Dahua vs Hikvision concerning firmware and support

vkde

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I experiences problems with Hikvision when it came to firmware and support.
As discussed in the Hikvision-subforum in a lot of threads, Hikvision has an annoying regionalization strategy with its firmware which makes it hard to upgrade. Plus, if you need support, they don't help you, if you didn't buy their product at some (expensive) regional distribution channel.

What is this like with Dahua?

VK

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have found that there Dahua firmware updates are very few and very far between. As I understand it, you pretty much run what the camera came with.

vkde

n3wb
Reaction score
I have found that there Dahua firmware updates are very few and very far between. As I understand it, you pretty much run what the camera came with.
Well, this is okay, as long as the firmware version is running fine.....

Anyone ever contacted support of Dahua?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Buy rebranded Hikvision (aka LTS) and you will have support as well as warranty at not much more as OEM. What's the problem?

vkde

n3wb
Reaction score

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua has started posting firmware online, for US models you can get em from: http://dahuawiki.com/USA/IPCamera/

For Chinese models you can get em from: http://download.dahuatech.com/kit_list.php?cid=3834 and we have the capabilities to convert em back to english language thanks to this thread: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/13591-Dahua-Firmware-Mod-Kit-Modded-Dahua-Firmware

For the most part, if its not broken.. dont update it.. but in some cases, it IS broken and a firmware will fix it.. see the conclusion to this recent thread: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/14087-Bench-Testing-a-new-SD50430U-HN-Not-working-properly

Dahua, currently, does not do anything at all to lock down firmware.. and it does much more validation on a firmware file before trying to apply it; for example if you try to apply firmware for the wrong model.. it wont brick it, it'll just error out.. this is nothing like how Hik behaves.

Thats the current state of Dahua firmware.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yep, never use port forwarding.. then you can have insecure firmware and passwords without much worry.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How do you access your NVR remotely if you have no port forwarding set up ?
A lot of folks have setup a home VPN (using @nayr's guide that's floating around in I think the Dahua sub-forum here). Others are using the Dahua P2P feature, where a cloud service plays the middle-man in regards what looks like having the NVR make an outbound connection to the remote device.

djkprojects

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In most home setups firewall is attached to the internet within an ADSL router, at least in the UK which means that even if you were to use VPN or a cloud service and ddns you'd first need to allow traffic to VPN server or your intranet through Firewall so I'm not sure how this is possible without port forwarding. What am I missing here ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What am I missing here ?
Nothing - an inbound VPN needs to talk to a VPN server, so if it's on an internal server, the router/firewall needs to allow it in, eg UDP/1194 default for OpenVPN.
If the server is on the router/firewall itself it's moot.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
In most home setups firewall is attached to the internet within an ADSL router, at least in the UK which means that even if you were to use VPN or a cloud service and ddns you'd first need to allow traffic to VPN server or your intranet through Firewall so I'm not sure how this is possible without port forwarding. What am I missing here ?
For a home or small business network typically the VPN server runs on the router/firewall/other gateway device for the local net. The only port open in that case is the VPN port on that gateway and access to/through it requires a secured, encrypted connection which is provided via handshake with the VPN client.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What am I missing here ?
I may have missed the context. On this forum, when people mention port forwarding, they're almost always talking about directly to a NVR or camera (to make it remotely accessible). Sorry about that.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
For Hikvision, have you considered LaView?