Dahua XVR "video decode failed" error on remote view

cheif

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I am getting an error message, "video decode failed", when trying to view cams remotely with SmartPSS. (Am able to access XVR remotely and even change settings, just no video) Cannot view on phone either but I am able to see cams locally on directly connected monitor and they are recording. I have tried to open via web browser directly to the ip address with no luck. I have set up many of these XVRs and never had this problem before. The only difference in this insatllation is that I have connected the XVR to internet through the lan port on a wifi extender.

Using Dahua XVR5104HE and 2 HDview cams and 2 Dahua cams. Using P2P as network connection

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You sure its trying to pull the substream? IUve not used the P2P methiod, security issues I believe, but that could also be part of the issue?

cheif

n3wb
Reaction score
You sure its trying to pull the substream? IUve not used the P2P methiod, security issues I believe, but that could also be part of the issue?
I used the default encoding settings which have always worked before, (currently have 9 XVRs on SmartPSS all working but this one), and I have tried disabling substream incase the fact that I have it hooked up wireless is causing a bandwidth issue. I have changed bitrate, resolution, CBR/ VBR but nothing has worked.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Sub stream may be all you CAN run. Wireless is likely your problem.

How exactly is your system connected?
  • are you using Smartpss as your VMS?
  • are the cameras wired or wireless?

cheif

n3wb
Reaction score
Sub stream may be all you CAN run. Wireless is likely your problem.

How exactly is your system connected?
  • are you using Smartpss as your VMS?
  • are the cameras wired or wireless?
Smartpss as remote program but I have also accessed via ip address same result and on phone I just get spinning wheels although it shows kbps. Cams are direct coax connected. The only difference with this install from my many others is the XVR is cable connected to a wifi extender through its lan port so basically connected to internet wirelessly.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok so you're using a Dahua NVR and the cameras are plugged into that. I do the same thing and run a Netgear extender from the XVR to my router. (I actually run to a PoE switch first then the wifi extender to that.)

So as long as you're seeing the video local on the XVR it IS decoding. The problem is delivering the video stream to your remote device.

cheif

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so you're using a Dahua NVR and the cameras are plugged into that. I do the same thing and run a Netgear extender from the XVR to my router. (I actually run to a PoE switch first then the wifi extender to that.)

So as long as you're seeing the video local on the XVR it IS decoding. The problem is delivering the video stream to your remote device.
Dahua XVR, CVI and TVI cams connected with coax/ rg59 cable. It's just a 5 in 1 DVR basically. The only non physical connection is between the wifi extender and the modem. I am leaning toward that wifi link as the problem but I wanted to know for sure before I start drilling holes in the tenants floor to make a cabled lan connection. The "failed to decode" error is what has me puzzled. One more thing. When I connect to XVR remotely by IP address with an old laptop that has IE 11 as browser I can see an image under cam settings for on screen display.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I have 2 of the XVrs running a mix of CVI and IP cameras.

Sure seems like its the connection.. My Netgear extender talks to a Netgear 1900 Nighthawk just fine, but its only 35ft from the router

cheif

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I have 2 of the XVrs running a mix of CVI and IP cameras.

Sure seems like its the connection.. My Netgear extender talks to a Netgear 1900 Nighthawk just fine, but its only 35ft from the router
And you have no problem viewing remotely? Maybe I'll just go ahead and run a cable to modem then. Hope that does the trick. I'm also doubtful of the modem speed, could be economy lowest speed

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No, I'm looking at my 12 including three 4MP IP cams and 2 other remote NVRs with 3 2MP IPcams each plus Moms remote XVR running 5 CVI cams right now via the extender on my laptop on wifi via SmartPSS. All substream of course. If I try and go full stream I can only get 2-3 before it chokes.

smartpss-view.jpg

cheif

n3wb
Reaction score
No, I'm looking at my 12 including three 4MP IP cams and 2 other remote NVRs with 3 2MP IPcams each plus Moms remote XVR running 5 CVI cams right now via the extender on my laptop on wifi via SmartPSS. All substream of course. If I try and go full stream I can only get 2-3 before it chokes.

View attachment 58853
Okay, so how do your NVRs and XVRs connect to internet? With a direct cable connection or wifi?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
3 of them connect directly to the home router via hardwire which connects to a cable modem

Mine at home connexts to my home router via the netgear extender