Dahua vs Hikvision vs ? quality?

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello, new guy here, been reading, searching, and reading some more. I can’t believe how much great info there is on this site. Many thanks to all of you.

I’m looking to buy an 8 or 16 channel NVR and 4 or more cameras for my home. I currently have 2 Axis POE cameras that will get integrated into my system. During my research, Dahua and Hikvision seem to be coming up the most, but no direct comparison. With the exception of my current Axis cameras, I want my new NVR and cameras to be from the same Mfg. Can you guys tell me how they compare quality wise? Are they among the best available? Who would you say are the top camera and NVR brands? I’m not looking for the best price, I’m looking for the best quality, and good value.

I appreciate any input you all can provide as there seems to be quite a lot of very experienced people here.

Thanks.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I can give some input. I just have to be careful to say it refers to one particular camera type a couple of years ago, and is a single data point as opposed to a valid general statement. I started out with a rebranded Hikvision NVR and a couple of relatively high end 4mp rebranded Hikvision cameras. After setting them up I was disappointed with the image quality. Somewhat out of desperation I bought a chinese market 4mp Hikvision camera and a similar chinese market Dahua camera. The image from the chinese market Hikvision camera was not good (I still have it mainly for testing purposes), while the image from the chinese market Dahua camera was excellent. Finally I saw what I had expected to see. I switched over completely to Dahua, and also ended up liking the features and user interface of the Dahua NVR better. So my vote is to go with Dahua. Just opinion because it take more than one user experience to establish a trend.

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, after a couple more days of research, I’m starting to switch gears and am leaning towards Dahua. When comparing NVR specs, Dahua beats Hikvision in every category.

I would still like to know from the more experienced folks where Dahua slots in the “Good, Better, Best” range?

Also, are most of you using the Pro Series or Lite Series is Dahua products?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, after a couple more days of research, I’m starting to switch gears and am leaning towards Dahua. When comparing NVR specs, Dahua beats Hikvision in every category.

I would still like to know from the more experienced folks where Dahua slots in the “Good, Better, Best” range?

Also, are most of you using the Pro Series or Lite Series is Dahua products?

Thanks.
its toyota/honda, they are virtually the same, you can ask all day long, some prefer hikvision some dahua. Dahua NVR's are no better than hikvision, you need to compare apples to apples, they both have many models. All standalone NVRs are limited. If you want true usability and control look at a vms like blue iris.

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, appreciate the input. I’m looking strictly for an NVR at this time and as wondering who made the best one. In reality, I should be starting with the cameras and figuring out who’s are better and then just get their NVR.

So, who’s making the better quality cameras these days?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, appreciate the input. I’m looking strictly for an NVR at this time and as wondering who made the best one. In reality, I should be starting with the cameras and figuring out who’s are better and then just get their NVR.

So, who’s making the better quality cameras these days?
You will want to match the NVR to the camera manufacture. No standalone NVR will be best. A software vms will always be better.
No one is making better cameras. The both make good and bad cameras. Read the wiki.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
In reality, I should be starting with the cameras and figuring out who’s are better and then just get their NVR.
I totally agree with this. Chances are you'll spend a lot more money on the cameras than the nvr, so choosing the nvr first is "the tail wagging the dog".