Dahua Smart PSS issues and P2P security concerns

Batman15

n3wb
Reaction score
Good Morning:
I just purchased a Dahua XVR X72A3A. I am running Catalina Mac OS 10.15.3 and Smart PSS 2.0.3. I have had several issues that I reported starting back in 12/2019 to Dahua Technical support. I was told that they would be addressed in the next release of Smart PSS. Well after waiting on hold and for email responses, I finally got my answers today along with some disturbing news as follows:
1. The issue of moving the Smart PSS application window from my primary iMac monitor to my connected Dell second monitor, the camera view windows all zoom. Please see attached pictures. The only way to fix this is to move the Smart PSS back to the iMac and allow the live view window to refresh.
2. When exiting the Smart PSS application it crashes. I sent the crash file to Dahua technical support and was told (by Juan) they will not address the issue.
The reason neither of these issues will be fixed, is because they have decided to EOL Smart PSS and replace it with DSS express S which does not have a MAC client as of this email. But supposedly they are working on one. However, there is no projected release date.

When I asked what security / encryption was being used in conjunction with their P2P on the XVR, I was told "We cannot give out that information and we never will". So I have to assume that they are simply using the standard TCP and UDP ports without security or encryption. Which means that they have a backdoor into your system (because they provide the P2P link between your phone and your DVR) It also means that anyone can capture your packets, could see your camera video feeds and more.

I would appreciate any feedback or comments on the window issue and P2P security question.

Respectfully;
Mark K.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua has a lousy track record on SpartPSS and iDMSS improvements....

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Make sure P2P is disabled on each and one of your cameras. They are usually enabled by default prior to setting up.

Batman15

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! I just finished configuring my old MacBook to be a VPN server. I turned off P2P altogether on the XVR. I could not find where to turn off P2P on each camera. I have 5 Dahua A211K02 cameras and I have 4 A-CB7D36PI or A-CB7D60P bullet cameras. Perhaps they don't have P2P capability?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You should be able to find it under the settings page in the camera's UI as pictured below. Login into camera UI, go to Settings > Network > Access Platform > in P2p, Untick the Enable box

1585419482780.png

Thanks for your reply! I just finished configuring my old MacBook to be a VPN server. I turned off P2P altogether on the XVR. I could not find where to turn off P2P on each camera. I have 5 Dahua A211K02 cameras and I have 4 A-CB7D36PI or A-CB7D60P bullet cameras. Perhaps they don't have P2P capability?

Batman15

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the picture! My cameras are all BNC. I think that IP cameras have the P2P individual settings but the BNCs do not.