Dahua Technology 49425XBNR 4MP vs Hikvision DarkFighter DS-2DE4225W-DE 2MP

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a good PTZ with 20-30x optical zoom. I'm having a difficult time finding reviews on these. Any experiences?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are comparing a 4MP on the same sensor as the Hikvision 2MP. You need to be comparing like MP/sensor ratios.

You really should be looking at the 2MP 49225.

Here is the review. Dollar for dollar, the 49225 is considered the best bang for the buck. The Hikvision is a dome and that can be problematic with dust/rain, and IR bleed at night.

But if you want to have autotracking, you need to purchase from @EMPIRETECANDY as he is the only vendor that still has the autotrack version.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would like the auto track option, in the 49425XBNR manual it does state that auto tracking is an option, does that mean that BI will support it as well? 1.JPG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI simply takes what video is given to it, so if the camera autotracks, BI records it. I have several PTZs and they are fine in BI.

I have the 2MP 49225 and the 4MP 49425 - they are both on the same size sensor and the 2MP results in better quality because it is on the proper MP/sensor ratio. And it is $40 cheaper than the 49425....

But regardless of whether want the 49425 or the 49425, purchase from @EMPIRETECANDY as no other vendor still has it with autotrack because Dahua eliminated it years ago from this series because it was undercutting their $800 series autotracking camera...

There are lots of threads here where people come here after the fact because they bought it somewhere else (and ironically paid more for it than buying from Andy LOL) and they do not have autotracking. And they changed the chipset so you can no longer flash one bought with the tracking firmware. Andy just happened to purchase a large quantity before autotracking was removed, but those supplies are limited now.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And in case you are concerned about purchasing from him, Andy's cameras are Dahua and Hikvision OEM equipment sold under the names Loryta and Empiretech.

Some of my cameras I have bought from Andy from his Amazon and AliExpress store come as Dahua cams in Dahua boxes with Dahua logos, and some are not logo'd - I think it depends on how many cameras Andy buys if he gets them with the Dahua Logo or not. But regardless, they are Dahua units. If you get a unit that has Dahua on it, then the camera GUI will say Dahua; otherwise it will simply say IP Camera but looks identical except without the logo. Some of his cameras may come with EmpireTech stamped on them as well.

As long you you buy from the vendor EmpireTech or Loryta on Amazon (or AliExpress), they are Andy cams and Dahua or Hikvision OEM.

His cameras and NVRs are international models and many of them are not available through Dahua and Hikvision USA authorized dealers, but his cameras and NVRs are usually better than what you can find from an authorized dealer. You select the country at camera initialization.

You can update the firmware on Andy's cameras and NVRs from the Dahua and Hikvision website, thus proving they are real Dahua and Hikvision. But you will find that the firmware we get from him is actually better and more recent than what is on the Dahua website because many members here provide feedback to Andy and then Dahua makes modifications to the firmware and sends back to him and then he sends out to his customers. These have been great improvements that Dahua doesn't even update their firmware and add to their website. So many of us are running a newer firmware than those that purchase Dahua cameras through professional installers. Smart IR on the 5442 series is one such improvement. Autotracking on the 49225 and 49425 PTZ is another. We got the next version of AI SMD 3.0 prior to anyone else as well.

Look at the threads here where members are actually testing firmware and improving it for Dahua - find a Dahua dealer with that type of relationship that Andy has with Dahua - I don't think you will find it. Look at the Dahua 4k camera on the 1/1.2" sensor as an example - Dahua provided that to Andy for sale before Dahua even made it available and look at all the improvements being made to the firmware from input from customers right here on this site. And the kicker is, we are not Dahua's target market - it is the professional installers...

You do have to be careful with some rebranded cameras purchased from other vendors as they are cameras that are for the Chinese region but have been hacked into English but then are not able to be updated or they will brick. Buying from a reputable source is key to make sure that doesn't happen.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for that information. I was nervous as it's not US product- I just don't want to have to worry about the unit being a cheap knock off and having it fail.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of us buy from him. He has a two year warranty as well. They are full blown Dahua and not a cheap knockoff!

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I would like the auto track option, in the 49425XBNR manual it does state that auto tracking is an option, does that mean that BI will support it as well? View attachment 134671
i think the ptz we sell are the killer for autotracking series on the market with that price. They are using US firmware, so won't be a problem at all.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy, can you tell me the specs on the weather rating? This is going to be in cold weather down to -20F at times.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Question on the camera that has the auto tracking.

Is this a useful feature? I'm looking at having a PTZ next to a 2nd story window that overlooks the backyard. The plan was to have some presets that I can just click to change the position. However, would it be better to have the camera just follow movement? This is more for just keeping an eye on the back yard, 1-2 acres. There's a garden and a couple of spots with livestock.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on your use case. 1-2 acres is a decent size. If someone is walking around back there, wouldn't you want to get the best opportunity to get a clean image? And that would be done with autotracking and it zooming in as they walk around.

If the cost difference between a tracking and non-tracking is close, might as well get the one with tracking - you can always turn it off.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Question on the camera that has the auto tracking.

Is this a useful feature? I'm looking at having a PTZ next to a 2nd story window that overlooks the backyard. The plan was to have some presets that I can just click to change the position. However, would it be better to have the camera just follow movement? This is more for just keeping an eye on the back yard, 1-2 acres. There's a garden and a couple of spots with livestock.
Absolutely without question this is a useful feature.
The PTZ not only tracks the motion, it can zoom in to get good video of people up close. You can use spotter cams in conjunction to signal the PTZ to move to a zone. From there it can get an up close video.
Just saw @wittaj post, he's the one who helped me set mine up.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The people out back should only be us, it's more for tracking predetors or animals getting loose, I would probably have it at a stationary point and if motion was picked up, to zoom in?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They have trouble tracking animals as they are designed for people and vehicles with the AI. There are tricks to make it work.

But yes, you set it up for a stationary field of view (preset) and then when an object is moving, the camera will start to track and zoom in per the setup.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK- I think I would rather buy it with the tracking and if it doesn't work well then no big deal. The important piece for me is the PTZ with presets. I think it would be great for the front of the house as well.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Silly question- how does the detection work? Is it based on what the camera is looking at, or is there a separate sensor that can sense from all angles at the same time?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For the PTZ, the detection works by the field of view preset the camera is looking at, so that is why we use spotter cams to tell the PTZ where to look.

Unless you go to the Hunter series PTZs or some of the other newer exotic ones that have multiple cameras on them, but they start at like $1,800.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can't find a review anywhere for the 49425XBNR. Andy has a good price but I'd like to read some reviews on it first.