Dahua SD1A203T-GN

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

New here and been lurking these forums for a few weeks. Looking to install 1 cam right now and possibly adding another later. The cam im looking to install now is going to go to the right side of my garage at the sofit. Maybe 15 feet in the air. There are no street lights on my road so im looking at the IR version. First question. Would the SD1A203T-GN-W wireless version do what I need considering that I am looking at 2 cameras max? I know everyone recommends wired, but im looking to keep costs down and keep things simple. I will have the camera recording to the on board micro SD card and access the files if needed. I realize even with wired I can store to the SD card, however this adds $150 for cable. Had someone pounding on the door and ringing the doorbell at midnight the other night so goal is to be able to get video of anyone/plate numbers of anyone parked and walking up the driveway. The eventual 2nd camera is going to be setup pointed at my front door. Please give honest feedback regarding how well the wireless would work for this scenario.
Thank you guys very much!

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Ditch the wireless idea, too unreliable for real security purposes. $150 for cable for a wired camera? Are you putting it in yourself or paying someone to do it? A pre-made cable can't cost more than 20 or 30 bucks at worst. Consider either a doorbell camera, the only place wireless even even marginally acceptable, or a wedge camera over the door. At 15 feet in the air you chances of being able to get really usable video in terms of identification, especially license plates, is questionable as well. In fact, license plate cameras are usually a dedicated camera because the settings needed to read highly reflective license plates at night are vastly different from "normal" video settings for facial/scene use. Look at the Wiki and read the document listed there before you get caught in too many traps from not enough knowledge.

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. $150 for cable is buying a 1000' spool to run wire from my basement to where the camera would go. nowhere near 1000', however would use it again for the 2nd camera if I went that route. Would need to measure, but im sure I could get a pre-made cable for less. I will look at the Wiki to see what else II can gather from it. I could lower the camera and mount it to one of the Dahua mounts if needed. I just think it would be nice to have a camera over the driveway/walkway to catch anyone headed up. I will checkout what doorbell cams are out there that will hookup to my current indoor bell/transformer and have on board SD storage.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
There are a couple of threads on doorbell cameras running in here - Sweet! LTS is releasing an ONVIF compatible doorbell with SD card slot and 940nm IR is one. After you read the Wiki stuff you may conclude that mounting a camera that high isn't the best solution. You can buy a 500 foot spool of CAT cable as well, about half the price or just go with re-made cables. Worst case, you can buy a pre-made, cut one end off to make routing it easier, and re-terminate that end once it's in. That assumes you already have RJ45s and a decent crimper, of course. RJ45s are cheap, but a decent crimper is a few bucks worth. Overview cameras are nice to catch initial "intrusion" but it takes something lower down to get enough detail to make the video worthwhile for positive identification purposes. Think about the angle you're creating, looking down at what you're trying so see, the closer to the camera the sharper the angle. A hoodie on top of that angle will make real identification impossible.

Personally, I don't think door bell cameras are worth all the headaches, problems and lack of reliability, AKA WiFi headaches. Recording to an SD card on a device that can be easily pulled off and stolen doesn't seem effective to me. If someone would make one that is PoE it would be worth the effort to get a cable in, basically pop the trim inside, route the cable and be done with it. In place of that a wedge over the door or adjacent to the door gives the same kind of coverage without the problems of WiFi and all the other crap that seems to plague all door bell cameras plus insures quality video. Just my opinion based on comments on this board.

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have any recommendations on a decent wedge camera? I also dont have an issue placing a nice camera lower on my garage to get whomever does decide to walk up. We have had someone try getting into our cars 6 months ago so thats why im so insistent on something pointing over them/the driveway. Maybe do a wedge camera above the door and a PZT on the driveway?

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the front of my house. The red circles are the 2 places I was originally looking to add cameras. Any feedback for these specific locations?

Attachments

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Add a third camera on the left side of the garage door. You want to be able to see both sides of the cars, and if it's really "bad" maybe another down the middle. For a wedge camera, the mini dome listed in the Cliff Notes is a good choice in your case being under a porch roof. You can also contact Andy at Empire and ask him, he's a true Dahua expert and the ONLY place to buy Dahua cameras.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the front of my house. The red circles are the 2 places I was originally looking to add cameras. Any feedback for these specific locations?
Looks like the house is under construction. Is the drywall up inside yet? Will you have a chance to run any cable before the drywall goes up?

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Awsum! What model Dahua would you recommend for the sides of the garage? Is what I have circled in the pic too high to mount them?

tangent, This is an old picture and the house has been finished for a few years now. It's just the first ! was able to find. Had I thought about it at that point I would have loved to run wires to their ideal spots. Now I need to work with putting things where I can easily. The garage is also drywalled, which will make it more difficult.

Thanks guys!

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The "goto" low light camera, as mentioned in the Cliff Notes, is the 5231R-Z or 5231R-ZE. Excellent low light performance and great video in full light as well. Don't fall into the megapixel trap, 2MP with the right sensor is far superior to a 4MP especially under low light conditions. Dahua will be bringing out a 4MP version sometime in the future, but right now these are about as good as it gets without getting a mortgage on the house.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
On the top right of the picture, below the eave, wouldn't that be too high?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some other locations you could put cameras:
upload_2018-4-2_14-12-6.png
I'd go lower near the garage, which shouldn't be too hard. But you might have a few neatly installed, exposed cables in the garage.

Looks like vinyl siding.

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is vinyl siding. Thanks tangent. I am working on getting a dedicated PC to connect the system up to. I'm only looking to install 1-2 cameras to start then add to the system eventually, but there's plenty of options to put cameras based on your picture. Im assuming those are optimal spots

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So being that I'm a complete newb at camera placement and assuming I will install 3 cameras_2 over driveway and 1 by door, which locations on the above photo would you guys choose if it were your house? I like the fact that the location on the side of the door would give optimum picture of anyone, however I also don't want the ugliness of the cam being right there. Would wall mount directly above the door work just as well? Sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure I'm doing it the best way. As I was always told " measure twice cut once". Similar to this install scenario lol

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't figure out how to edit my last post, but what lens would be required for the wedge above the door if that's what is reccomend? Thanks!

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
If you can get access, with a snake, into the porch ceiling I'd ceiling mount one off to the side like Tangent indicated. The one on the side of the door could be a doorbell camera which would give you a good view of anyone walking toward the front door. It'll turn out to be a choice of cable access versus easier, but not as good, video. If you can get access to above that ceiling, the second camera covering the driveway could also be ceiling mounted which would make it less obtrusive. If you're going for unobtrusive, stick with the 5231R-Z, it has a white face versus the ZE which has a black face.

If you look at the very bottom of your post you'll see an "edit" button.

If you use the wedge, a short focal length would be fine since you're interested in good detail at close ranges rather than monitoring the front lawn.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Either way if I can't mount to the porch ceiling I can always mount to the house up in that far left porch corner and run down the wall studs. Would the mini wedge be ideal for that location or the starlight 5231R or is there a better option than both of these? Originally you guys had said a mini wedge above the door, however that's off to the corner. People walk up both the far right side of the porch to get to the door and we now have a walkway from the driveway up to the front door in a "r" shaped curve about 6' from the porch foundation. Looking to order 1 cam to start with to get the rest of the system setup and working and then add another 2 and I'd like to get that one going first. Sorry with all the questions, but I figured who better to ask than the guys who deal with this stuff all the time. Thanks!

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The wedge would be more "site" specific for use near the door. For ceiling mount the 5231R would probably be best. s with anything, your own judgement and requirements are the ruling factor.

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just ordered a 5231R from Andy along with 500' of solid cat5e today. Looking at POE switches now and have a PC I'm getting ready to setup for BI. First and only cam at the moment. Going to try mounting on the porch ceiling. Fishing through the actual ceiling wont ge as bad as getting it down that wall there.