Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

quebec

n3wb
Reaction score
my ze had a focus issue which should be sorted out by now. The ze has a little longer zoom range.
The older model has more of a mickey mouse face (lens plus two separate ir) whereas ze has one solid black block in the center which might be more noticeable. You won't make anything wrong with both models.
Are you able to post a picture with Z similar to the one you posted showing focus issue with ZE?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raidflex

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone have issues with lens reflection? If I zoom all the way out at night I see a lens reflection. Once I zoom in enough this goes away. In the day time there is no issue.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone have issues with lens reflection? If I zoom all the way out at night I see a lens reflection. Once I zoom in enough this goes away. In the day time there is no issue.
Can you post a sample image of the reflection?

raidflex

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you post a sample image of the reflection?
Here are some pics. It also has trouble focusing it seems when zoomed out. The bottom pic is zoomed in about 25%. The camera is mounted under the eve of the second floor, and a 30ft ladder is needed to access, so I really do not want to have to swap it out if I do not need to.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, yeah mine do not do that...it almost looks similar to IR reflection you would see from some some cameras but of course these do not have domes.
Is it only when IR is on or similar issue during the day?
If only with IR, a wild guess is that somehow the IR light is leaking internally past a seal or something and getting in between the sensor and the lens if that is even possible.

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you try by tilt down a bit the camera and see if the issue vanishes ?

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here are some pics. It also has trouble focusing it seems when zoomed out. The bottom pic is zoomed in about 25%. The camera is mounted under the eve of the second floor, and a 30ft ladder is needed to access, so I really do not want to have to swap it out if I do not need to.
I get the same problem if the cameras IR light bounces off the underside of the roof. You can try to mount it a bit lower or make somekind of a hood that stops the IR light from shining on the inside of the roof.

The reflection is also throwing of the focus mechanism that tries to focus on the flares.
I think the ZE cameras has a different IR lights configuration or mayby that the outer glass is wider could make it more prone to flares but i think moving it down 3feet will fix this. Mayby even less but its hard to say, you have to try different heights.

In the first pic you can clearly see the light is very strong on the overhang/roofing and thats bouncing back into the lens.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Definitely some IR reflection going on, but have you tried cleaning the lens also? Looks like what I get on a couple of cameras when a gecko or other creature decide to take a nap on the camera....

raidflex

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is a daytime shot fully zoomed out, I do not seem to have issues in daylight. At night it is very dark because our lot an interior lot with basically no light sources. I didn't even think about the reflecting, the camera is mounted pretty close to the eve. I also may try tilting it down more before attempting to move the camera.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Yeah, most likely from reflection from the sofit it's mounted to.

Probably the best solution is to move the camera closer to the fascia. So the IR has no place above it to reflect from.
This why a 24hr temporary test mounting is very helpful.

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where are you guys getting the firmware for this cam?
I'm having issues with this and tried to update to ntsc firmware to see if it made any difference, but now it is even worse.
At best there is about a 5 second delay between what happens and what you see on the screen, but it is usually much much slower than that. It has been over a minute behind and trying to troubleshoot this is a pita!
I have tried multiple power sources, plug in 12v and POE.
Firmware on it now is 2.460.0000000.16.R, Build Date: 2017-09-04. It was the same number, but 15.R and the date was 2017-09-07 IIRC and PAL.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Where are you guys getting the firmware for this cam?
I'm having issues with this and tried to update to ntsc firmware to see if it made any difference, but now it is even worse.
At best there is about a 5 second delay between what happens and what you see on the screen, but it is usually much much slower than that. It has been over a minute behind and trying to troubleshoot this is a pita!
I have tried multiple power sources, plug in 12v and POE.
Firmware on it now is 2.460.0000000.16.R, Build Date: 2017-09-04. It was the same number, but 15.R and the date was 2017-09-07 IIRC and PAL.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
That kind of delay is not a camera issue..rather a networking issue..avoid the camera feed passing through the router....connect the nvr or pc to the same switch as the router.

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is the link where I got the version I'm using. I'll have to search around for the older firmware.
As far as the networking I have the cam connected to the same switch (24port gigabit) as other cams, but I don't really have the opportunity to be in front of the other cams and at this PC at the same time so I guess I don't know how far off they are, but I really don't think others are this far off. I can see people walk up to the door on a wireless device and it is nearly real time when I hear them open the door.

Another strange issue I'm seeing:
I lost the ability to see anything in the live view and had no IVS showing up under events so I factory defaulted it (again) and everything came back!
Problem is that once I altered the IP address to match my ip scheme that stuff disappeared again! Change the IP back to the default and it comes back! What is that about?!?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is the link where I got the version I'm using. I'll have to search around for the older firmware.
As far as the networking I have the cam connected to the same switch (24port gigabit) as other cams, but I don't really have the opportunity to be in front of the other cams and at this PC at the same time so I guess I don't know how far off they are, but I really don't think others are this far off. I can see people walk up to the door on a wireless device and it is nearly real time when I hear them open the door.

Another strange issue I'm seeing:
I lost the ability to see anything in the live view and had no IVS showing up under events so I factory defaulted it (again) and everything came back!
Problem is that once I altered the IP address to match my ip scheme that stuff disappeared again! Change the IP back to the default and it comes back! What is that about?!?
ivs does not work with smart codec....what are you using to try and live view?

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I had seen someone else have the issue with smart codec and made sure that was off. All I did was change the IP address of the cam and the live view and event stuff vanished.
I had been using internet explorer as well as blue iris, but as far as what I said above it was IE.
I found the .14 version and am going through the process of downgrading now. Hopefully that will sort it.
EDIT:
The .14 version solved my issues. Working much better now.

Last edited:

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How about zooming in? From the specs on Andy's site:

Z: 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens, 97°~34°
ZE: 2.7mm ~13.5mm motorized lens, 101°~31°

According to the FOV angles the ZE should get both wider and narrower than the Z. From the pics on the first page it's hard to tell (the zoomed in photos look the same width, but there's no mention of a controlled zoom in comparison). looney2ns, can you verify they both zoom in the same, or post images directly comparing FOV of the Z vs ZE while fully zoomed in?

My $.02 on the aesthetics of Z vs ZE... I think which is best (hidden vs obvious) depends on the actual crime taking place. If it's a quick 'break the car window, grab some stuff, and run', a mask is all they need for an easy clean get away. You have more of a chance of ID'ing the criminal if he/she doesn't see any cameras (mask are inconvenient/uncomfortable). OTOH if it's a complex heist that will take some time, the criminal might worry more about get away time (in this case a mask is the easy part). In this case obvious cameras would be more likely to drive them off to rob a less secured property. So I believe it comes down to a trade between deterring the pros, and ID'ing the amateurs. In this context, I think a combination of obvious alarm signage and hidden cameras is best.

Thanks,
Kevin