotely on my phone app gDMSS,.
My uncle has Iphones and uses iDMSS, any ideas what the problem could be?
Please let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Chewie

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
No port forwarding required for P2P. When you say you log into the web login, it's not clear to me if you're doing that on the local network or remotely. Do you have the correct camera serial numbers entered into iDMSS and smartPss?

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do not port forward. Use the VPN built into your router.
Hello CCTVCam, regarding the router , my uncle has the AT&T router and P2P is not working, I have this router
ASUS AC1900 WiFi Gaming Router (RT-AC68U)
And it works like a charm, I think my uncle is going to switch to Spectrum, if he does, I am going to suggest to get a router like mine, I am not going to port forward any cameras.

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No port forwarding required for P2P. When you say you log into the web login, it's not clear to me if you're doing that on the local network or remotely. Do you have the correct camera serial numbers entered into iDMSS and smartPss?
Hello tiger
I was using the local network for the setup, I was entering the correct serial numbers, He has 2 new cameras, I try both serial numbers and the same thing both offline.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the passwords have to be correct also. I'm only an occasional user, and with an NVR, and have likely exhausted my knowledge of this.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you sure he's using Peer to Peer because it seems to me if he's trying to connect to his father's NVR from his house via his network. That would involve using the internet to connect would it not?

Wouldn't P2P work only if in WiFi range of his father's router? I'm no expert myself on networking btw, but it seems reasonable to me because I understand P2P to mean the connection of 2 computers directly on the SAME network. Once you're outside of the range of the Wifi, the phone is on a different network to the cameras.

That might also explain why he can't get a connection if he's external but has only enabled P2P as a connection method.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
if p2p is enabled and status says offline, then you may not have the tcp/ip of camera set to DHCP ?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
P2P works over the outside Internet. Without an open port, a router will not accept unsolicited incoming messages from the Internet. It will. however, accept responses to outgoing requests, which is how web browsing works. P2P uses this mechanism to connect a remote DMSS or smartPss to a device on a local network without any open ports. The NVR or camera on a LAN sends requests to advertise itself to Dahua's P2P server. The remote DMSS or smartPss program also sends requests to the P2P server. When the server sees a serial number match, it gets the two ends talking directly to each other and gets itself out of the way.

A scheme called UDP Hole Punching is likely used. When a system sends out a request, the firewall temporarily opens a port to allow responses to get through. (A hole is punched in the firewall.) Once both ends of the new connection have the others' public IP address provided by the P2P server, they send a request to each other. One or both of these initial incoming requests will be rejected by the firewalls, but the outgoing request opens a port for future data to get through. The two ends of the connection are then free to exchange data. For security the temporarily open port automatically closes after a time interval of inactivity.

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if p2p is enabled and status says offline, then you may not have the tcp/ip of camera set to DHCP ?
Hello Dudemaar, I did not have the tcp/ip set to DHCP, is set for Static, but all the cameras at my house are set to static and all my cameras are online and I can view them remotely, that is why I set my uncle to static, I seen a video where they set the the cameras to DHCP, if I set it to DHCP is the IP address is going to remain the same?

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I noticed that the P2P function only works and we can view them on our phones when I am within the range of my uncles WIFI .

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I know by default the cameras are set on static to 192.168.1.108. So if the router gateway is on same subnet 192.168.1.xxx ?

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know by default the cameras are set on static to 192.168.1.108. So if the router gateway is on same subnet 192.168.1.xxx ?
Hello dudemaar - I am sure the the cameras gateway are in the same subnet.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I noticed that the P2P function only works and we can view them on our phones when I am within the range of my uncles WIFI .
sounds like your internet may be behind multiple NAT systems. I have this issue a few times with rural wireless internet providers. apparently you have to call the provider and get them to open a certain port, then use that port on your cameras.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are viewing the cameras from wifi on the same network that the cameras are on, there's a very good chance you're not viewing them using P2P. Static IPs are ok. Static or dynamic, the IP is different out on the Internet. I have my NVR using P2P, not the cameras, and view the cameras through the connection to the NVR. It's using a static IP. To connect remotely I use smartPss and need to have the correct serial #, user ID, and password entered into smartPss.

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
sounds like your internet may be behind multiple NAT systems. I have this issue a few times with rural wireless internet providers. apparently you have to call the provider and get them to open a certain port, then use that port on your cameras.
My uncle is going to change providers, he is paying for 100 mbps and he is only getting 50 mbps, we were told by the provider that that is all the speed they can provide in his area.

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to verify, when you put the 2 cameras into DMSS you did so with the serial #s and NOT the IP addresses of the cameras, correct? I made the mistake of putting my NVRs IP address into my DNSS app once, and the DMSS app would work when I was on the local wifi, but as soon as I went off the local wifi, and was on 4g/5g, my NVR would always show offline. That's because it was trying to access it via the IPv4 address instead of the serial #, which wont work if you're not on that network anymore. Had to delete the NVR from my DMSS app, and re-add it but using the serial # instead. Then I was able to access my NVR from the local wifi and also from 4g/5g.

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are viewing the cameras from wifi on the same network that the cameras are on, there's a very good chance you're not viewing them using P2P. Static IPs are ok. Static or dynamic, the IP is different out on the Internet. I have my NVR using P2P, not the cameras, and view the cameras through the connection to the NVR. It's using a static IP. To connect remotely I use smartPss and need to have the correct serial #, user ID, and password entered into smartPss.
Hello Tigerwillow1 - there is no NVR at my uncles house , when I try to setup the cameras in the smartPSS they also read offline.

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to verify, when you put the 2 cameras into DMSS you did so with the serial #s and NOT the IP addresses of the cameras, correct? I made the mistake of putting my NVRs IP address into my DNSS app once, and the DMSS app would work when I was on the local wifi, but as soon as I went off the local wifi, and was on 4g/5g, my NVR would always show offline. That's because it was trying to access it via the IPv4 address instead of the serial #, which wont work if you're not on that network anymore. Had to delete the NVR from my DMSS app, and re-add it but using the serial # instead. Then I was able to access my NVR from the local wifi and also from 4g/5g.
Hello Jesse - I used the serial numbers of the cameras, I also try the IP's of the cameras and it does the same thing, they are are always offline.