Dahua Web Browser (WebService) stop to working (Freeze)

spe99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

After some minutes of Video playback, Internet Explorer is freezing (all is blocked) and I need to close it with "Task Manager" and open IE again.
I don't have another Problem with IE. Only freeze through Web Browser (WebService) .
(IE is the last version)

Anybody have this Problem ?

What I need to do ?

Thanks for help.

Best regards.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like you use IE to view the camera for an extended period. Have you tried VLC instead ?

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I suggest a web browser called Pale Moon. The 32 bit version of Pale Moon still supports all the NPAPI plugins that used to work in Firefox and Chrome years ago (including those provided by most cameras).

Internet Explorer is a terrible web browser and there really isn't any getting around that unfortunately.

spe99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for suggestion, I will try it a soon as possible.
Why Dahua don't developp DVR connectivity compatible with Edge or Firefox ?

Thanks and best regards

spe99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

Still have issue with IE (After some minutes of Video playback, Internet Explorer is freezing (all is blocked) and I need to close it with "Task Manager" and open IE again )

IE is stopped by Microsoft.

Why Dahua develop not their Software with Firefox or Edge ?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't speak for Dahua's reasons, but it is not easy doing low-latency video playback in web browsers.

There are several options for how it can be done (this is going to get pretty technical):

1) HTML5 video. The problem with this is it was not designed for low latency. You can achieve low latency in Chrome, Opera, Brave, the latest version of Edge, and in other browsers based on Chromium. But in older Edge, Internet Explorer, and Firefox, you can't get low latency via HTML5. In those browsers there is a minimum of a couple seconds of delay which is not good for IP cams and NVRs. Also, most browsers only support H.264 video this way, not H.265.

2) WebRTC. This is a technology designed for web browsers to make video calls. It supports low-latency H.264 video (again, not H.265). And it is extremely complex to implement. Between the complexity and the lack of H.265 support, this is not well-suited to IP cams and NVRs.

3) Streaming the video data via web socket or "fetch stream" and decoding the video in JavaScript code. Or, more accurately, C or C++ code that was compiled to run in a browser using emscripten or webassembly. It lets them support any video codec with low latency in all modern web browsers. Unfortunately it is the least efficient way to decode video because they can't optimize the code very well and they can't use hardware acceleration. So it can lead to performance problems especially for mobile devices, and even for fast desktops when you are trying to do 4K at 30 FPS or something.

I am pretty sure that option #3 is what Dahua has been using in some of their newest cameras on recent firmware. I don't know if this has been used in their NVRs yet.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it is the least efficient way to decode video because they can't optimize the code very well and they can't use hardware acceleration. So it can lead to performance problems especially for mobile devices, and even for fast desktops when you are trying to do 4K at 30 FPS or something.
I've certainly seen that websocket operation under Linux is extremely heavy on the CPU when rendering video from Hikvision ColorVu and 8MP cameras with current firmware.
And when processing gets heavy enough under Windows the firmware prompts for a download of the Windows-specific LocalServiceComponents helper program, which runs much more efficiently.
I wonder where that fits under HTML5, if at all.
I'm guessing that it is a Hikvision proprietary solution.
It seems to be installed at an OS level as opposed to being in the browser.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have a Hik newer than the old 2032 bullets so I haven't seen their web interfaces lately. After you install the helper program, do you still view the video in the web browser?