Dahua pinhole camera

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there a particular aesthetic reason you want a pinhole? They cost more, you lose IR, a physical Infrared Cut Filter, and the lens aperture is significantly smaller so night performance suffers.

Reaction score
I would like to know experiences too. At least we have asthetic reasons. I couldn't find any reviews or demo videos in Youtube.
For us: Price doesn't matter, IR is not in use, but low light performance should be decent. Do you think this lacks the usual performance of the starlight cameras? Link: ipc-hum8231-l3

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice with pinhole STARVIS ! Looking forward to someone being the guinnypig and trying it out for the rest of us ;D
I have several places i could use these cams. Lots of airwents where it could look out through one of the gaps. Regular cams can be avoided and/or trashed but if you cant see it you cant hide from it !

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in let the cam be seen! About a year ago some random truck pulled up to my house, guy gets out and walks up to my door, as soon as he sees the camera (he looked right into it) he turned around, jumped back in his truck and peeled out as he drove off.

Let em know they are being watched.
Yep, i meant more like a backup camera if someone decided to throw rocks at the cams or something ;D
Also it could be nice to have them inside the house not to clutter the interior.

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I own the 8230 and it is not good at all. Horrible low light performance, even using the larger L3 F1.8 lens module. I asked for any feedback here before I purchased and got none, so I decided to be the guinea pig. It has been sitting in the box since I tested it. Not worth installing. Will probably wind up in the trash next time I clean the basement.
Wow how can it be that bad, i imagined it would atleast be on par with a regular sensor 2MP Dahua IPC as its starvis.
I can think of alot of uses for such a cam, no way i would let it sit in a box. I would probably place it at my porch where a cute mice lives and get some nice footage lol. Oh well, good to have an answer atleast, wont be buying one now thats for sure..

Sell it on the forums. I am sure someone wants to try it.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I own the 8230 and it is not good at all. Horrible low light performance, even using the larger L3 F1.8 lens module. I asked for any feedback here before I purchased and got none, so I decided to be the guinea pig. It has been sitting in the box since I tested it. Not worth installing. Will probably wind up in the trash next time I clean the basement.
Any chance you can post pics? Just curious myself.

slodat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m using a few my 5231R-Z’s with rather minimal lighting and IR disabled with excellent results.

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I see what you mean @TenderTendon. The 8230 control shot really lacks clarity - most of the pattern on the blue bedspread is not visible.

The videos are unavailable.

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Videos working now, tks. The 8230 is magic - you are invisible for part of the video. lol