Dahua vs Hikvision uniqueness?

robertsig

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I own a couple Hikvision cameras and due to many posts on this forum, invested in a couple Starlight Dahua cameras as well. My Hikvision can do audio, PoE and Wifi. The Dahuas simply have Starlight. No Wifi or audio (although to be fair, I didn't want it).

That being said, is there anything unique between the two brands that would make someone want 100% one or the other? If you use BlueIris, is there any reason to go all in with one brand or the other?

Or perhaps a better question, is there anything missing from the Dahua or Hikvision lineup that (only) the other has?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I own a couple Hikvision cameras and due to many posts on this forum, invested in a couple Starlight Dahua cameras as well. My Hikvision can do audio, PoE and Wifi. The Dahuas simply have Starlight. No Wifi or audio (although to be fair, I didn't want it).

That being said, is there anything unique between the two brands that would make someone want 100% one or the other? If you use BlueIris, is there any reason to go all in with one brand or the other?

Or perhaps a better question, is there anything missing from the Dahua or Hikvision lineup that (only) the other has?
the dahua startlights all have audio and poe...
wifi is crap and can easily be added to any camera.
hikvision has low light cameras as well.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My guess is that BI support them just about equally.

Personally, I prefer Dahua because the momentum on the forum here has favored Dahua ever since the Starlights models started shipping in late 2016. This means if I run into a Dahua problem, it's most likely already talked about and solved in a thread here (somewhere). It also means that if a new model comes out, it's almost a guarantee that someone here will buy it ASAP and do a quick review.

I also like that the forum has a well-trusted and supportive Dahua OEM reseller (@EMPIRETECANDY). A few times the forum hasn't been able to solve a Dahua problem, he's been able to go direct to Dahua to get a solution (or at least more info).

robertsig

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

the dahua startlights all have audio and poe...
My Dahua Starlights do not have audio. I'm not sure if there is a model that does, but that's what Andy recommended to me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

My Dahua Starlights do not have audio. I'm not sure if there is a model that does, but that's what Andy recommended to me.
They do...some need a mic...what model camera are you using?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
IPC-HFW4231S
the mini bullet as with most dahua/hikvision mini bullets does not support audio...that among many other reasons is why turrets are recommended...the mini bullet is a poor design regardless of brand.

robertsig

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well that's what I thought. So not all Starlights support audio. :mad:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that's what I thought. So not all Starlights support audio. :mad:
ill rephrase, all recommended starlights support audio, didnt think you would be foolish enough to buy the bullet.
the bigger point is that you selected a camera with no audio then compared it to your hikvision with audio...there are hikvisions without audio as well...and the bullet has poe which you claimed it does not.

robertsig

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
WTF? I never said it didn't have poe, but you're the one who said they all had audio, and now you're calling me a fool. You treat everyone this way?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
WTF? I never said it didn't have poe, but you're the one who said they all had audio, and now you're calling me a fool. You treat everyone this way?
Yes I always treat fools that way...
" My Hikvision can do audio, PoE and Wifi. The Dahuas simply have Starlight"....
that is what you said...why even bring up the poe?
you foolishly compared a camera with no audio to one with audio...hikvision mini bullets dont have audio as well...you want to nitpick on the word all or do you want actual information....you seem confused. If you have the hots for hikvision they also have low light cameras like the starlights...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Most starlight models have audio, either a built in mic or an input you connect one too. If you want audio in, swap one out for a different model (and pay more attention to the sepcs on the global/international version of Dahua's website). Then acquaint yourself your local laws regarding audio recording.

Updated links for the starlight lineup can be found here: Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

robertsig

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Glad I could help guys. Honestly I appreciate all feedback. Just starting to get my feet wet in all this. 'Loving Blue Iris!

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have both Hikvision without audio and Dahua starlights with audio and I'm slowly switching out my Hikvisions to Dahua. Having audio is very beneficial...especially when the suspects are off camera you can get an idea of what they are up to (car alarms going off, glass breaking, music on car radios as they dive by ....).

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
I see that the cheaper end starlights are only 2mp. If that's the case, would a $150 Hikivision or Dahua camera 4-6MP with a additional IR illuminator do the job just as well?

My budget is $150~ max per camera. And I need to cover 30-40 feet out, able to see license plate on the streets. I don't think 2MP is enough to see that far out for license plate and face. Unless the zoom can capture that far.

I'm new to this. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks
I have a $700 hikvision 4K turret and can tell you from a night time point of view the hickvision 2 mp low light wipes the floor with it
On the other side that 4K turret with a super fast shutter speed can see the tardis appear in a sunny day in slow motion
Point is use different cameras around the property for specific jobs

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I see that the cheaper end starlights are only 2mp. If that's the case, would a $150 Hikivision or Dahua camera 4-6MP with a additional IR illuminator do the job just as well?

My budget is $150~ max per camera. And I need to cover 30-40 feet out, able to see license plate on the streets. I don't think 2MP is enough to see that far out for license plate and face. Unless the zoom can capture that far.

I'm new to this. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks
Welcome Frankie,

Note if you want to capture license plates during the night you will need to dedicate a camera to do that due to the tuning necessary.

Remember to check out the notes in the wiki as well as the LPR section
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk