Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Hopefully, someone here can upload a .zip file containing the plugin. The download page server may be temporarily down.
Same problem. (download?)page is unavailable.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hopefully, someone here can upload a .zip file containing the plugin. The download page server may be temporarily down.
I hope so, because the state it's in now; it's pretty much useless...

@EMPIRETECANDY; could you perhaps help me with this one?

Last edited:

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey buddy, you can use firefox for the plugins, the IE not very good working sometimes. For the pale moon one where to download, can share a link here?@arjun
Still the same problem. Firefox also asks for me to install the plugin; but I can't download it. It brings me to <IP-adressofIPcamera>:/webplugin.exe and an error.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
See if this works for you.
webplugin is attached.
That works for Internet Explorer. I've got the image, but the UI is completly messed up. Stream is above the rest of the settings etc.
Pale Moon is also working.
Firefox and Chrome have no image visible.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a 1080p pc/laptop screen.

Anyway; IE is working, albeit with a f*cked up UI.
Only the upper left part of the video is showing in live mode and while in settings the stream is misplaced in the UI.
Chrome with IE tab extension is also showing the upper left part of the stream, both in live and settings mode. Not with a misplaced stream in the UI though.
Firefox does not work (still fails to download the plugin).
The only browser that really works is Pale Moon.

I've placed the camera on the wall yesterday and while I still have to fiddle with the settings; it looks like it's going to be a whole lot better then the Hikvision dome it replaces.
Even with IR off; it had a very usable quality at night. (there is a street light nearby though).
It was more difficult to install than the Hikvision though; I have made several scratches on the camera'ball' already...

I've set it up with a 4GB memory card I had laying around; I've still not decided whether I go with a 64GB card or with the NVR4108-4KS2. Both have their pro's and cons.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I have a 1080p pc/laptop screen.

Anyway; IE is working, albeit with a f*cked up UI.
Only the upper left part of the video is showing in live mode and while in settings the stream is misplaced in the UI.
Chrome with IE tab extension is also showing the upper left part of the stream, both in live and settings mode. Not with a misplaced stream in the UI though.
Firefox does not work (still fails to download the plugin).
The only browser that really works is Pale Moon.

I've placed the camera on the wall yesterday and while I still have to fiddle with the settings; it looks like it's going to be a whole lot better then the Hikvision dome it replaces.
Even with IR off; it had a very usable quality at night. (there is a street light nearby though).
It was more difficult to install than the Hikvision though; I have made several scratches on the camera'ball' already...

I've set it up with a 4GB memory card I had laying around; I've still not decided whether I go with a 64GB card or with the NVR4108-4KS2. Both have their pro's and cons.
@lemand91 maybe you can share us the hikvision and the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, then we can check how good is this new one is, lol..

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@lemand91 maybe you can share us the hikvision and the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, then we can check how good is this new one is, lol..
I've sold the Hikvision but still have some snapshots and videos. But I'll have to dive in the settings of the Dahua to get the best picture out of it. That is probably going to a long process.
I'm probably not going to share stills out of privacy reasons.

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Testing the pics, this is the most important things, sometimes we will get some cams can't power on from dahua, do this can make sure all cams sent are the good working ones, we ship 200-300pcs cams everyday , so can't make the fully testing.
I think that is great that you test them. While it seems like a lot of work, it's a nice benefit for the buyer, having to return a dead camera is a pain.

200-300 cams a day, wow, that's a lot of cameras.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I think that is great that you test them. While it seems like a lot of work, it's a nice benefit for the buyer, having to return a dead camera is a pain.

200-300 cams a day, wow, that's a lot of cameras.
Yeah, so what we shipped out 99.999% can work,but sometimes failed for wrong firmware updating, wrong power and camera failed itself.

pls68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Lol, you are the first guy i will send the replacement. No problem, i send you a email now.
Andy, can you please give me an status update on the exchange of the defect camera? Haven't heard from you in a while.

pls68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I need your help in assessing this screenshot.
empiretecandy was kind enough to test my replacement cam (I had the focus issue) before shipping.
To me the whole picture seems out of focus. At this short distance we should be able to read the labels on the boxes, right? What do think? Thank you for your feedback!
upload_2017-11-9_16-6-45.png

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't know what you're expecting. The image you uploaded is not full hd and i dont think you would read the labels on the boxes without zooming in, especially with 2MP. Maybe you could read the dahua logo on the White/red box. It also depends on the codec and bitrate the main stream was recording while taking this snap...

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If your network goes down, the NVR will automatically pull the stored data from the SD card when the network comes backup to fill in the gaps. That is if you have everything on good Backup UPS's, as you should.
Interesting! I did not know this. Does this happen by default or is there a setting you have to apply for this to take place?