Dahua PFA137 junction box - is top/bottom orientation important?

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The PFA137 is a round junction box, and I wanted to mount it on a vertical wall. It's marked inside with a "top" and "bottom" to show the intended orientation when mounted on a vertical wall, like this: The conduit opening is on the bottom and the right side.

intended.jpg

If I want the conduit opening coming from the left instead, is it OK to rotate it 90 degree clockwise so it looks like this? I figured that it might be important for the bottom conduit opening to exist so that water can drain out? Is there something else I'm not seeing that makes the top/bottom orientation important?

Do you drill a hole in the plastic conduit cover to allow for water to exit the junction box?

what_I_want.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Either way should be OK imho. As long as the conduit opening is not on the top.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It is probably less about letting water exit and more about not having an opening on top for water to pool and enter the enclosure.

The only thing I can think of that could perhaps be an issue is if the proposed orientation forces the camera you plan to put on it into a strange position that cannot be corrected by the mount, otherwise you should be totally fine with your implementation.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is probably less about letting water exit and more about not having an opening on top for water to pool and enter the enclosure.

The only thing I can think of that could perhaps be an issue is if the proposed orientation forces the camera you plan to put on it into a strange position that cannot be corrected by the mount, otherwise you should be totally fine with your implementation.
I agree.

It's best to try and prevent water coming in to begin with, as it's not easy convincing water to leave a gasketed box, even at the bottom; with no positive pressure to force the water out, a hole large enough to depend on gravity AND overcome water's natural surface tension and viscosity might come with its own issues...like bugs.

To be safe, I always weatherproof my outdoor connections, even inside of a 'waterproof' box.