Dahua Starlight (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) Compatability

Reaction score
Hi all,

First of all, I'm a complete n00b when it comes to security cameras and am looking to expand my current setup:

4 x Cameras (LTS CMIP8242W):
Platinum Mini IR Bullet Camera 4.1MP - 4mm White, CMIP8242W

NVR (LTS LTN8708-P8):
8 Channel NVR with 1U Case, LTN8708-P8

I foolishly purchased the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z thinking it would be compatible with my NVR.

The data sheet for the Dahua mentioned that it supported "H.265 & H.264" encoding, which I think my NVR supports since my cameras use "H.264 / MJPEG/H.264 Zip+".

- I swapped the Dahua with one of the working cameras on my system and there was no image.

- I tried connecting to the camera using ONVIF Device Manger and Config Tool 3.20.0 without success- nothing shows up.

- I tried manually adding the camera via the default IP address of 192.168.1.108, admin/admin, port 37777 and no luck.

The seller I bought the camera from lists it as 'English Firmware'. My next guess is that maybe I need to flash an NTSC version of the firmware since maybe it's PAL and not compatible?

The problem is, I have absolutely no idea how to flash the firmware if I'm unable to connect to the camera.
I've searched these forums/youtube/google without any success.

I would really appreciate any guidance on implementing this new camera.

If it's not compatible with my system, then I'm open to upgrading my NVR as long as I can keep my existing cameras. My price range is $200-$300 for an NVR compatible with all of my cameras, so an 8-channel one is all I need for now (unless there are 16-channel at that price range).

Thanks guys!

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
If you can't talk to the camera with the config tool and ONVIF device manager, don't bother trying to add it to the nvr. The nvr won't be able to talk to it either. The config tool might need to be configured for the address range that it searches. I'll leave this part of the puzzle to those who know more about it than I do. I seriously doubt that PAL vs. NTSC firmware matters in any way.

Once you're able to communicate with the camera, I can pass along some experience. I ran a Dahua camera (different model) with an LTS nvr. Adding to the nvr with the camera's fixed IP address and password worked with no hitches. 24x7 recording worked great, and that's the end of what worked. Forget about using motion detection and/or IVS events with the Dahua camera. You will not be able to make any configuration changes through the nvr. If you don't use the same brand cameras and nvr, you will keep bumping into things that don't work correctly. If you insist on mixing camera brands, Blue Iris might be the only good solution. I ended up going all Dahua.

As far as the "foolish" part goes, if all you do is read what the manufacturers say, it's perfectly reasonable to expect mixed systems to work correctly using ONVIF. To say the claims are exaggerated is an understatement.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
"If you can't talk to the camera with the config tool and ONVIF device manager, don't bother trying to add it to the nvr."

I had to turn off the ONVIF inside the camera and turn it on inside the NVR. It works just fine on my Hikvision NVR.

Reaction score
"If you can't talk to the camera with the config tool and ONVIF device manager, don't bother trying to add it to the nvr."

I had to turn off the ONVIF inside the camera and turn it on inside the NVR. It works just fine on my Hikvision NVR.
Can you show me where you turned off the ONVIF? I popped the camera open but I couldn't locate anything other than a small black button that resets the camera if held for 5 seconds (the green LED light inside turns off and on again).

I also took a look at the manual without success.