Dahua T5442T-ZE in-depth review

wopi82

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Today I present you a review of Dahua T5442T-ZE. This model is equipped with 2.7-12mm zoom lens and an excellent 4 megapixel 1/1.8 inch CMOS sensor. Compared to 5442TM-AS-LED and 5442TM-AS models, which I’ve already reviewed, this one has twice as much RAM available.

The housing is slightly bigger than TM-AS model. It has only 3 screws for mounting, and – in my opinion – better shape for final positioning and installation. It just snaps easier when you screw it for final position. There is also a sign on the housing, indicating the top part of the camera, so you don’t have to worry about mounting it upside down.

T5442T-E-foty.jpg

From Polish division of Dahua I know that the sensor used in 5442TM-AS camera is not Sony (they didn’t want to tell which one is used, but clearly stated it’s not Sony Starvis), so the only other option that fits with the specs is OmniVision’s OS04A10 CMOS. I think, it is safe to assume, it’s the same sensor in all 54XX/74XX series. Dahua uses image sensors from 3 different manufacturers at this moment – SONY, OmniVision and SmartSens. The last one also has 4MP 1/1.8 inch sensor, but it differs slightly in terms of resolution and pixel size. Sensors from SmartSens are presumably used in new 5MP (3K, 16/9 image ratio) HDCVI analog camera series.

The 5442T-ZE has slightly darker lens than TM-AS model. According to Dahua specs, it starts at f1.8 compared to f1.6 in TM-AS. This is 1/3EV difference. My tests, when comparing both cameras, showed a difference of almost 2/3EV. To balance the brightness level, I had to use 40ms shutter on T-ZE (zoomed out), while 27ms on TM-AS-LED. So either TM-AS-LED is f1.4 or T-ZE starts at f2.0 or the gain scale is shifted. Which one is true? I don’t know. This difference is however not that big and shouldn’t be treated as a serious drawback.

As in case of my other camera with zoom lens, the 5831R-ZE the lens is prone to flare and chromatic aberration. In fixed lens models this is less probable, and the reason for that is because zoom lenses have more optical elements, and light passing through layers of glass is more likely to produce flare and chromatic aberration.

flare1.gif
flare2.gif

There is no wobbling when the lens is zooming. Autofocus is slightly slow but precise. I haven’t observed any issues with wrong focusing or soft edges as in case of 5831R-ZE. When zoomed all the way in, the lens looses about 1EV of light. So lens brightness starts at f1.8 at wide end, and ends at f2.5 at tele.

EV-drop.jpg

Talking about the zoom… once I’ve wrote this post:

And while it is true for all my photography lenses and my 25-400mm zoom camera, it somehow doesn’t work with Dahua zoom cameras. I found it to be false when dealing with 5831R-ZE. I couldn’t figure out, what was going on, and left this problem for a while. But now, playing with 5442T-ZE, I thought it is good time to recalculate this issue again. I’ve spent quite a bit of time measuring, searching and calculating again and again. Finally came to one conclusion… Dahua is messing up with numbers.

In most cases their cameras are available in following variants:

Fixed lens: 2.8mm/3.6mm/6mm

Varifocal lens: 2.7mm-12mm

Looking at these values, it seems the zoom version has clearly better range, than all 3 fixed options together. In reality it is not as it seems. If you look at the FOV values for 5442T-ZE and TM-AS on Dahua’s page, you’ll see following values (horizontal):

Fixed lens: 113o/89o/56o

Varifocal lens: 114o – 47o

To achieve 56o FOV with 1/1.8 inch sensor, the 6mm fixed lens is actually a 7mm, and varifocal lens ranges between 2.6mm and 9mm.

info01.jpginfo02.jpginfo03.jpginfo04.jpg

I’ve compared T-ZE with EM-AS-LED, and measured their real FOV. In reality the wide end of varifocal lens starts at 105o while the fixed 2.8mm TM-AS is 110o. The long end of varifocal is indeed 47 o. This means the varifocal T-ZE is actually 3mm to 9mm.

wide_vs_wide.gif

There is a phenomenon called lens breathing. Essentially it is a shift in FOV, when changing focus from close distance to far distance. Good quality video lenses are almost free of this phenomenon. Photography lenses exhibit this issue at different levels. In case of Dahua zoom lens the breathing is quite severe. And so, if I shift focus all the way from close to far end, you can see the FOV clearly changes.

lens-breathing.gif

When focus is at its closest distance value, the lens indeed achieves 114o FOV. I suppose, Dahua is testing their lenses with a test board at a very close distance, hence the 114o value. In reality you would mostly focus on distant objects or infinity. In such case the FOV is only 105o.

In summary, when dealing with zoom version, we are not getting declared 114 o, only 105 o, and we definitely are not reaching 12mm (33o FOV) but only 9mm (47o FOV). Now, just compare the FOV values between fixed 6mm and varifocal 12mm. 56o vs. 47o - 9 degrees of difference. Not much. Here is, how it looks in practice:

FOV-calculations.jpg

Why am I writing about this? Because those, who want to use a tele view, will most likely choose varifocal version of the camera over fixed one, looking at focal length values, while in reality the difference is small. You are not gaining much magnification choosing varifocal, but loose 1.3EV - over 50% of light, because at long end the varifocal lens is f2.5 while the 6mm fixed lens variant is f1.6 (at least on paper).

I’m not saying the varifocal camera is worse than fixed one. Both cameras are good and each one has its porpoise. It is just good to know such things, before choosing the right gear for yourself. And don’t worry – the HFW7842H-Z has identical zoom specs as T5442T-ZE and it suffers similar issues (108o-47o). The HDW5831R-ZE is also inconsistent with focal length values, but at least it complies with official FOV values (110o-39 o) and so it has grater “range” than 5442 and 7842.

fov-all-cameras.gif

The image sensor on T5442T-ZE reaches ISO40000 at 100% gain. It’s the same as in TM-AS and TM-AS-LED models and is higher than all other camera models I’ve already reviewed (apart from 4239T-ASE). When compared with TM-AS-LED, both cameras have same noise level when looking at image with no noise reduction. After equalizing lens brightness difference (27ms vs 40ms shutter) they both look identical from gain 0% to 100%. The only difference is when the noise reduction is turned on. It seems NR on TM-AS-LED is slightly more aggressive. Even when I apply additional 2D noise reduction (available after upgrading to SMD 3.0 firmware) the noise is still more pronounced in T-ZE.

GAIN.gif
noise-comparison.jpg

The only real competitor to this 4-megapixel sensor would be Sony’s IMX327 from Dahua 4239T-ASE. There is also an 8MP 1/1.2inch IMX485, already present in Hikvision’s camera, which could probably compete here. But unfortunately Dahua still has no camera model with this one.

At daytime, the T5442T-ZE wins hands down. It has of course better resolution, but also much better WDR function. The WDR on all 5442 models is actually the best of all my reviewed cameras. It has no image artifacts (apart from motion of course), turns on instantly, and keeps good image contrast and color, even at high values.

What happens during night? Here is a video of temporary blackout on the street during night. This is between T5442TM-A-LED and 4239T-ASE, but it applies also to T5442T-ZE. Notice the reaction of both cameras in terms of gain boost, when it gets dark. The 5442 reacts instantly, while 4239 is much slower.

I compared both cameras with basic image setup – factory one. I’ve set zoom position on T5442T-ZE to match FOV of 4239T-ASE. No exposure compensations due to lens differences, no enhancements. When looking at static image, the 5442 looks better. Especially darker areas are handled better and of course the resolution does its job too. But when motion appears, it turns out the 4239T-ASE is doing similar, or even tiny bit better than 5442T-ZE. If I turn on IR night mode, I get additional ~1EV of light. I makes the night image on 5442T-ZE slightly more detailed. The 4239T-ASE has no IR mode. The downside of IR, is that it sometimes affects drastically the appearance of objects on the image. Looking at the example below, it looks like I was wearing white clothes. It makes me more visible, but when someone asks you, what was the person wearing, what would you say? In reality I was all in black.

For me, the conclusion is that if both cameras are doing similar at night, and 5442 clearly wins during the day (in all terms), the final winner is 5442.

Summarizing, the T5442T-ZE is a nice piece of equipment. Being equipped with very efficient 4MP COMS sensor, I consider it as highly recommended for those, who need the best quality image and zoom function. If zoom is not necessary, go for fixed lens version. There is of course a 7442H-Z with f1.2 zoom lens, but it’s a completely different price tag. You can also consider a HFW5442T-ASE-NI with f1.0 fixed lens. For the FOV issue… this is most likely about all zoom cameras from Dahua, not only T5442T-ZE.

kobebeef

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You're right.
7442H-Z expensive in that F1.2 zoom lens.
SONY's CMOS outer ring has a brown frame.
IMX347
SONY347LQ.png

5442T and 7442H both use the same OmniVision's CMOS.
But I'm not sure about the correct model number.
Dahua 5442T CMOS photo.
570504.jpg

OmniVision's CMOS have a green PBC board.

Reolink RLC-810A CMOS uses OmniVision OS12D40.
S12D04.png

Dahua’s CMOS in addition to using SONY and OmniVision,
And use Gcoreinc and SmartSens.
Usually used for cheaper IPC.

Fixed lens selection for 1/1.8” CMOS
2.8 mm F1.6
3.6 mm F1.0, F1.6
6.0 mm F1.0, F1.6

I would prefer to have a 2.8mm F1.0 lens.

The result of my 5442T test.
Firmware V2.820.0000000.2 has BUG.
Image performance is poor.
It is recommended to use V2.820.0000000.0 or V2.800.0000000.22

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
This is an excellent write up. I think @samplenhold even did a test several months ago trying to figure out why the FOV between the models didn't seem to match up with the advertised specs. I think we know that either Dahua is "fudging" the numbers, or they just aren't calculating them properly.

Reaction score
I think @samplenhold even did a test several months ago trying to figure out why the FOV between the models didn't seem to match up with the advertised specs

With the info that @wopi82 and @kobebeef have posted above, I wonder if the real difference in calculated FOV from the varifocal compared to the fixed lens 5442 is that they are using different sensors? Could the fixed lens 5442 be using a Sony sensor and the varifocal using the OmniVision CMOS?

In my thread above, @pozzello chalked it up to different lenses and lens mounts.

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've often wondered about the lens ratings. I always felt the varifocal didn't give much as much of an increase over the 6mm version as I thought. Really if you're wanting more zoom than the 6mm offers might as well just jump up to the z4e. I wonder how accurate it's ratings are.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks to @wopi82 always fantastic review, always do great job!
We will make some good Promotion for this model later this month.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
There is also an 8MP 1/1.2inch IMX485, already present in Hikvision’s camera, which could probably compete here. But unfortunately Dahua still has no camera model with this one.
@wopi82 will grab a dahua one for you next month when i get more samples. This kind of 4K chips has big problem for the supplying, hikvision need 3 months to ready a order...

kobebeef

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have some Dahua CMOS information.
SONY IMX307
IPC-HFW2231SP-S-S2
IPC-HFW3233F-ZSA
IPC-HFW2239SP-SA-LED-S2
IPC-HFW2239MP-AS-LED-B-S2

SmartSens SC2239
IPC-HFW2230SP-S
IMOU IPC-T26EP

SC4238/GC4653
IPC-HFW2431SP-S
IPC-HDW2431TP-AS
IPC-HFW2439SP-SA-LED-S2

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In order to dial in those FOVs, I have made an empirical formula for dialing zoom setting number. Note that this formula is for 4m distance to a wall. Fromt the pictures above, the distance is 3-5 times as large. We end up with a slight differnce in wide angle (2°), while we both agree on 47° in max zoom state. So if your target is at 4m range, use my angles. If it is at 15m range you will have to accept deviations growing to 2° and can estimate accordingly.

Another point to be made in the comparison of varifocal to fixfocal. The fixfocal is usually fixed focus. So you will not be able to use it under a specific distance. The varifocal can be set to very short distances. Depending on the scenario, this may be a deal maker/breaker.